DisplayCal installation

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCal installation

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

ELIASEH
    Participant

Hello all,

I need your help please. Its my first time in display calibration domain and i need your help on how to install properly displaycal.

I bought the x-rite colormunki display.

Do i need to install any software/driver for my colormunki display device from x-rite website before installing displaycal? for firmware update for my device? or displaycal alone is enough ?

Do i need to uninstall any drive/software from x-rite before installing displaycal?

After installation displaycal, and downloading Argyll when a pop-up message appears in displaycal, what to do next? there is a colorimeter correction feature, do i need it for my device? and how to apply it on displaycal.

If there is any step that i forgot, please tell me in order to be ready to start calibration properly.

Thank u so much for your help

Best regards

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Do i need to install any software/driver for my colormunki display device

No, thankfully it’s true plug-and-play, no additional driver needed.

Do i need to uninstall any drive/software from x-rite before installing displaycal?

Not necessarily. You can do so if you decide you’re not going to use the ColorMunki vendor software, but unless the ColorMunki application is running, it should not interfere with operation of DisplayCAL.

After installation displaycal, and downloading Argyll when a pop-up message appears in displaycal, what to do next? there is a colorimeter correction feature, do i need it for my device?

Yes, it is a good idea to use a colorimeter correction that matches your specific display or the display (backlight) technology. If you know your display model, but not what (backlight) technology it uses, a search on http://www.panelook.com/ may help.

After that, you’re all set, and can run your first calibration & profile by clicking the respective button.

ELIASEH
    Participant

Thank u for your help.

one more question please.

I can choose pre-set profiles in my monitor OSD (warm, cool…) or custom where i can change R G B sliders (from 0-100)

I need a target of 6500k white point,  In interactive display adjustment windows where i can measured the white point, it is better to choose the pre-set profile in my monitors OSD or adjust the R G B sliders in my monitor OSD to achieve the required white point ?

For example, if i chose a cool profile in my monitor OSD and gave me 6400K, but if a adjust the R G B sliders and i achieve closer result for example 6550K, it is better to chose the pre-set profile or the custom (R G B)sliders ? I am asking because i need to know if the R G B sliders if not set to 100-100-100 will affect color gamut space of my monitor or colors saturation.

I am confused, can you gives me your advice for best overall result with my target of 6500K ?

best regards

Florian Höch
    Administrator

is better to choose the pre-set profile in my monitors OSD or adjust the R G B sliders

Definitely better to have more fine-grained control, so adjust RGB sliders.

ELIASEH
    Participant

Dear sir,

• Can I calibrate my monitor at night with full dark in my room ? most of the time I use my monitor with no or dim light in my room, I don’t have a light bulb to put it behind the monitor, do I get accurate color calibration at night with full dark environment in my room?
    • Do I need to adjust monitor brightness in OSD same as (RGB sliders that I asked before) to achieve the desired brightness target (for example 140) in  display adjustment windows before starting calibration ?

Best regards

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Can I calibrate my monitor at night with full dark in my room ? most of the time I use my monitor with no or dim light in my room, I don’t have a light bulb to put it behind the monitor, do I get accurate color calibration at night with full dark environment in my room?

Absolutely. A dim environment is actually preferable.

Do I need to adjust monitor brightness in OSD same as (RGB sliders that I asked before) to achieve the desired brightness target (for example 140) in display adjustment windows before starting calibration ?

Yes, that is the recommended way to do it (adjust the backlight).

ELIASEH
    Participant

Hello, question please.

after finishing the calibration, should i need to use OS color management to set the icc profile as default? Or keep the displaycal installed to make its loader load the icc profile automatically when windows run? Or use both OS and displaycal loader?

also displaycal loader apply the calibration profile when i run a game and in game?

thank u

Florian Höch
    Administrator

after finishing the calibration, should i need to use OS color management to set the icc profile as default?

Installing the profile will do that for you.

also displaycal loader apply the calibration profile when i run a game and in game?

It depends on the game. Fullscreen games are usually not affected by the calibration, and have no notion of color management either. If you’d like to have correct colors in games, you can look into ReShade and creating a 3D LUT for it.

ELIASEH
    Participant

Thanks for your reply.

in windows 10, there is full screen optimization which is different than full screen.

can i know if in game, my profile is working for colors correction? How to test if my game read and use my displaycal profile?

ELIASEH
    Participant

Sir, so after the normal calibration and applying it woth displaycal loader, then i will begin to create the 3DLUT in displaycal to use it with reshade to applying it in a specific game? I am correct?

3DLUT Is a step above and after normal calibration ? So applying two calibration for my monitor? Or 3DLUT is only for games? I am confused, my main calibration is for games please. I have an IPS XB271HU gsync monitor

ELIASEH
    Participant

And also if the game accept normal icc profile, with 3DLUT the colors will be better and more calibrated in games?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

can i know if in game, my profile is working for colors correction? How to test if my game read and use my displaycal profile?

Games are not color managed, they have no notion of ICC profiles. The best you can hope for is that the desktop calibration (whitepoint/tone curve) affects the game as well, which is not the case in fullscreen exclusive mode, but might work if the game is using windowed fullscreen. This is why I mentioned ReShade, which works around these game limitations (if it works with the game in question, but ReShade is usually pretty compatible).

3DLUT Is a step above and after normal calibration ?

No, calibration comes first, then the display is characterized (profiled). The calibration needs to be active when the display profile is used. Color managed applications transform color between a given source colorspace (e.g. sRGB) and the destination display profile (but do not need to know or care about calibration, which is applied globally via the video card gamma tables aka videoLUT). A 3D LUT is nothing else but a “baked” form of such a transform, which means that if calibration was used, it must either be incorporated into the 3D LUT (preferable) and videoLUT set to linear, or loaded into the videoLUT (which has the problems associated mentioned above).

my main calibration is for games please.

Then you should incorporate the calibration into the 3D LUT and use linear calibration on the desktop while playing games. You can set exceptions with the DisplayCAL profile loader so that when a game is active, videoLUT is reset to linear automatically. Also see the guide in the Wiki.

ELIASEH
    Participant

To conclude:

First i do the calibration using calibration tab (the second tab) in displaycal, after finish, i install it using the displaycal loader and give it a name.

Than i go to 3DLUT tab (the fourth tab) then i choose from the settings tab above my profile name that i already created, than i uncheck “create 3D LUT after profiling” (because i already calibrate with the second tab), than i choose  3D LUT file format to reshade and i click create 3D LUT, it this right ? and is this the best way to do it ?

And in displaycal profile loader, right click on the icon and choose exception, than Add the game .exe file and choose the RED logo “reset video card gamma table”

is this correct?

And i need to choose same gamma that i chose in calibration tab, right ?

and what is rendering intent? which one to choose ?

thank u so much.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I assume you already have a calibration + profile, so you can use that.

ELIASEH
    Participant

Sir please help

i always get the same delta E red result , same value for the same colors, this is the 7th try, At very high, high or medium speed, why?

please refer to attached below  XB271HU.html

srgb 97,4%

volume: 109,2 %

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS