How do I revert to default?

Home Forums Help and Support How do I revert to default?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Unless you have standardized lighting (e.g. 5000-6500K daylight bulbs/tubes, with high CRI), probably not. And while you can give a white level target, you can also adjust to the desired level during interactive adjustment and the calibration will not touch it.

Aelius
    Participant

My room is lit exclusively with 90+ CRI 4000K lights (three Cree LS8-80L-40K-10V, to be exact). I’m not sure if they’re any good, but they sure were expensive!

How do I know what the desired level is for white level (cd/m^2) anyway though? My understanding is that the brightness indicator on the interactive adjuster just measures the initial brightness (assuming “as measured” has been set), not that it signifies an ideal “target”, so to speak.

Also, I just noticed that the ambient light level measurement varies from 500 lux under my monitor, 660 lux just in front of my monitor, and 815 lux right beside my monitor (and 820 lux when I put it right up to my face in normal viewing position… just out of curiosity!) Not sure which of these measurements is most useful, but it’s probably moot if I  uncheck “ambient light level adjustment” anyway.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Aelius.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

90+ CRI certainly seems good.

How do I know what the desired level is for white level (cd/m^2) anyway though?

Ignore fixed targets. Your eyes will tell you what a comfortable white level is 🙂

Not sure which of these measurements is most useful.

As you’re not going to use ambient adjustment, only potentially useful for deciding a rough white level target.

Aelius
    Participant

I thought of one more thing. Using the “report on uncalibrated device” tool, I discovered that my uncalibrated monitor has an approx. gamma of 2.50. Does this mean I should not calibrate to a tone curve of 2.2? I seem to recall reading something about this causing excess banding sometimes.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

No, use the default of 2.2.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS