Have I Calibrated Correctly? + Questions (MSI MAG274QRF-QD)

Home Forums Help and Support Have I Calibrated Correctly? + Questions (MSI MAG274QRF-QD)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

gohan2091
    Participant

My MSI MAG274QRF-QD 27″ IPS monitor has just arrived and I have an X‑Rite i1 Display Pro calibration device which I bought a few years back. Usually I use the X-Rite software but I keep reading about people using DisplayCAL so I’ve installed this instead. I’m not exactly sure if I have calibrated correctly. I’ve left the monitor settings on default, turned off the lights, closed the curtains and selected “LCD White LED family (AC, LG, Samsung)” in the correction option of DisplayCAL in accordance to this link. The tone curve is set to Gamma 2.2. Is this correct? Then when I click the calbrate button, DisplayCAL asked me to adjust the RGB and brightness levels which I did with the montiors OSD. After 5 minutes or so the calibration process had completed so I loaded the profile and set it as my default. A few questions:

1) DisplayCAL is running in the background and present in the taskbar. Do I need this software running constantly? As I believe Windows is running this colour profile as default (it shows the profile as default)

2) The monitor has HDR support. It’s not very good but it apparently offers a slight improvement compared to SDR. I have HDCR setting in the monitors OSD. When enabling this, the brightness and RGB sliders are disabled on the monitors OSD. I also have an HDR setting within Windows display settings. Again, enabling this disables the RGB and brightness sliders. These two settings are independant of each other. So is it correct that I can’t calibrate my monitor in DisplayCAL with HDR enabled? Since DisplayCAL will ask me to adjust the RGB sliders which I cannot do as the sliders would be disabled.

3) Are there any settings on the monitor, within Windows or Radeon software that I should definitely have enabled or disabled? The response time is set to fast. I do Photoshop editing and photography (as a hobby) so it’s important that my monitor is reasonably correct. Apparently the monitor doesn’t have an sRGB mode. I shoot photography on my DSLR and save in camera as Adobe 1998 RAW files. I don’t really have a great understanding of the different modes but I understand Adobe 1998 can display a wider array of colours. So is there anything I need to set?

4) I am going to calibrate my uncles monitor with my i1Display calibration device when I next seen him. He has a Dell S2721DGFA monitor. What correction option should I be selecting inside DisplayCAL?

I think calibration has improved but the colours still look slightly oversaturated but according to DisplayCAL when I run the brief measurement test, the RGB readings are correct. The black levels look good on this website. Each black square is distinguishable.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant
    1. Displaycal calibration loader is better.
    2. As a general rule you can’t modify HDR settings. It’s monitor’s fault/lack of features.
    3. You cannot use the monitor with Photoshop in any other mode than the one you used to create teh display profile. Just use it that way.
    4. most of these newer P3 monitors use WLED PFS phosphor backlight, so use the one labeled ad Panasonic VVX… 95% p3, or try to find one in colorimeter corrections database.

gohan2091
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. I now notice my links in the original post don’t work. I have visited the Colorimeter Corrections database here which both entries say to use “LCD White LED family (AC, LG, Samsung)”. You said to check the database but you say also that I should probably be using the WLED PFS Phosphor backlight. So I am confused as to what one is correct as the information is conflicting. I do know my monitor is an IPS quantum dot with a wide gamut.

Vincent
    Participant

WLED PFS => S2721DGF, choose CCSS bundled with DisplayCAL (Panaosnic VVX 95%P3) or choose some CCSS from coloriemter correction database.

In your link for your current MSI there are no portable corrections (CCSS) so if its a sRGB-only LED display use the one you said (White LED Family). If it is a P3 gamer display use the same as Dell S.

gohan2091
    Participant

WLED PFS => S2721DGF, choose CCSS bundled with DisplayCAL (Panaosnic VVX 95%P3) or choose some CCSS from coloriemter correction database.
    In your link for your current MSI there are no portable corrections (CCSS) so if its a sRGB-only LED display use the one you said (White LED Family). If it is a P3 gamer display use the same as Dell S.

I don’t mean to sound rude but I don’t really understand exactly what you’re saying. Sorry but I am not really experienced with things like this. Let me see if I have understood..

For my uncles monitor (the S2721DGF) I must select Panaosnic VVX 95%P3? but I don’t see it as an option in DisplayCAL. (See attachment picture)

For my MSI monitor, The dataabase I linked to contains CCSS files for different monitors? I don’t understand what a CCSS file is, and when I Googled, I am still confused. I only referenced the database because it had the words “LCD White LED family (AC, LG, Samsung)” under my monitor model so I thought “oh, that must be the correction I select in DisplayCAL.” apparently not. I don’t know if my monitor is an sRGB only display (apparently my monitor doesn’t have an sRGB mode…it uses AdobeRGB). P3 gamer? what does this mean? Sorry for all the questions but I am not really understanding any of this.

Here is a review of my monitor, I would appreciate if you could take a quick look at the specs.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by gohan2091.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

I don’t mean to sound rude but I don’t really understand exactly what you’re saying. Sorry but I am not really experienced with things like this. Let me see if I have understood..

For my uncles monitor (the S2721DGF) I must select Panaosnic VVX 95%P3? but I don’t see it as an option in DisplayCAL. (See attachment picture)

It’s selected.

For my MSI monitor, The dataabase I linked to contains CCSS files for different monitors? I don’t understand what a CCSS file is, and when I Googled, I am still confused.

Spectral power distribution (SPD) of a display or backlight type. Energy emited by wavelength, per channel. i1d3 colorimeter needs that infor to correct itselft since it is not a perfect device which matches exactly CIE 1931 2degree human vision model. With taht info it becames accurate for THAT backlight type.

It’s all over this forum ,all the time.

I only referenced the database because it had the words “LCD White LED family (AC, LG, Samsung)” under my monitor model so I thought “oh, that must be the correction I select in DisplayCAL.” apparently not. I don’t know if my monitor is an sRGB only display (apparently my monitor doesn’t have an sRGB mode…it uses AdobeRGB). P3 gamer? what does this mean? Sorry for all the questions but I am not really understanding any of this.

Here is a review of my monitor, I would appreciate if you could take a quick look at the specs.

Looks the same gamer p3 monitor as the Dell, hence same backlight (WLED PFS)… but it is a guess. You’ll need to find a review which measures SPD of that MSI or find (if available) a CCSS for that display submited to community.

gohan2091
    Participant

Oops, sorry for missing the Panasonic VVX 95%P3… yeah I had it selected lol.

OK so basically you think the Panasonic VVX 95%P3 is the correct correction for both the MSI and Dell monitors? You say find an CCSS in the community, I mean where do I go for that? is that database link I gave you not the same thing? As it’s mentioned to use White LED Family. Well anyway I will try the Panaosonic and see how it looks. I can’t help but feel this is guess work. I don’t really know what I am doing, that’s why I posted this thread so someone more knowledgeable can say “ok you need to select this and that”.

Vincent
    Participant

For dell yes. See the Spectral distribution plot. For MSI I’m guessing becaue its advertised gamut.

https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/

gohan2091
    Participant

With my MSI monitor, I have calibrated with the Panasonic VVX95 P3 correction and it looks ok I guess. I don’t know if it’s right though and I was hoping I would get a definite answer. Is there a way I can compare it to something? I’m not sure what you mean by the “Spectral Distrubution Plot”. The link you gave me I already quoted in my original post but I don’t really understand it to be honest. The two profiles for my MSI monitor do not say use the Panasonic VVX95 P3 but to use what I had originally selected “LCD White LED family (AC, LG, Samsung)”.

Vincent
    Participant

With my MSI monitor, I have calibrated with the Panasonic VVX95 P3 correction and it looks ok I guess. I don’t know if it’s right though and I was hoping I would get a definite answer. Is there a way I can compare it to something?

Buy or rent an spectrophotometer. Measure spectral power distribution at 3nm (Xrite devices). Check if it is close to generic 1nm.

I’m not sure what you mean by the “Spectral Distrubution Plot”. The link you gave me I already quoted in my original post but I don’t really understand it to be honest.

Power emited per wavelength, a 2D plot. That’s the main difference between screens regarding colorimeters,

gohan2091
    Participant

With my MSI monitor, I have calibrated with the Panasonic VVX95 P3 correction and it looks ok I guess. I don’t know if it’s right though and I was hoping I would get a definite answer. Is there a way I can compare it to something?

Buy or rent an spectrophotometer. Measure spectral power distribution at 3nm (Xrite devices). Check if it is close to generic 1nm.

I’m not sure what you mean by the “Spectral Distrubution Plot”. The link you gave me I already quoted in my original post but I don’t really understand it to be honest.

Power emited per wavelength, a 2D plot. That’s the main difference between screens regarding colorimeters,

I already have an X‑Rite i1 Display Pro. I just want things to be the best they can and correct. I don’t want to be buying other devices. I just want my display in a reasonably accurate condition. As I said, I am using the Panasonic VVX95 P3 correction setting when I calibrate. I don’t know if this is correct for my monitor and I can’t see to find anywhere that says it is or is not. This is the best I can do because I am simply guessing here that this is correct.

Vincent
    Participant

I already have an X‑Rite i1 Display Pro. I just want things to be the best they can and correct. I don’t want to be buying other devices. I just want my display in a reasonably accurate condition. As I said, I am using the Panasonic VVX95 P3 correction setting when I calibrate. I don’t know if this is correct for my monitor and I can’t see to find anywhere that says it is or is not. This is the best I can do because I am simply guessing here that this is correct.

(bold italic)

As explained previously the only way is to have that display measured with an spectrophotometer and get spectral power distribution (3nm or better). It can be done by you (buy, rent, borrow) or by other people (CCSS 3nm community database).
    Otherwise it’s an educated guess based on current trends for P3 gaming monitors.

gohan2091
    Participant

(bold italic)
    As explained previously the only way is to have that display measured with an spectrophotometer and get spectral power distribution (3nm or better). It can be done by you (buy, rent, borrow) or by other people (CCSS 3nm community database).<br>
    Otherwise it’s an educated guess based on current trends for P3 gaming monitors.

The CCSS 3nm community database is the link I quoted in my original post? this? https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net . If so, I don’t understand how to use it. Can you help?

Vincent
    Participant

(bold italic)
    As explained previously the only way is to have that display measured with an spectrophotometer and get spectral power distribution (3nm or better). It can be done by you (buy, rent, borrow) or by other people (CCSS 3nm community database).<br>

The CCSS 3nm community database is the link I quoted in my original post? this? https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net . If so, I don’t understand how to use it. Can you help?

Yes, that link. Just check for MAG274QRF and there is no CCSS so un less you measure your display with an spectrophotometer … is guessing.

death0serpent
    Participant

Hi there Vincent!

Just thought to ask, I know that the panel for the MAG274QRF-QD is made by AU Optronics. This falls in line with two options from the “Correction” dropdown:

LCD GB-r-LED/RG Phosphor LED family (AUO B156HW01 V.4, Dell U2413)
    LCD RG Phosphor LED family (AUO B156HW01 V.4 in Lenovo W520/W530)

My intuition tells me the first one would work well for my MSI monitor since you did mention P3s are phosphor based? What do you think, would love your input!

Cheers and thanks for your time!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS