Fix for green/pink backgrounds in Finder and other menus on Mac

Home Forums Help and Support Fix for green/pink backgrounds in Finder and other menus on Mac

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

sudoroot SourceForge

I used an old Huey to calibrate new monitors with dispcalGUI, then later upgraded my OS to El Capitan. Immediately the left side of the Finder, Console, and other apps had a green tint. If I switched the color profile to something else, like Adobe RGB, the green tint went away. Editing photos was fine – colors were what I expected, it was only the menus that had trouble.

I found a few other things online that suggested it was related to transparency. Maybe the dispcalGUI or Argyll CMS software needs a patch, but my fix for now is to open Accessibility settings and check “Reduce transparency.” This makes the color tints go away.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I can’t reproduce the problem. Can you attach the profile? Thanks.

quanie
    Participant

I’m having the same issue.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

There’s no profile included in the archive (*.icc), so there’s nothing for me to look at.

Drew
    Participant

Having the same issue. Monitor is a Dell UP2715K. No problem with default profile or profile created with i1Profiler. Very strangely, NOT having the issue with my second monitor, a HP Z27x also calibrated with DisplayCAL.

Attached is problematic ICC. Any thoughts?

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Drew
    Participant

I don’t believe that is the problem. I can also confirm that the profile in question IS already of the “XYZ LUT + matrix” type.

endash
    Participant

I’m attaching my profile. It’s the same problem: translucent parts of the UI are green tinted.

Brand new Macbook Pro, OS X 10.12.3

(btw this forum site is basically broken in Safari on a Mac.)

Attachments:

endash
    Participant

A symptom that might be illuminating: when I drag windows between monitors they tint in different ways, before they get redrawn. So my display in the middle with a green tint will tint heavily pink when I drag it to the display on the right with a pink tint, but my built in Macbook Pro display will tint slighty green on the middle display and slightly pink on the right hand side display.

It’s like all the translucent stuff gets drawn as if it were on the built-in display.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

(btw this forum site is basically broken in Safari on a Mac.)

Thanks for the heads up. Apparently only older versions of Safari were affected (my El Capitan system was fine, but OS X 10.6.8 was not), they couldn’t process the minified style sheets. Should be fixed now (I’ve disabled minification).

It’s like all the translucent stuff gets drawn as if it were on the built-in display.

Probably one of the many OS X bugs related to color 🙁

endash
    Participant

It’s possible it’s just an OSX bug, but I can cycle through all the other profiles and while the colors obviously become greatly distorted there’s no similar issue where just parts of the windowing system have odd colors.

On the *OTHER* hand, I somehow by doing that got my system into a state where one app was completely affected by the tint, even after I switched profiles, and eventually when I switched profiles back to the DisplayCAL one it fixed that window (while leaving the more low-key problem of tinted translucency in place.)

So my guess it’s a mix of OS X color stuff being a mess, and something specific about these profiles that make OS X go crazy in some circumstances.

endash
    Participant

Also, I was wrong about the main display being unaffected. It is affected, but it’s slighter and I didn’t notice it as much because it’s a pinker tint and the background is kinda pink-tinted already, but when I switch the profile back to the default for that display it’s clear there’s a tint there, too.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

This is the gamut from the profile you attached above:

The U2717D normally has a gamut that is only slighly larger than sRGB, and your result is stretched in the vertical direction due to the Spyder4 not being very accurate.

Re-calibrate/re-profile with measurement mode set to “White LED”. In the long run, I would suggest swapping your Spyder4 for a higher quality (more accurate) instrument.

Attachments:

endash
    Participant

Ah that makes sense. I’ll give recalibration a shot and see how that goes. Thanks for the help.

VincentTam
    Participant

I am having the same problem.

When I calibrate my Philips BDM3270(connected to 2016 MacBook Pro  15″ Touchbar via DP cable)

After calibration, the measurement report looks fine but the finder sidebar has very strong green tint to it, I use Chinese input in my Mac the character display on this selector screen look green as well(it supposed to be white)

I tried to profile with curve+matrix without this issue(But for some reasons the measure report read very off, Color Delta as high as 10)

XYZ LUT + Matrix profile looks fine in measurement report(the highest no higher than 0.5 Delta) but it has the finder green cast problem.

I spent the whole afternoon tried different setting to calibrate and profile with Dispcal the result are the same.

Here I attach the profile files. Thanks

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS