Gamma/Contrast Shift issues (Resolve calibration)

Home Forums Help and Support Gamma/Contrast Shift issues (Resolve calibration)

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

imarziali
    Participant

I’m comparing to a Dell UP2516D, and the same monitor calibrated to the same specifications via spectraview through the OS.

The most telling comparison is the last one. Calibrating through spectraview yields a different result than calibrating through DisplayCAL and Resolve.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by imarziali.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Which application are you using as viewer outside Resolve? Note that Windows itself (like most applications) doesn’t do color management.

imarziali
    Participant

Could you clarify what a viewer is?

imarziali
    Participant

The NEC monitor stores the calibration internally.  I calibrated through the OS, then plugged it back into the Blackmagic Mini Monitor 4k and checked it in Resolve.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Could you clarify what a viewer is?

Any application that lets you view imagery or footage.

The NEC monitor stores the calibration internally. I calibrated through the OS, then plugged it back into the Blackmagic Mini Monitor 4k and checked it in Resolve.

I’m not sure if this is going to work correctly. When connected directly to the graphics card, the monitor is likely driven with data (full RGB) levels. You should run a verification (through Resolve) to check the calibration.

imarziali
    Participant

At the moment, I’m confused as to why I’d be purposefully truncating values in the RGB range, when my source footage is full 0-255 material. Would I not want to view the footage with full levels?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

This article covers the topic quite well in my opinion: Data Levels or Video Levels–How To Choose Wisely

I’d still run a verification (of both LUT via Resolve and LUT via monitor HW) to check what is going on with the calibration.

imarziali
    Participant

Hi again, sorry for the late response, I was away from my system for a while.

I was running some more calibrations/tests. I did a test through Spectraview, and it returned delta-e values of 3-6 after calibration. I contacted NEC, and they’ve arranged for a replacement monitor (I ran a test of the puck through Spectraview and it apparently had no issues).

I’ll get back to you again once I receive a replacement monitor.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

I’ll get back to you again once I receive a replacement monitor.

As a Resolve user and new to DisplayCal, I would appreciate seeing the final result of this thread.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

I’ll get back to you again once I receive a replacement monitor

As a Resolve user and new to DisplayCal, I would appreciate seeing the final result of this thread.

My apologies for double posting and misquoting the original poster name. I couldn’t re-edit my first post.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

It seems to be that DaVinci Resolve 15 has finally fixed the monitoring contrast, saturation, and hue shift issue, in addition to exporting the right color range flagged in the exported QT files. A longtime QuickTime issue with many unsuccessful workarounds.

imarziali
    Participant

It seems to be that DaVinci Resolve 15 has finally fixed the monitoring contrast, saturation, and hue shift issue, in addition to exporting the right color range flagged in the exported QT files. A longtime QuickTime issue with many unsuccessful workarounds.

Interesting. I’ve gotten the results closer to what should be expected, but still not normal, especially regarding saturation. I’m in the middle of a project at the moment, but once I wrap it up I will update resolve and try it out.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS