Error in the end of 3dlut calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Error in the end of 3dlut calibration

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

S Simeonov
    Participant

WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is ↲
    ↳ being used by another process
    18:32:39,687 Warning – temporary file ‘c:\users\siso\appdata\local\temp\DisplayCAL- ↲
    ↳ mfusjv\madVR 2020-01-13 16-55 S XYZLUT+MTX.ti3’ could not be removed: ↲
    ↳ [Windows Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being ↲
    ↳ used by another process: c:\users\appdata\local\temp\DisplayCAL- ↲
    ↳ mfusjv\madVR 2020-01-13 16-55 S XYZLUT+MTX.ti3

I’m getting this nasty error after almost 2 hours of calibration…

• This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by S Simeonov.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Some other process on your system is accessing files it shouldn’t access and, even worse, holds exclusive access so that the process who actually created the file can no longer access it. This is something you have to fix. Are you using a 3rd party “security” suite by any chance?

S Simeonov
    Participant

Some other process on your system is accessing files it shouldn’t access and, even worse, holds exclusive access so that the process who actually created the file can no longer access it. This is something you have to fix. Are you using a 3rd party “security” suite by any chance?

Antivirus is nod32. Other security software is not being used and it is not in the process tab.

The interesting thing is that with the normal calibration 2.2 gamma preset, I ‘ve never had any problems with it, this error happens rarely with madvr 3dlut calibration only…

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by S Simeonov.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Antivirus is nod32

Likely culprit then (honestly, I despise these so-called “security” solutions. In my opinion, they are snake oil, providing a false sense of security, always seem to be developed “on the cheap”, buggy in the best case, and pose an additional security risk to a system at worst).

S Simeonov
    Participant

Antivirus is nod32

Likely culprit then (honestly, I despise these so-called “security” solutions. In my opinion, they are snake oil, providing a false sense of security, always seem to be developed “on the cheap”, buggy in the best case, and pose an additional security risk to a system at worst).

Is it the antivirus? If it is, I can disable it before the calibration. Would that help?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Very likely.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Very likely.

Than you for the fast replies, Florian. I really like your software I’ve been using it for years, and it is awesome. Tomorrow I will try to calibrate for madvr 3dlut again, this time I will stop the antivirus’s protection for a few hours to see what will happen. If there is the same error, how can I show you log files or something, to diagnose completely this problem? I really hate this error it happens rarely…

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If there is the same error, how can I show you log files or something, to diagnose completely this problem? I really hate this error it happens rarely…

It’s unlikely there is anything I can do on my end. In application development, it is considered at least bad etiquette to open files for exclusive access unless your application has created it (and is thus likely the only consumer), and really has to (e.g. “lockfiles” etc). Yet, that seems regularly what antivirus solutions do willy-nilly. There is no fix other than to fix this in the antivirus solution itself (by the vendor), or using another antivirus (e.g. Windows Defender doesn’t seem to have this problem). Note that DisplayCAL already retries up to 20 times in case a file is not accessible due to being in use by another process, but you cannot just keep upping the retry limit if you want to have a responsive application (in terms of file access, UI is decoupled from this).

S Simeonov
    Participant

If there is the same error, how can I show you log files or something, to diagnose completely this problem? I really hate this error it happens rarely…

It’s unlikely there is anything I can do on my end. In application development, it is considered at least bad etiquette to open files for exclusive access unless your application has created it (and is thus likely the only consumer), and really has to (e.g. “lockfiles” etc). Yet, that seems regularly what antivirus solutions do willy-nilly. There is no fix other than to fix this in the antivirus solution itself (by the vendor), or using another antivirus (e.g. Windows Defender doesn’t seem to have this problem). Note that DisplayCAL already retries up to 20 times in case a file is not accessible due to being in use by another process, but you cannot just keep upping the retry limit if you want to have a responsive application (in terms of file access, UI is decoupled from this).

I understand, I’ll try tomorrow again and post here. Have a good evening.

S Simeonov
    Participant

And today the same error: WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is ↲
    ↳ being used by another process
    14:40:35,898 Warning – temporary file ‘c:\users\siso\appdata\local\temp\DisplayCAL- ↲
    ↳ tphopu\madVR 2020-01-14 12-46 S XYZLUT+MTX.ti3’ could not be removed: ↲
    ↳ [Windows Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being ↲
    ↳ used by another process: c:\users\siso\appdata\local\temp\DisplayCAL- ↲
    ↳ tphopu\madVR 2020-01-14 12-46 S XYZLUT+MTX.ti3

Run displaycal as administrator, stopped the nod32 protection for 4 hours…The monitor is LG 34UC99-W.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Use LockHunter to find out what is locking the file.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Use LockHunter to find out what is locking the file.

When I try to delete the file in question, it says this –

And the process is in the task manager werfault.exe *32, I think this is locking the file needed for the calibration to be completed.

From lockhunter

S Simeonov
    Participant

Sorry about posting the screenshot twice.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It’s not normal for werfault.exe (Windows Problem Reporting) to lock non-executable files, so this is likely a side-effect of something else. You can try to disable the Windows Problem Reporting service, or uninstall NOD32 and re-enable Windows Defender and see if the problem goes away.

S Simeonov
    Participant

It’s not normal for werfault.exe (Windows Problem Reporting) to lock non-executable files, so this is likely a side-effect of something else. You can try to disable the Windows Problem Reporting service, or uninstall NOD32 and re-enable Windows Defender and see if the problem goes away.

Nod32’s protection was paused for 4 hours. I don’t know how to stop completely windows problem reporting…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS