DisplayCal has never worked!

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCal has never worked!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Florian Höch
    Administrator

That looks reasonable, much more what I’d expect.

Fred
    Participant

Great! I’ll try the full 1500 patch calibration with these settings and let you know how it goes! Thanks again!

Fred
    Participant

Ok, so tried this with the default 1500 patches and got an error message. I’ve actually never been able to finish the 1500 patch setting. Message below.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If Resolve isn’t stable over prolonged periods of time, you’ll have to reduce the number of patches. The logs of the last run would interest me, please attach those.

Fred
    Participant

ah ok. How can I export the logs? Looked around couldn’t find anything.

Fred
    Participant

Another question I had was if I should definitely be setting my tone curve to ‘rec1886’ ? What sort of result would I get by leaving it ‘as measured’? I have a Flanders Scientifc and the gamma on it is set to 2.4.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Fred.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

How can I export the logs?

Menu “Tools” -> “Show log window” -> click “Save compressed archive…”

Another question I had was if I should definitely be setting my tone curve to ‘rec1886’ ?

There’s two places where you can set a tone curve: The calibration tab and the 3D LUT tab. When creating a 3D LUT, the 3D LUT setting overrides whatever is set on calibration, so this can be set to “as measured” (and is by default) to save some time.

I have a Flanders Scientifc and the gamma on it is set to 2.4.

Is it an OLED or conventional LCD? For OLED, Rec. 1886 is equivalent to 2.4 (due to OLED’s zero black level).

Fred
    Participant

Got it, maybe i’ll try it with ‘as measured’ then. Also I’ll get that report to you soon.

As far as my monitor its an LCD.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

As far as my monitor its an LCD.

Ok, in that case you may want to use “pure” gamma 2.4 (set output offset to 100%) on the 3D LUT tab instead of BT.1886, due to the LCD’s lower contrast ratio (likely IPS, so I assume around 1000:1).

Fred
    Participant

here is the log!

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks. Resolve seems to stop updating the patch area in your case. You’ll probably have to figure out when and why that happens, i.e. closely monitor the RGB values shown on the connection window and check whether the patch updates when new values arrive. Make sure the machine doesn’t try to enter power saving while measurements are still running.

There’s an unrelated peculiarity I’d like to investigate: In one of the latest logs (2019-06-13 07:04) I see an “AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘lower'” a few seconds after program launch, likely the result of some user action. The error is caught and handled though, so it’s nothing of utmost concern, but do you remember what you did right before that error?

Fred
    Participant

Thanks. Resolve seems to stop updating the patch area in your case. You’ll probably have to figure out when and why that happens, i.e. closely monitor the RGB values shown on the connection window and check whether the patch updates when new values arrive. Make sure the machine doesn’t try to enter power saving while measurements are still running.

Got it. yea I have it so the computer doesn’t fall asleep or even screensavers come on. Only the iMac’s display turns off. Should this be changed?

There’s an unrelated peculiarity I’d like to investigate: In one of the latest logs (2019-06-13 07:04) I see an “AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘lower’” a few seconds after program launch, likely the result of some user action. The error is caught and handled though, so it’s nothing of utmost concern, but do you remember what you did right before that error?

I do not, I don’t think I did anything out of the ordinary. I typically just jump into the settings then open Resolve to get the calibration going.

On another note, I ran the calibration again and it finished but I have that bright green, yellow Predator vision…. I did the default settings for Resolve but adjusted delay to 1300, Tone Curve in Calibration ‘as measured’, reduced patches to 1148,  and Tone Curve in 3D LUT Tab to Gamma 2.4 Absolute, output offset 100. I attached log again if that helps!

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Only the iMac’s display turns off. Should this be changed?

If really only the iMac display turns off, that should be fine in theory, but who knows what macOS or resolve might do behind the scenes. It should be safer to disable any form of screensaver/powersaving completely during measurements.

Profile check complete, errors: max. = 92.765126, avg. = 25.604135, RMS = 27.952402

Resolve stopped updating the patch area again.

Fred
    Participant

Ok, so ran it again and this time I even turned off the display from sleeping and I wiggled the mouse every so often. Finished and looks pretty good. Funny enough after all this I think my display was pretty well calibrated as there was very subtle changes. Just a touch warmer and a tiny, tiny bit darker blacks. Haha. Ran it st the 1148 patch size.

Attachments:
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS