How to know measured values of colors with ColorMunki Photo?

Home Forums Help and Support How to know measured values of colors with ColorMunki Photo?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

skyer
    Participant

Hello!

I have a ColorMunki Photo spectrophotometer. I need to measure some color patches with it and know their RGB or LAB or sRGB values. Is it possible to do this with the DisplayCal?

Calibrite ColorChecker Studio on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

you can get the CIE XYZ values from the measurement file (*.ti3). You’ll have to convert to L*a*b* and sRGB yourself.

skyer
    Participant

Thank you very much, Florian!
    By the way, do you not know whether I can get the measured colour values using the native ColorMunki Photo software? Unfortunately, I couldn’t manage to find a corresponding menu there.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Sorry, I have never used the ColorMunki software. I’d suspect this functionality is only available (if at all) in i1Profiler.

skyer
    Participant

Yes, I read somewhere that the functionality of ColorMunki Photo was intentionally reduced by its software. That’s why I’m looking for alternative software. So far I found just DisplayCal. It’s great that it lets “convert” its own values into more usual values but, frankly speaking, it would be great if it could show actual readings right away.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

it would be great if it could show actual readings right away

That is of very little use for a profiling application.

skyer
    Participant

it would be great if it could show actual readings right away

That is of very little use for a profiling application.

Why? I want to print my own color chart and then read the values of each color. After that, I’ll make a photo of it, open the photo in other software which lets creating your own profiles. I will input there the values of each color patch and save these reading as though I photographed, for example, an X-Rite ColorChecker. However, I can make my chart with much more patches than ordinary charts and it will be for free! Then I’ll use these readings as a reference. The profiling software will make color profiles for my camera for programs like Lightroom, C1, etc.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Why? I want to print my own color chart and then read the values of each color.

DisplayCAL is a display calibration and profiling package. You cannot use it to measure printed targets.

After that, I’ll make a photo of it, open the photo in other software which lets creating your own profiles.

Experience has shown that you will not even get something remotely usable out of such a procedure. A camera is not a spectrometer.

skyer
    Participant

I must have expressed my thought not very clear.

My goal is to make a profile for my camera, not monitor or printer. In order to do this, I can buy the ColorChecker but I thought to myself – why can’t I do my own chart? I can print the chart on my printer. Surely, its patches will have different color values than the original ColorChecker. However, I could use my spectrophotometer to find out what the actual values are. Then I will input these values into the profiling software and will use my own chart in my shootings instead of using the ColorChecker.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I can buy the ColorChecker but I thought to myself – why can’t I do my own chart? I can print the chart on my printer.

The limited spectral distribution of a typical inkjet printing process (or any printing process based on typical dyes and substrates) makes it not very suitable for that task.

However, I could use my spectrophotometer to find out what the actual values are.

Not with a display profiler though. You need reflective measurements for that, not emissive. You can use ArgyllCMS chartread on the command line.

skyer
    Participant

The limited spectral distribution of a typical inkjet printing process (or any printing process based on typical dyes and substrates) makes it not very suitable for that task.

You may be right.

Not with a display profiler though. You need reflective measurements for that, not emissive. You can use ArgyllCMS chartread on the command line.

It’s true but all spectrophotometers can read reflective patches.
    My whole idea looks logical at first glance, but nuances can change everything.

Do you not know whether the colors of ColorCheckers really deteriorate as time goes by? I’m thinking of buying a second-hand Digital SG color chart. The seller says he hardly used it. All the time it was kept in the dark but still, it is about 10  years old I guess.  A new SG chart is way too expensive.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Other options are the CMP Digital Target, ColorChecker Classic or QP Card.

skyer
    Participant

Thank you very much for your help, Florian!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Especially the CMP targets look quite attractive currently. They have a 50% off deal for their 16th anniversary. I’d probably go with the mini variant (matte finish) unless you have studio lighting.

skyer
    Participant

Yes, CMP targets look really good but there are two things that concern me:
    1. It seems like these targets are also printed using inkjet printers. Previously you wrote that it’s not very good.
    2. After buying such targets I guess I’ll have also to buy the LumaRiver software that will cost 200+ euro (only the Repro edition has an ability to use custom and free-form targets and multi-targets). It’ll be rather expensive. However, maybe I’ll be able to use my current software, the 3D Lut Creator (if you happen to like it, I know how you can buy it for less), I’m not sure yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS