Help calibrating settings for Pixio PX275h monitor

Home Forums Help and Support Help calibrating settings for Pixio PX275h monitor

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

HB123
    Participant

Hello, I am using DisplayCal for the first time and I am unsure what settings to set for my monitor:

Pixio PX275, 1440p95hz, 8bit+FRC, 100% sRGB, 95% DCI-P3z

i want to be able to play games in SDR and HDR, and also watch TV shows and movies (Netflix, Disney+) in SDR and HDR.

The monitor has no option to limit gamut to sRGB color space. Also I am not in a light controlled environment but it is fairly bright. I am using an X-Rite- i1Display pro.

For settings, I am unsure what tone curves to use. There is Gamma 2.2, sRGB, and rec709. I am currently planning on making these calibration profiles:

1. sRGB tone curve for web browsing and video games

2. rec709 for watch SDR movies

3. i also want to make a rec2020 or dcip3 profile for HDR content but I don’t see any option for that in the tone curve settings, nor do I see any option for PQ gamma for HDR.

My questions are:

1. Does the sRGB and the rec709 tone curve limit my gamut to that color space? If not, is there any way to do so?

2. Should I be using gamma 2.2 or rec709/sRGB?

3. For gamma options, do I use relative gamma or absolute gamma?

3. How do I do calibrations for the dci-p3 color space (for HDR content?)

I am a complete noob with calibration and this is my first time, any help would be appreciated

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

HB123
    Participant

Also I am using the W-led correction for my monitor. I also would like to know if I should ever change observer settings?

Vincent
    Participant

Also I am using the W-led correction for my monitor. I also would like to know if I should ever change observer settings?

A 100% sRGB, 95% P3 display is not using a “common White LED” (blue led + yellow phosphor) backlight. That backlight is for typical LED sRGB displays or TVs.

A common backlight for displays like yours is WLED PFS phosphor in its “lesser” variant ( correction bundled in DisplayCAL as Panasonic VVX17P051J00.ccss), but it could use a more exotic one like those present in some nano ips LG panels (YAG phosphor or whatever variant they bundle)

I would leave default CIE 1931 2 degree

Regading your other questions:

-it’s VERY very likely that you do ot want sRGB TRC for games in a typical 1000:1 screen. Try default 2.2.
    -For movies you do not want rec709 TRC, it is not what you think it is. Choose the same 2.2 or 2.4.
    -HDR needs a mapping from Rec2020 PQ encodend data in video source to whatever your display supports, cutting or deforming  when your display can get there. The natural way to do this is a LUT3D. Unless there is a vendor app fro that display to use it you’ll need a computer app like madVR for HDR->SDR.
    If your display accepts HDR data as input, it should have inside something like I’ve explained stored at factory. Unless there is a vendor app to upload such LUT3D to display any 1D LUT modification to GPU is very likely to behave worse: you may fix grey gradient to PQ up to display capabilities but any tone mapping is likely to go off.
    Look for madVR and its documentartion to make HDR to SDR LUT3Ds.

HB123
    Participant

Hello Vincent, thank you for your response. I hadn’t been getting results as good as I should have and I believe now that the wled correction is what was causing that. I will try the Panasonic correction.

it’s VERY very likely that you do ot want sRGB TRC for games in a typical 1000:1 screen. Try default 2.2.

I’m confused about this because you say I want the sRGB tone curve and to use gamma 2.2 but under the calibration in tone curve drop down menu, I can either pick sRGB or gamma 2.2, not both. Which do I use?

Also, how do I limit my gamut to sRGB? My OSD has no setting, and the DCIP3 colors make my oranges and greens saturated in SDR content so I need to find a way to limit to only sRGB.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

@vincent, what do you think about a general beginners guide ? It would seem most people come here to ask the same questions. I understand florian has already made the default settings tailored to that end, but without explanation, people still have the same questions.

Vincent
    Participant

I’m confused about this because you say I want the sRGB tone curve and to use gamma 2.2 but under the calibration in tone curve drop down menu, I can either pick sRGB or gamma 2.2, not both. Which do I use?

Do not use sRGB TRC for games. Greys are likely going to lift up very soon from black on a gradient on a typical display. But try it then do what you like most.

Also, how do I limit my gamut to sRGB? My OSD has no setting, and the DCIP3 colors make my oranges and greens saturated in SDR content so I need to find a way to limit to only sRGB.

If monitor has no OSD controsl for limiting gamut, or it has no HW calibration with gamut emulation, or a OSD preset with an sRGB limitation from factory… you can’t.

If you own an AMD card you can try sRGB emulation from EDID. It’s on AMD controls, google it.

@vincent, what do you think about a general beginners guide ? It would seem most people come here to ask the same questions. I understand florian has already made the default settings tailored to that end, but without explanation, people still have the same questions.

It’s very likely that people will ask even there is a guide…

For most people an i1d3 colorimeter, medium speed, g2.2, D65, White LED correction (common display) and 1curve + matrix with BPC active will do the job.
    That’s a guide!

HB123
    Participant

Thank you so much, I tried the settings you suggested and my calibration looks better now. I have a few questions though:

1. What is the difference between XYZ LUT + matrix and single curve + matrix?

2. After doing the initial calibration, when I make a 3DLUT, do I make a 3DLUT ICC based off my initials calibration and use that as my default display color profile?

Vincent
    Participant

1- accurate description of actual display response after GPU grey calibration is applied
    vs
    idealized

2nd one solves some rounding errors in color managed apps, or in  broken color management engines like Apple’s
    1st one is what you want to make a LUT3D.

2-it is in displaycal doc. lut3d is just for a specific software like madvr or resolve.
    If you embed 1D grey calibration(VCGT) into LUT3D, profile calibration should not be loaded in GPU becaus it would be applied twice, apps may know that and may ask you to disable video card grey calibration (example madVR).
    If you do not embed vcgt into LUT3D, then it needs to be applied in GPU if you wish an accurate LUT3D made from a profile with non linear VCGT (with an actual GPU grey calibration in it)

HB123
    Participant

So I will use the Single curve gamma + matrix profile for my display ICC, and use the XYZ + LUT to make 3D LUTs.

So from what I understand I CANNOT do 3D corrects from an ICC. If I click the “3DLUT File Format” option and choose “device link profile (ICC/ICM),” and also have “Apply calibration VCGT” checked, will this make an ICC that applies the 1D but not 3D corrections?

I have to do 3D corrections through the 3DLUT files in each specific program using a 3DLUT file that does not have embedded vgct so it doesn’t conflict with my 1D corrections ICC that I installed in my initial calibration.

HB123
    Participant

Also, when I do the WLED PFS phosphor Panasonic correction, I can’t not get my RGB gain values to match no matter what. My green value is always either too high or too low. Do I just calibrate with it as close as possible? The smallest difference I get is DE 2.8 in the RGB gain matching part of the calibration.

Vincent
    Participant

So I will use the Single curve gamma + matrix profile for my display ICC, and use the XYZ + LUT to make 3D LUTs.

So from what I understand I CANNOT do 3D corrects from an ICC. If I click the “3DLUT File Format” option and choose “device link profile (ICC/ICM),” and also have “Apply calibration VCGT” checked, will this make an ICC that applies the 1D but not 3D corrections?

I have to do 3D corrections through the 3DLUT files in each specific program using a 3DLUT file that does not have embedded vgct so it doesn’t conflict with my 1D corrections ICC that I installed in my initial calibration.

It’s the opposite. LUT3D data is computed from a display description and whatever colorspavce you try to emulate.
    2 ICC inputs => 1 LUT3D as the particular transformation from one to another

If ICC has a VCGT, display response stored in it was measured AFTER calibration was loaded into GPU. Hence a LUT3D computed from it would need:
    -to take account of that 1D correction when computing its data (embed VCGT etc etc option un LUT3D maker)
    OR (exclusive)
    -to have that 1D correction loaded in GPU

Since madVR can clear GPU 1DLUT, it is usually embeded in LUT3D (=LUT3D includes also grey correction, so GPU CANNOT have it loaded at the same time… madVR does that, it clkeans it, then DIsplayCAL tray reloads 1DLUT cal when madVR is closed).
    In other apps may not apply the same (=if you wish to keep 1D grey cal system wide for all apps, a LUT3D for that particular app cannot have VCGT data embeded)

Also, when I do the WLED PFS phosphor Panasonic correction, I can’t not get my RGB gain values to match no matter what. My green value is always either too high or too low. Do I just calibrate with it as close as possible? The smallest difference I get is DE 2.8 in the RGB gain matching part of the calibration.

If you cannot do something, it will be done at GPU unless you state to use native white.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Vincent.

HB123
    Participant

Alright thank you, I think I finally have everything understood now.

i made a 6500k relative gamma 2.2 single curve + matrix for my default ICC.

Because my Nvidia gpu already allows ICC to work in most games, I made a rec709 relative gamma 2.2 no VCGT 3DLUT off of a 6500k relative 2.2 gamma XYZ LUT+Matrix which I will install with reshade in each game. I use a test ICC with incorrect white point to test if ICC is applied in each game or not.

i then made a rec709 relative gamma 2.4 with VCGT 3DLUT off of the same 6500k relative 2.2 gamma XYZ LUT+Matrix for madVR.

I think I’m finally done, is there anything wrong that you see with what I did? Also how do I watch videos from streaming services  in madVR? I can’t find a guide online for how to do it.

Vincent
    Participant

I think I’m finally done, is there anything wrong that you see with what I did? Also how do I watch videos from streaming services  in madVR? I can’t find a guide online for how to do it.

Find a player that support both madVR and the streaming service of your choice.

If there is none… then you can’t. In that case you can try an sRGB OSD mode in your monitor. Since you have an nvidia you can try the EDID to sRGB trick, or if possible IDNK how.

Other setups you list seem ok

HB123
    Participant

Thanks again!

Also I have just one last question because of something conflicting I saw in the wiki.

in the Wiki it says that when making the LUT for madVR, to set the setting to “3D LUT for madVR (D65, Rec.709/1886) .” I made it by putting the setting to the XYZ LUT+Matrix that I had made previously.  Which one am I supposed to have my setting set to?

if I am supposed to follow the wiki, then setting my setting to “3D LUT for madVR (D65, Rec.709/1886)” changes my calibration tab settings all to “As measured.” Do I need to change those to the normal 6500k and gamma 2.2 (or 2.4 which is what I set the 3DLUT to)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS