displayCAL experience better on gnome or kde ?

Home Forums General Discussion displayCAL experience better on gnome or kde ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

hi there !

i was wondering if there are any differences in how displayCAL behaves on gnome vs kde ?

i know that wayland is experimental at the moment and x works nicely but are there actually any benefits to running displayCAL on kde ? under x of course …

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

i was wondering if there are any differences in how displayCAL behaves on gnome vs kde ?

are there actually any benefits to running displayCAL on kde ? under x of course

With regards to DE, not really. GNOME generally seems to have better colord support though, which may or may not be something you’d want (colord-kde should work fine under X though).

With regards to X11 vs Wayland, X11 support is obviously more mature, and there are some quirks with Wayland (measurement window can’t stay always on top, can’t be automatically positioned…) that need to be fixed in Wayland itself before it is on par with X11. That said, I consider DisplayCAL’s Wayland support under GNOME to be basically production-ready despite its experimental nature (and considering the caveats).

Anonymous
    Inactive

dispcal: Error – Mcv max – min 0.000000e+00 too small

sadly in the above thread i mentioned why my displayCAL – gnome – wayland exeperience wasn’t succesful but x11 is mostly ok.

you haven’t replied there so i linked here again.

you should implement a function for tagging people in forum posts like – @name-of-user > which will allert them in the notifications if the global settings for notifications are disabled.

do you have any plans to have a convergeant displayCAL app on the librem5 smartphone from purism ?

https://puri.sm/posts/converging-on-convergence-pureos-is-convergent-welcome-to-the-future/

puri.sm < is their site in case you haven’t heard about them yet.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

sadly in the above thread i mentioned why my displayCAL – gnome – wayland exeperience wasn’t succesful but x11 is mostly ok.

Not a Wayland problem though in your case.

you haven’t replied there so i linked here again.

?

Reply To: dispcal: Error – Mcv max – min 0.000000e+00 too small

you should implement a function for tagging people in forum posts like – @name-of-user

This already works @michaelms 🙂 (you need to use the username, not the “nice” name)

do you have any plans to have a convergeant displayCAL app on the librem5 smartphone from purism ?

Is this Android-based? Then no (and probably never) in that case. Or is it based on a more “normal” Linux kernel and software stack (Python available, wxPython available)? Then, probably would work without me having to change anything.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Florian Höch.

Anonymous
    Inactive

This already works

i guess i should have asked first 😀 .

Not a Wayland problem though in your case.

no i replyed again after your reply in that error post. i’ll tag you there also with an edit so you can see it if you haven’t already.

Is this Android-based?

the os is based on gnu/linux/debian(testing) and they use gnome/wayland/phosh (phoneshell-inhouse-upstreamed)/phoc (phone-compositor-inhouse-upstreamed) i think. see > https://puri.sm/posts/what-is-pureos-and-how-is-it-built/

the hardware is almost open-hardware with a few driver/firmware non-free-binaries in the baseband. 5.8 inch/lcd. a little non 2019 friendly but more freed than anything currently on the market.

they have a few laptops already on the market with intel partially deblobed /igpu(only models).

@fhoech

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS