DisplayCal has never worked!

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCal has never worked!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Fred
    Participant

Hi, I’m new on here and I’ve been trying to calibrate my Flanders Scientific AM210 monitor under the Resolve Setting. I think I’ve easily tried close to 10 times and every time the calibration either crashes or if it finishes I get either super bright, green, saturated colors, Predator vision, black, very raised shadows. Not sure what I’m doing wrong at this point and I’ve tried all kinds of settings, read many forums, and nothing seems to work. Only good thing is with this last update to 3.8.2 it actually finishes the calibration. I attached pics of the last settings I did. I’ve mainly changed the Tone Curve and I’ve tried Custom Gamma 2.4 Absolute, Custom Gamma  2.4 Relative Black Output Offset 100%, and As Measured. All give wonky results. Can someone guide me to see what I’m doing wrong?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Resolve on macOS currently has a bug (on some mac hardware configurations) where it will not display the test patch. You’ll have to wait for BM Design to fix it, or use Resolve under Windows (you can still run DisplayCAL on macOS).

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Florian Höch.

Fred
    Participant

Hey Florian, thanks good to know. When you say test patch you mean the colored squares correct? I do see these on my grading monitor. As far as my configuration, I have a 21″ Retina 4K iMac running Mojave 10.14.3, mini monitor, w/ an SDI to my Flanders Monitor. My GPU is a 4GB Radeon Pro 560. Would you know if this is compatible? Thanks again!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

When you say test patch you mean the colored squares correct?

The small center one, yes. Is it visible? It should NOT be one big, uniform color filling the whole screen.

Fred
    Participant

Yes, haha, the small little one that changes colors through the tests. I see all of these on my grading monitor and viewer in resolve.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

In that case, you are not affected by the aforementioned bug in Resolve. But you probably need to increase patch update delay. What’s the profile self check delta E of your current Resolve profile (see guide in the Wiki)?

Fred
    Participant

here’s a pic of the last test I did.

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Yeah, you clearly have a lot of misreads. Try increasing display update delay (make sure it’s at least 1000ms, increase in 100ms steps), create a small profile. See the ballpark numbers for self check dE you should aim for in the guide (note that all these self checks really tell you is “Resolve is not updating the patch in time”, as I doubt that the Flanders is not stable).

Fred
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll give that a try. Below is what the default delay settings have been. I’ll try 1100 and do a short test of about 4 min. Is this correct?

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Yes, that looks fine. Increase to 1100 and see if Resolve is happy.

Fred
    Participant

Ok, so I ran a test w/ 1100 delay and this is what I got. (pic attached) Any Ideas? Most of the time when I run a test I get some sort of error like this.

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Still need to increase the delay. In this case the white patch was still displayed while black patch was already sent. It may make sense to use larger increments initially (say, +200ms) until you are near the actual delay you need.

Fred
    Participant

Got ya, thanks! I’ll increase to 1300!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Also make sure you have disabled “Release video I/O hardware when not in focus” in Resolve.

Fred
    Participant

Latest results below! First time it hasn’t looked totally strange! Pic below. How does this look to you?

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS