Features request

Home Forums General Discussion Features request

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

stama
    Participant

Hello, thank you for this great tool, it makes calibration, profiling and 3D LUT generation so much easier!

I would like to request a few additions to the user interface, in order to support more scenarios:

1. on the Profiling tab, please add a “As listed” option to the “Patch sequence” combo-box when “Show advanced options” is enabled in the Options menu. Drift on an OLED panel can be minimized with great results by using custom patch sequences in which the order of the patches is very important to avoid overheating the panel. Unfortunately, while it is possible to use the patches editor to create a ti3 file with such a sequence (by dropping a csv file over the patches list in the editor), there does not seem to be a way to force having the patches displayed in exactly that order when “Show advances options” is enabled. This is why I would request adding a new “As listed” choice to the “Patch sequence” combo-box.

2. on the 3D LUT tab, please add a “sRGB” choice to the “Source colorspace” como-box, and a “sRGB” choice to the “Tone curve” combo-box. The existing choices seem to cater to those interested in creating 3D LUTs for video workflows. But PC games and applications with DirectX and OpenGL rendering engines can also benefit from color correction 3D LUTs injected using ReShade. PC games are supposed to be displayed on PC monitors, and the standard color-space for content generated and viewed on PCs is sRGB. The sRGB primaries are the same as the REC.709 ones, so using this as source colorspace is an option (right?), but there is no way to emulate the sRGB tone curve with the existing options in the “Tone curve” combo-box. Ideally there would be a sRGB choice and the ability to do CIECAM02 gamut mapping, but I can settle with just the sRGB option. 🙂

3. on the Calibration tab, allow to set a custom white-point when “Interactive display adjustment” is disabled. The whitepoint value is used as a target for a generated 3D LUT from what I understood. Generating a 3D LUT is possible to be done without a display calibration, since the 3D LUT creates a mapping to the desired values (so, “Interactive display adjustement” disabled). Disabling “Interactive display adjustement” however also disables the ability to set a custom desired whitepoint. Since this is the whitepoint used as target for the 3D LUT, it means it’s not currently possible to create a 3D LUT that does a mapping to a different whitepoint without enabling “Interactive display adjustement” which doesn’t make sense.

4. (optional request): on the 3D LUT tab, please add “Adobe RGB”, “scRGB” choices to the “Source colorspace” como-box. Again, these are color spaces for PC generated content. As said above, the options currently available in the 3D LUT “Source colorspace” combo-box are video-world only which are not useful to everybody.

5. (optional request): regarding the built-in patch generator, could it be enhanced by adding the ability to do full field pattern insertions to it when using it in full-screen mode?

6. (optional request): finally, this is still regarding the built-in pattern generator. It seems to only output 8 bit images. In Windows 10, enabling the “HDR and advanced color” option allows Windows to use more than 8 bits per color channel. It seems to default to 12 bits in fact when using RGB (with a 10000 nits as max luminance ceiling). Therefore, it would be very useful to have the pattern generator be able to display patches with 12 bits per color channel RGB. I assume the built-in pattern generator is in fact an ArgyllCMS executable, though? In that case I can make the enhancement request to Graeme on avsforum.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by stama. Reason: forgot to add a few more things

Anonymous
    Inactive

3. on the Calibration tab, allow to set a custom white-point when “Interactive display adjustment” is disabled. The whitepoint value is used as a target for a generated 3D LUT from what I understood. Generating a 3D LUT is possible to be done without a display calibration, since the 3D LUT creates a mapping to the desired values (so, “Interactive display adjustement” disabled). Disabling “Interactive display adjustement” however also disables the ability to set a custom desired whitepoint. Since this is the whitepoint used as target for the 3D LUT, it means it’s not currently possible to create a 3D LUT that does a mapping to a different whitepoint without enabling “Interactive display adjustement” which doesn’t make sense.

Ahh, I was just thinking about that. When running verification, it always says my whitepoint is off. I want the whitepoint to be calibrated to D65 (6504k). I thought even if I don’t mess with the interactive white point, that DisplayCAL would correct it and store in the 3D LUT. But when I run verification with 3D LUT enabled, it says my whitepoint is 6700k or something truely off. I am not sure if I’m doing something wrong, or does DisplayCAL not correct whitepoint when creating 3D LUT?

stama
    Participant

Myron, you have to specify the calibrated white point on the Calibration tab, for the 3D LUT to target that whitepoint, indeed.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Myron, you have to specify the calibrated white point on the Calibration tab, for the 3D LUT to target that whitepoint, indeed.

ok thanks. Got it. But I found something odd. Under the calibration tab, if I select Tone Curve manual to gamma 2.4, and then profile and run verification, the “Measured Whitepoint” is wrong and not corrected. It shows around 6791k, when the display profile whitepoint is 6504k. But when I leave the Tone Curve option “As Measured”, then the whitepoint is more accurate. Why is that?

stama
    Participant

I’m not sure. Maybe the verification settings you use are not ok? I think they should be:
    – Simulation Profile = ON
    – Select simulation profile = the source colorspace you used on the 3D LUT tab
    – Use Simulation Profile as display profile = OFF
    – Tone curve settings: the same you used on the 3D LUT tab

Unfortunately, I find the documentation not not be clear enough on what those choices on the Verification tab mean. You could also try with “Use Simulation Profile as display profile = on” and “Enable 3D LUT = on”.

Something else that might be relevant is that when you select “As Measured” for the Tone Curve setting on the Calibration tab, no intermediate processing to generate separate 1D LUT curves (for neutral grays correction) will be done, so you skip one step that might introduce inaccuracies in the generated 3D LUT.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Use Simulation Profile as display profile = OFF

When verifying a 3D LUT, this always needs to be ON.

Also, when running 1D calibration, it needs to be incorporated into the 3D LUT (apply vcgt) unless the 3D LUT is used in conjunction with the calibration (i.e. GUI viewer 3D LUT, with calibration being applied via the graphics card).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS