How do I revert to default?

Home Forums Help and Support How do I revert to default?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Aelius
    Participant

I’m a layperson when it comes to calibration. I used DisplayCAL along with my ColorMunki X-Rite Display to perform a calibration on my AW3418DW monitor using Windows 10. I want to reset my calibration to default, but this is proving to be a very confusing ordeal.

I can delete the profile in DisplayCAL, sure, but then what do I set the dropdown menu to? “<Current>”? Do I need to change anything in the Profile Loader? Do I need to reboot now?

And then there’s the bigger issue is what to do with Windows’ settings. It won’t let me remove the profile within Color Management unless I check “Use my settings for this device”. Upon doing so, my whole display changes colors (??? Why?). I can then remove the profile (but then my display doesn’t change colors once more…?? Why?) Do I then uncheck “Use my settings for this device” once more? Do I reboot now too? Why do I still see my custom profile under Color Management -> All Profiles -> ICC Profiles? Do I remove it there too? Do I need to reset video card gamma table too?

And then after all of this tinkering, I’m concerned that I’ve inadvertently messed something up and it’s not truly back to default. However, I know of no standard against which to judge whether my display is back to default. It looks messed up to my eyes, but then who knows if I’ve just gotten used to my old profile?

I’ve diligently read the readme and even searched this forum, but it’s very hard for a layperson to understand this stuff.

Any guidance would be much appreciated! 🙂

• This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Aelius.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So I’m guessing you want to un-assign the profile you installed. The easiest way to do this is via the Profile Loader “Profile associations” dialog (select each assigned profile and click “Remove” until the list is empty). In case you only want to reset calibration temporarily, select “Reset calibration” from the Profile Loader right-click menu.

Aelius
    Participant

So I’m guessing you want to un-assign the profile you installed. The easiest way to do this is via the Profile Loader “Profile associations” dialog (select each assigned profile and click “Remove” until the list is empty). In case you only want to reset calibration temporarily, select “Reset calibration” from the Profile Loader right-click menu.

Thanks. But what do I do within Windows’ Color Management?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Leave as-is. Both are just different GUIs to the same settings, but using the Profile Loader is easier because it can omit all non-display device related settings.

Aelius
    Participant

How do I know if I’ve correctly reverted to defaults? I suspect something is still awry, because I remember when I calibrated this monitor for the first time just a few days ago, my out-of-the-box white balance was heavily green, with red and blue equally low. Now when I try to recalibrate again, it’s blue-heavy, with red and green equally low. I even reset my monitor to factory default to be sure (I got the monitor the same day I recalibrated, so it has definitely been reset back to the way it was when I first ran DisplayCAL.) The monitor has also been powered on for hours, just like it was the first time I calibrated. Everything should be the same, no?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Aelius.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

How do I know if I’ve correctly reverted to defaults?

When you removed (unassigned) all profiles from your display device.

Aelius
    Participant

How do I know if I’ve correctly reverted to defaults?

When you removed (unassigned) all profiles from your display device.

So why is my display not back to the way it was before?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You reset it to factory default. If you want to use the previous display settings (talking about the on-screen menu, not operating system related), you should have written them down before doing so, in that way, you could have restored them.

Aelius
    Participant

I’m sorry for not being clearer, but let me clarify: I do know exactly what my monitor’s on-screen settings were at before my first calibration (factory default), and I put them there. Upon attempting to recalibrate, the interactive display adjustment is not the same as it was the first time. This suggests to me that something has not properly reset. If everything was back to the way it was before I calibrated the first time, then the interactive display adjustment should be the same as it was the first time I attempted to calibrate, correct?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

IF that is the case, then yes. Are you sure you’re using the exact same settings in DisplayCAL as before? Note that during interactive adjustment, calibration is automatically reset.

Aelius
    Participant

IF that is the case, then yes. Are you sure you’re using the exact same settings in DisplayCAL as before? Note that during interactive adjustment, calibration is automatically reset.

Ah, that was why – I had DisplayCAL set to a tone curve of Gamma 2.2 before, but it seemed to have reset to sRGB. Now the interactive adjustment looks like it did before.

Speaking of which, should I have the tone curve set to Gamma 2.2 or to sRGB? I’m always wary of changing defaults, but I seem to recall reading advice to change it to Gamma 2.2…

Thanks for your patience!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The calibration tone curve setting does not influence the whitepoint though, so it must have been something else.

Anyway, gamma 2.2 is the default. If you work a lot with sRGB material outside of color managed applications, you could also choose the sRGB calibration tone curve.

Aelius
    Participant

The calibration tone curve setting does not influence the whitepoint though, so it must have been something else.

Anyway, gamma 2.2 is the default. If you work a lot with sRGB material outside of color managed applications, you could also choose the sRGB calibration tone curve.

Thanks so much for your patience with my follies! If I may bug you for more one thing, though: I work in a very lit environment (660 lux). I’m worried that if I set an ambient light level adjustment then my gamma is going to be calibrated way out of whack or something. What would you recommend setting the ambient light level adjustment setting to for someone in a well-lit room like me?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I work in a very lit environment (660 lux)

A bit on the high side, but the light level should be fine as long as you use a suitable screen peak luminance (probably around 150-200 cd/m2) to go with it and minimize reflections/glare.

What would you recommend setting the ambient light level adjustment

My recommendation is to not use that setting at all.

Aelius
    Participant

I work in a very lit environment (660 lux)

A bit on the high side, but the light level should be fine as long as you use a suitable screen peak luminance (probably around 150-200 cd/m2) to go with it and minimize reflections/glare.

What would you recommend setting the ambient light level adjustment

My recommendation is to not use that setting at all.

Ah… In that case, I assume I shouldn’t be using the “measure ambient” functionality on the whitepoint and white level either? Just “As measured”?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS