DisplayCal doesn't work on my iMac

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCal doesn't work on my iMac

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Gerd Rosser
    Participant

Hello there,

I have a problem with one of my Macs: A late 2015 5k iMac, running macOS High Sierra.

I’m trying to run DisplayCAL 3.5 with Argyll 2.0 and a DTP94 from X-rite. It runs fine in the same installation on my 2nd Mac (an older MacBook pro i7, also running High Sierra). When I try to start DisplayCAL on my iMac, there’s the startup sound and the splash screen quite short (shorter than on my MacBook). Then I get the main screen and a message that tells me to update Argyll, although I  already have the most recent version installed. When I tell it to update I get the “Download failed: Connection error” message… A new download doesn’t help. I have located the binaries of Argyll correctly and its path is correct in $Home/.profile. When I dismiss the message I’m on the main screen with display and instrument grayed out. (see attached screenshot) “Detect display devices and instruments” doesn’t help…

Did anyone have the same issue and/or an idea?

edit: I had the problem with non-betas, too…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

if you open Terminal, cd to the ArgyllCMS directory, can you run any of the tools (like dispcal or spotread)?

Gerd Rosser
    Participant

I’m getting the “can’t be opened because it’s from an unidentified developer” message… 🙁

Gerd Rosser
    Participant

Is there a command to get them all to work in one step?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Possibly. If it’s related to OS X’s “quarantine” flag, try

xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /path/to/argyll/bin/*

Temporarily allowing apps from any developer should also work (macOS will remember when a program was run successfully, so you can return the GateKeeper setting to something more restrictive afterwards).

Gerd Rosser
    Participant

Now I can open them, but I still have the same problem with DisplayCAL… 🙁

Gerd Rosser
    Participant

Are there any other resources to unlock?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Not that I know of. It’s not a problem that I can reproduce unfortunately.

Gerd Rosser
    Participant

Thank you anyway! 🙂 I’ll keep on searching…

Maybe someone else has a clue?

If I find a solution, you’ll read it here… 😉

tarna
    Participant

When you open DisplayCal under Mac, first push CTRL button, then click on it, and choose open! All third party softwares can be opned like this. Anyway, the download doesn’t work with this new 3.5.(1) versions! Not able to download Argyll! Sthing is wrong, I should show the folder manually…

But….even the calibration with DisplayCal is not working under Mac, so….:-)

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Anyway, the download doesn’t work with this new 3.5.(1) versions! Not able to download Argyll! Sthing is wrong, I should show the folder manually…

The website is simply under extremely high load. Try again later.

Gerd Rosser
    Participant

I found a solution (workaround) for my problem. 🙂

I have created a new user. DisplayCAL works for the new user! 🙂 I am amazed by the result!

I’ll continue the search for the problem with my main user and DisplayCAL…

tarna
    Participant

No, it’s not a solution. I don’t even know, how do you mean it. 🙂  Of course I’ve tried it, but – certainly – the problem is the same. Crushed blacks. The validated result chart is nice, but unusable icc profile unfortunatelly. And I also have a green color in Finder, at the moment, if I apply the icc profile made by DisplayCal.

How exactly did you do and what result did you get? Did you compared, checked with the same photos?

tarna
    Participant

Unfortunatelyy not, Every time I make a new install, and DC needs to download Argyll and correction files, I get the same message: Connection Error, and I have to download and apply it manually.

I’ve  tried it on two machines already. Strange. 🙁

Gerd Rosser
    Participant

Hi tarna, it worked for my problem.

With the new user DisplayCAL started up correctly and allowed me to calibrate my two displays as expected. I chose to save the ICC profile for systemwide usage and changed to my regular user… There I can choose the profiles and I’m satisfied with the result. Now I will search for the extension or preference which causes the problem with my regular user…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS