Do I need a Resolve LUT?

Home Forums General Discussion Do I need a Resolve LUT?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Blake T
    Participant
    • When using 100% output offset, it is normal that there is no conceivable difference between “absolute” and “relative” gamma. The 50% target means that if you aim for a certain gamma value, the logic will match the value at 50% input and adjust the other values accordingly. If you set output offset to 0% for testing purposes, you will see the difference between “absolute” and “relative” more clearly (i.e. at relative, even with 0% output offset the effective gamma at 50% input will still be the chosen target gamma, while with absolute it will be lower by a certain amount depending on the display’s black level).

Thanks, Florian. I did that test you suggested and results were very bad. So I can see a difference.

So with my aim of scoring a better balanced gamma curve (on the verification reports) what do you suggest I try? I just want to be sure that when working between 0-1023 on the resolve waveform, that the 2.4 gamma curve = 0 being pure black and 1023 being whitest with all the mid tones scaled and spaced out correctly in between. The problem I am having is that on the gamma diagrams the dots don’t match up very well… or maybe they are good enough? can you have a look? attached is spreadsheet with LUTs I have created, with the stats next to them. If you want me to send the gamma curve diagrams I can do that too?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Attach the full HTML measurement report(s) please.

Blake T
    Participant

here you go. x3 of them are the same settings (your recommended) but profiled on different days. And the rest are the experimental ones. I have included them as some of the gamma curves look more accurate in certain ways but I could be wrong!

Thanks,

Blake

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Looks fine to me. In some of the reports there seems to be fluctuation in the measurements, very likely a Resolve issue, you may have to increase the display update delay (Resolve is really just an awful pattern generator, I wished they would fix it, but alas, it is what it is).

Use the 3D LUT “Resolve 2019-09-29 10-45 120cdm² 0.3127x 0.329y S XYZLUT+MTX.Rec709.B1.0,2.4Gawn65” (best result from 2nd report).

Blake T
    Participant

Thanks Florian.

1. How do I fix the display update delay? There is a box checked by default of the first page of Displaycal that says “override minimum display update delay: 1000ms” so Ive left it checked this whole time. Is this correct? Is this what I should increase and by how much?
    2. I saw in another forum you wrote:

“I think 0-255 is the wrong setting in Resolve. What’s your video monitoring (Under project settings -> Master project settings) and clip attributes levels set at? It should usually be video levels and auto.”

I may have read it out of context of this users problem so just wanted to check if I should have my video monitoring levels in Resolve left as “full”?  my setup has been resolve video monitoring “full” and monitor set to “full”… here is the link to the forum: https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/gamma-contrast-shift-issues-resolve-calibration/

3. Are the scopes in Resolve with “use video monitor selection” a reading of my eizo monitor + LUT applied or is it  a reading of the LUT file by itself? and when grading should I choose “not lut” selected for the scopes? This would make sense. And is there an accurate way of reading the external monitor with LUT or no such thing? For example checking STMPE bars

Florian Höch
    Administrator

“override minimum display update delay: 1000ms” so Ive left it checked this whole time. Is this correct? Is this what I should increase and by how much?

Try increasing in steps of 100ms.

I may have read it out of context of this users problem so just wanted to check if I should have my video monitoring levels in Resolve left as “full”?

Only thing that matters is that it is the same what the monitor expects. Your current setting is working, so no need to change.

when grading should I choose “not lut” selected for the scopes? This would make sense.

Correct. No LUT for scopes.

And is there an accurate way of reading the external monitor with LUT or no such thing? For example checking STMPE bars

You mean apart from DisplayCAL verification? Resolve does not apply the LUT to its internal patterns.

Blake T
    Participant

Try increasing in steps of 100ms

Thanks. What is a way to know when the display update delay is a good amount of msecs? Would the pattern on the gui become synced with the external monitor or will it always look out of sync when doing the patches?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks. What is a way to know when the display update delay is a good amount of msecs?

Resolve doesn’t make it easy because the delay needed isn’t static, it fluctuates. So it needs to be large enough to accommodate these fluctuations. You could just set it to 1500ms or even 2000ms and that would probably be fine for all occasions, but it drives up the measurement time for large profiles considerably.

You can only check if the delay is enough by running a measurement report after each increase and looking at the distribution of delta E. When that doesn’t change much anymore, you likely have hit the sweet spot.

It might make sense to run a few measurement reports with a large delay (say 2000ms) to see if Resolve is stable with that. You can then compare to that baseline.

Blake T
    Participant

Is there any way to manually increase contrast?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is there any way to manually increase contrast?

How do you mean? Contrast is a property of the monitor.

InterrobangMP
    Participant
    1. This warning can be ignored for a video monitor that is not part of the desktop.

I’m coming up on the same error whilst calibrating my reference monitor through resolve.  I am using a decklink card.

My questions is, when you say “a video monitor that is not part of the desktop”.  Is this referring to a video monitor that is connected to something like a decklink and therefore is bypassing any colour management from the system/GPU?

Should I also ignore this warning?

Gasa Kenny
    Participant

You should really try not to have your range at Full, stick with video for both monitoring and for delivering. And for your monitor set that to 16~235 as well. Resolve brought in a lot of confusion with it’s offering of these settings which are not found in other NLE. 255 has it’s needs but when those needs come about you will hear about them from your client and it might never be mentioned because that’s very rare unless you are working in a photo/graphics environment. Other times could be if you are suing resolve as a transcoder and you might want to use the preserve sub blacks and sub whites. That’s another option you shouldn’t touch if you are grading the footage yourself.

Make sure your output device ie ultrastudio is also set to (video is converted to Y,Cb, Cr, 4:2:2 this agains in referring to 16~253 and RGB 4:4:4 is referring to 0~225

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS