Green cast on greys

Home Forums Help and Support Green cast on greys

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Sander
    Participant

Hi there,

As I’ve recently gotten myself a different monitor setup, I decided to calibrate both of my monitors. They are two identical LG IPS monitors, of which  I don’t know their exact types. These monitors are both plugged into my laptop; one directly into the HDMI port and another one is using DisplayPort through USB-C through a docking station.

After calibrating both monitors I noticed that the one connected to the docking station has a strong green colour cast in the mid/dark greys when opening a color managed application like Photoshop. When removing the calibration, the colour cast is gone. It’s no slight difference, the cast is really obvious and not present on both the other monitor and my laptop’s internal display after calibration.

I’ve attached the archive file of the calibration, in case that’ll be of any help.

Regards,
    Sander

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by Sander.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Sander
    Participant

I made two photos with my phone, WB set to 5600K, as a comparison. They can be seen here:

https://imgur.com/a/fZnnXk2

The photos are out of focus to get rid of the moiré effect.

I’ve also deleted the calibration and started all over, but after calibrating to the Video preset with 2.2 gamma the cast is back again.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Sander.

Vincent
    Participant

Possible sources of that issue:

-calibration data is wrong, maybe because corerctionapplied on that region was interpolated instead of being made from actual measurements. => Try to choose slower calibration speed in calibration tab

-innacurate device or innacurate correction: measurement data is wrong, but application trust those numbers so computed calibration is wrong because of wrong input data. => better device or try to find a colorimeter correction that suits better that backlight.

-rounding errors caused by color managenent. In that case your issue should be not visible if you inspect that grey on MS Paint (no color management). A possible way to minimize it is to choose a single curve or gamma + matrix profile type.

Sander
    Participant

Thanks for your reply.

My calibration speed was set to medium, just like with the other monitor. As they are of the same type, their characteristics are very close when not calibrated, so the speed should be affecting both of them.

Also, I don’t think it’s the instrument (Spyder 5), as other displays I have are calibrated just fine, or the colorimeter correction, because I used the exact same settings as on my other monitor (LCD White LED Backlight).

The green tint disappears when dragging photoshop to a different monitor and the color management updates for said monitor.

When using non color-managed applications, such as mspaint, the green tint isn’t there. It appears that changes due to color management also get captured in a screenshot, so I could screenshot the gradient from photoshop and paste it into mspaint to compare them. As you can see from the image below, the left one is the color managed one with a way greener tint than the right one.

The left side has the color-managed, green-tinted gradient. The right side is the original gradient

The thing that puzzles me the most is that this happens on only one of two monitors of the same type with nearly identical looking images when non-calibrated.

Would a single curve+matrix really fix this problem if it occurs on only one monitor?

Joel
    Participant

These monitors are both plugged into my laptop; one directly into the HDMI port and another one is using DisplayPort through USB-C through a docking station.

It’s only mine. But I guess it’s due to the different signal path. Reverse the monitors first to decriminalised those. Then you will have the source, the connections to check.

Otherwise, I don’t see

Good luck!

Sander
    Participant

Hi Joel,

I gave the calibration another try with the monitor plugged directly into my laptop; same result.

Vincent
    Participant

Thanks for your reply.

My calibration speed was set to medium, just like with the other monitor. As they are of the same type, their characteristics are very close when not calibrated, so the speed should be affecting both of them.

Also, I don’t think it’s the instrument (Spyder 5), as other displays I have are calibrated just fine, or the colorimeter correction, because I used the exact same settings as on my other monitor (LCD White LED Backlight).

It is not regarded as an accurate device even using vendor supplied corrections.

When using non color-managed applications, such as mspaint, the green tint isn’t there. It appears that changes due to color management also get captured in a screenshot, so I could screenshot the gradient from photoshop and paste it into mspaint to compare them. As you can see from the image below, the left one is the color managed one with a way greener tint than the right one.

The left side has the color-managed, green-tinted gradient. The right side is the original gradient

The thing that puzzles me the most is that this happens on only one of two monitors of the same type with nearly identical looking images when non-calibrated.

Would a single curve+matrix really fix this problem if it occurs on only one monitor?

If when calibration is loaded to GPU and you use MS paint it does not happen, but with the same calibration applied on a color managed app shows tint… it’s very likely to be a TRC issue. Photoshops tries to correct what profile says. Take a look on TRC curve in profile info, that would show 3 curves not going together.
    Single curve or gamma stores as TRC a true neutral curve even if it is not.

If your current profile shows near neutral TRC and MS paint with taht calibration loaded shows no tint… then there should be another issue on your computer or Adobe misconfiguration.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

For the Spyder5, polarity could play a role. Try rotating the device 90° (need to find a way to keep it on screen then without pressure as the cord will obviously no longer work to dangle the device).

Sander
    Participant

Didn’t really want to bump a thread of over a month old, but just in case someone has the exact same issue: I bought an i1Display Pro and all problems are gone. I’m also amazed at the measurement speed of the i1.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS