Gamma/Contrast Shift issues (Resolve calibration)

Home Forums Help and Support Gamma/Contrast Shift issues (Resolve calibration)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

imarziali
    Participant

I’m having some major issues calibrating my NEC PA242w through Resolve (with an NEC branded i1Display Pro). I’m calibrating it from the full native monitor color space to a rec709 emulation.

Using this method, I’m having major contrast issues. Contrast is much lower than it should be, and this is obvious when comparing video color graded on this monitor to multiple other (non-corrected, but fairly standard rec709/sRGB gamma 2.2) displays; the image comes out much more contrast-y on other displays. There also appear to be some major shifts in saturation.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Any way to fix this?

Important things to note:

• gamma is set to 2.2 on the monitor, and I’ve set DisplayCAL to 2.2
    • the monitor is connected to a separate display card (Blackmagic mini monitor 4k) which is not color managed by the OS
    • monitor is set to full range values (0-255)
    • no display LUT is chosen in Resolve’s project settings
    • This topic was modified 6 years ago by imarziali.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

When white level is adjusted via the calibration (and not monitor controls) to a value that is lower than the monitor is currently producing without calibration, a side effect is that contrast goes down. The same can happen when monitor white is far from target white. Both of this is expected. For that reason, you want to set white level and point using only monitor controls if you want to maximize the available contrast ratio.

imarziali
    Participant

When white level is adjusted via the calibration (and not monitor controls) to a value that is lower than the monitor is currently producing without calibration, a side effect is that contrast goes down. The same can happen when monitor white is far from target white. Both of this is expected. For that reason, you want to set white level and point using only monitor controls if you want to maximize the available contrast ratio.

White level was adjusted through monitor controls.

Here’s a few screenshots of the Davinci Resolve scopes, with the original footage first, then the footage with the calibration LUT applied, to show the major change in contrast.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by imarziali.

imarziali
    Participant

Forgot to link the screenshots.

https://imgur.com/a/oV801

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Make sure that you set the scopes to explicitly use no LUT.

imarziali
    Participant

Make sure that you set the scopes to explicitly use no LUT.

I did, that wasn’t the issue, I was just applying the LUT to the scopes to demonstrate the major contrast shift.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Alright. In that case, it seems your output or input levels in Resolve or the display itself are incorrect – there’s an (additional) conversion of 0..255 to 16..235 somewhere that’s not coming from the LUT.

imarziali
    Participant

Everything in the pipeline is 0-255, I’ve double and triple checked this. The monitor is set to full levels, DisplayCAL is set to 0-255, Resolve is set to 0-255. I’m pulling out my hair at the moment.

imarziali
    Participant

Actually… Would these settings be screwing things up? I wouldn’t imagine so, as they only generate a LUT, but doesn’t hurt to double check.

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Possibly, but it doesn’t look like you’re using a ‘soft clip’ LUT? What do your other Resolve LUT settings look like?

imarziali
    Participant

Not home currently, but I recall this. All of the LUT settings are “No LUT selected” except for the 3D Video Monitor Lookup Table, which is set to the DisplayCAL generated LUT.

3D Lookup Table Interpolation is set to Trilinear.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Everything in the pipeline is 0-255, I’ve double and triple checked this. The monitor is set to full levels, DisplayCAL is set to 0-255, Resolve is set to 0-255.

I think 0-255 is the wrong setting in Resolve. What’s your video monitoring (Under project settings -> Master project settings) and clip attributes levels set at? It should usually be video levels and auto.

imarziali
    Participant

Changing data levels to “video” did definitely help, but contrast and saturation are still a decent amount off from what it seems.

Attached are the Resolve scopes with and without the LUT. It leaves the blacks in roughly the same place, which is good. It does pull down the highlights, and pulls the shadows up, which reduces contrast a fair bit.

On second inspection, I’ve noticed that my Data Levels under Deck Settings (in Project Settings/Capture and Playback) is set to full. Should this be set to video as well, or would it be irrelevant if the original video monitoring settings are set to video?

Attachments:

imarziali
    Participant

Update: I changed the Deck Settings Data Level to Video, which had no impact upon a new calibration. Even with everything set to video, I’m still getting washed out and desaturated images.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

A long as the black level isn’t lifted (or clipped), everything should to be in order with respect to video vs data levels.

What are you comparing to? BT.1886 on a typical LCD display is definitely more open in the midtones and shadows than, say, pure power gamma 2.4.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS