dispcal: Error – Mcv max – min 0.000000e+00 too small

Home Forums Help and Support dispcal: Error – Mcv max – min 0.000000e+00 too small

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello,

I’m running ubuntu 19.04 on amd am4 platform with 2400g APU no dedicated graphics installed. open source driver stack.

displaycal_3.8.1.1-1_amd64 + argyllcms 2.1.1 – both installed and running ok

my desktop environment is gnome 3.32 on wayland that comes with ubuntu.

tried measuring/calibrating my samsung TV ue40nu7122k (it’s probably 7120 online since i couldn’t find it otherwise when i looked it up) with an x-rite i1 displaycal pro colorimeter.

spectral correction mode auto selects for me (the closest) for Q9 QLED TV but i this can’t be right (can it? i also tried with LCD White LED family (Ac,Lg,Samsung).

the native gama curve for this TV is rec.1886 (from the OSD settings)

i reset everything to default and disabled all gimmicky features enabled by Samsung by default only had to manually switch during measurement mode the RGB individual gain and brightness. also because the reds and greens were quite far off the target (120cd/m2 -4000k) i had to also select color mode “warm 2” and still it’s quite far from the middle.

after stopping the measurements calibration starts fine then after a few minutes stops and error:

is it neccesary to include the .log. if so where to look for it in the window explorer? or can i generalte and save one from the menu ?

also i’m confused because it’s advertised as HDR 10 (didn’t like the non-uniform brightness blotches so i disabled it in settings). is this panel a 10bit (8 bit + FRC or just 8 bit).

any help is appreciated ! by the way great software !

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

spectral correction mode auto selects for me (the closest) for Q9 QLED TV but i this can’t be right

Most TVs unfortunately use really generic EDID strings for all their different models (e.g. “SAMSUNG TV”, “Philips FTV” etc.) so correction auto-selection can’t work properly in many cases (unless the only matching correction you have happens to be for the particular actual TV model or panel technology).

Your specific TV model doesn’t seem to be wide-gamut, so White LED probably was the right choice.

This usually means that the measured brightness of a RGB > 0 patch was zero, which in turn means the TV may have switched to a power-saving mode (soft-off) during measurements, or the system may have shown a popup in front of the measurement window.

is this panel a 10bit (8 bit + FRC or just 8 bit)

Hard to know. Probably 8 bit + FRC.

Anonymous
    Inactive

hi Florian and thank you for answering so quickly !

This usually means that the measured brightness of a RGB > 0 patch was zero, which in turn means the TV may have switched to a power-saving mode (soft-off) during measurements, or the system may have shown a popup in front of the measurement window.

to be honest this made little sense to me as i haven’t seen such things happening but then i thought it must be some kind of strange quirk on waylands part and i switched to x11 which seems to have worked beautifully with the same steps and the same configuration. it did what i asked of it from start to finish no interuptions and no question asked.

i think wayland doesn’t let displaycal or argyll acces some internal video card table or some such as i read that in orange in a log file when i was trying to troubleshoot myself. i do hope you manage to get all the kinks ironed out in wayland because now on x11 i can only go 4k/30hz whereas wayland let me 4k/60hz. i did try to use wayland after i save/import/apply the profile in x11/settings/devices/color but it doesn’t work. it shows that the profile is applyed but it’s visually obvious that it’s not.

Your specific TV model doesn’t seem to be wide-gamut, so White LED probably was the right choice

yes you are probably right altough the OSD shows (greyed out) gamma – HLG and ST.2084 and in white BT.1886 (which is why i thought it best to profile my display with rec.1886 – g 2.4 – absolute – 0% offset – black point compensation). is this ok or should i have gone with rgb/rec.709/relative?

for watching 1080p blurays will i need to configure a 3dLUT with rec 709 as source ? will 4k/hdr bt.2020 sources be watchable on this screen or there is no point bothering with those formats on this particular panel ? what do you think ?

cheers, Mike

PS: this is the best i could do with the target measurements and the OSD. gnomes night color filter is unusable in my case. it just makes the screen go nuts and then reverts back so it stays off.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@fhoech i can’t edit the last post so it’s a reply. have you read  #17797 ? if yes then i’m confused.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

it shows that the profile is applyed but it’s visually obvious that it’s not.

That could be a graphics drivers problem.

for watching 1080p blurays will i need to configure a 3dLUT with rec 709 as source ?

Yes.

will 4k/hdr bt.2020 sources be watchable on this screen or there is no point bothering with those formats on this particular panel ?

You will obviously not have wide gamut so miss out a bit on color fidelity.

i can’t edit the last post

Edit protection. You are only allowed to edit for a short period of time after creating a post.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@fhoech gotcha ! no further questions here then !

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS