How can I get accurate displays with HCFR and DisplayCal?

Home Forums Help and Support How can I get accurate displays with HCFR and DisplayCal?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

TeckFire
    Participant

I’m having a bit of a problem right now. I’m attempting to color correct my displays using HCFR as a base, (no LUT, just pure display settings) and then calibrate my displays to the same standard using DisplayCal. I have selected Absolute Colormetric, as I want things to be as accurate as possible when doing this with no white balance discrepancies as much as possible.

However, after calibrating my displays to be roughly as close as possible using HCFR first, (which looks fairly similar to my eye when all my displays are using the same ICC profile) I then go through DisplayCal, (which all monitors are set to the same settings) and the results vary wildly. One monitor is reddish, one is greenish, and the other is orangish. Now, each monitor is a different model, with different color gamuts and different responses, but I should think that after calibrating each display on a hardware level to be as close as possible, the software should clean things up the rest of the way, correct?

I thought of the possibility that by calibrating white balance at 80 in HCFR (whereas DisplayCal uses 100% IRE to calibrate white balance) that DisplayCal might be balancing to 100, not to the whole curve, but if I calibrate the hardware RGB settings to match 100%, I get poor accuracy on the rest of the curve. Each display has a solid accuracy between 30-80 IRE, but goes way up or down above or below that for the RGB values. Should I be calibrating to 100% anyway and just letting DisplayCal do its thing? Or does it sound like my settings are incorrect?

I’m trying to calibrate to BT. 1886 Gamma with Rec. 709 gamut at 100 Nits for all screens. Now, the native gamma of my displays doesn’t line up well with BT. 1886, and I’m wondering if THAT is the problem, too. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

Monitor hardware settings consist solely of RGB gain, Brightness, and Contrast on all three displays.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Colors may not match between different monitors.

Are you using monitors with 1,2 point gamma, or TVs with 11,21 point gamma ??

TeckFire
    Participant

I actually fixed this. They’re now basically all identical within their gamuts, for the most part. I just calibrated to 100% white instead of 80% white. While this technically isn’t as accurate for non profiled inputs, it’s just the way DisplayCal uses its profiling methods.

After doing RGB gain to match 100% IRE, the calibrations all match, even with HCFR. It seems that DisplayCal balances all the measurements to whatever the 100% white balance is, so if your target is 6500K, then you have to match that at 100%, even if it screws up the whole rest of the scale at first. Then, DisplayCal will fix the rest by itself.

For anyone else reading this, take this into account when doing HTPC calibrations, as it’s usually assumed that 30-80% accuracy is more important than at the high or especially low end. In this case, ignore that, and let the color profile fix it for you.

Cheers!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS