dispcalGUI calibrated monitor is way off according to HCFR

Home Forums Help and Support dispcalGUI calibrated monitor is way off according to HCFR

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

fcsx SourceForge

First of all I’m very happy I’ve found dispcalgui a few days ago, I think it’s a fantastic software with a lot of features. There are some things though I don’t understand and maybe here I can find an answer.
    I’ve bought a Spyder 3 Pro three years ago, first I used Datacolor’s software but after a while I switched to Coloreyes Display Pro. Beside working I use my PC as a media player /mpc + madvr/ the tv is connected via hdmi to a gtx 560ti. The tv was calibrated in the service menu with the help of hcfr + Spyder 3, now I’m planning to swap the tv to a projector with limited cms features so I’m was searching for a solution to be able to watch the movies color corrected, that’s how I’ve found dispcalgui. I’ve calibrated my monitor /LG IPS277L/ with the following settings:

settings

verify

The picture looks great, somehow less reddish than before, calibrated with Coloreyes, but this looks more natural to me. I checked the calibration with HCFR, because I’ll use HCFR it to calibrate my projector and possibly dispcalgui to create a 3DLut profile, but the results were different, delta E was way too high by every color.

HCFR results:

hcfr

My questions:

What could be the reason for these differences?
    Which one is the correct result?
    Am I using the correct settings for calibration?
    Is there an easy way to create a MPC readable 3Dlut files from the ones .3dl files dispcalgui supports?

Thanks in advance

• This topic was modified on 2013-01-25 19:35:30 by fcsx.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

dispcalGUI and HCFR serve different purposes. With dispcalGUI which is intended for desktop computer monitors you can calibrate to a given whitepoint and tone response curve, then characterize (profile) the screen to generate a ICC profile for use in color transforms. With HCFR which is intended for HDTV calibration you can try to achieve preset R, G, B primaries and C, M, Y secondaries too (if the TV has controls for it), so no profile is needed because the TV will (ideally) have the response which you aimed for. The former (dispcalGUI) allows for a greater flexibility provided by ICC profiles (it doesn’t matter technically what the source colorspace is), while the latter (HCFR) aims for a fixed standard (so everything that is sent to the TV is already assumed to be in the given standard colorspace).

fcsx SourceForge

First of all thanks for your answer. It’s possible I couldn’t explain well what my problem is. I’m not a calibration pro but as I wrote I used HCFR before, I know it’s purpose, and know what ICC profiles are for, the two devices connected to my PC /monitor and tv/ are setup these two ways /monitor–ICC, tv-CMS calibrated with HCFR/. What I don’t understand if I profile my monitor for example to rec709/120cdm2/d65 and I measure the monitor to check the calibration with HCFR, shouldn’t I get the same raw results as I would if validate the profile within dispcalgui?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What I don’t understand if I profile my monitor for example to rec709/120cdm2/d65 and I measure the monitor to check the calibration with HCFR, shouldn’t I get the same raw results as I would if validate the profile within dispcalgui?

I think this is part of where the misunderstanding lies. You don’t profile “to” a target, profiling (characterization) just records the response of a display in its current state. The profile verification in dispcalGUI and the measurements in HCFR are different and not comparable. In dispcalGUI’s profile verification, the XYZ values predicted for a certain RGB value triple by the display profile are compared to measurements of that RGB value, to check if the profile characterizes the actual device response well. In HCFR, it always compares measurements to a standard (e.g. Rec 709), to check how close or far away the display response is from that standard.

fcsx SourceForge

Sorry for the ambiguous wording, by profiling I meant calibrate&profile

onionjack78 SourceForge

Hello,

actually I have almost the same question and can not realy find the answer above.
    I used dispcalgui with the same settings as above to make an icc-profile for my LCD-TV, which is connected to my computer by a HDMI-cable and is used to display pictures. Then I applied this icc-profile and you can see these changes on the TV quite well. So the profile is definitely applied. Now I verified the applied profile with dispcalgui and recived pretty good results for the deltaE values (<1-2).
    After that I did a similar measurement (grayscale and color patterns) with HCFR. HCFR shows me deltaEs of about 10-15!?
    Whitepoint was set to 6500 K in both applications and tone curve was set to sRGB in both cases.

Why do I receive such different deltaE values? Is HCFR ignoring the icc-profile in its test pattern window??

Erik

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is HCFR ignoring the icc-profile in its test pattern window??

Correct, yes.

fireculex SourceForge

I couldn’t get HCFR and Dispcalgui to agree when using Whte LED. I have since switched to LCD Generic and the 10 degree observer and finally been able to color match 5 different displays. with HCFR and Dispcalgui. Using a Spyder4pro.

White Led made my 3D IPS have a red tint.

• This reply was modified on 2016-01-15 22:55:40 by fireculex.

Anton Meleshkevich
    Participant

I have the same White Balance mismatch using LCD White LED in DisplayCal and HCFR.
    Generic LCD and LCD White LED show the same WB in Displaycal, but in HCFR LCD White LED shows different WB compared to Non-Refresh Display.
    Which is correct?

P.S. The same observer selected in HCFR as in DisplayCal. But I doubt if it matters.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Please always include which instrument you’re using, otherwise it gets very confusing.

To make it clear: Both HCFR and DisplayCAL use the Argyll instlib to drive the instruments. This means that when the same settings are used, and the same patterns are measured, the results will be the same, within measurement repeatability of the instrument you’re using.

So, differing results = different settings. It’s really as simple as that.

Anton Meleshkevich
    Participant

I’m using Spyder5.

Should white balance reading be different, when I choose generic LCD vs White LED LCD?
    In DisplayCal it looks similar, while in HCFR – not.

What I finally did:
    Using HCFR and Non-Refresh Display Display Type I adjusted Gains and Offsets on TV to get good WB.
    Then in DisplayCal I selected White LED LCD and created a ICC profile.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Should white balance reading be different, when I choose generic LCD vs White LED LCD?

Again: When you use the same measurement mode or correction in both programs, and do not get the same x y chromaticity readings for white, that means you are using different settings or are not measuring the same thing.

Anton Meleshkevich
    Participant

I mean, should white balance reading be different, when I choose generic LCD  (spyder5) in DisplayCal vs White LED LCD (spyder5) In also DisplayCal?
    Seems like this 2 modes (both inside DisplayCal) look near to identical.

I’m not talking about HCFR.

Thank you!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I mean, should white balance reading be different, when I choose generic LCD (spyder5) in DisplayCal vs White LED LCD (spyder5) In also DisplayCal?
    Seems like this 2 modes (both inside DisplayCal) look near to identical.

What is that even supposed to mean? Visually? x y? Something else?

Anton Meleshkevich
    Participant

I mean, RGB bars in pre-measurement RGB Gains adjusting window.
    They look similar, no matter if I choose Generic LCD or WhiteLED LCD.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS