Did I mess up the calibration?

Home Forums General Discussion Did I mess up the calibration?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Lazarusz
    Participant

I just completed my first calibration and these are the results, did I mess something up during the calibration process or is it just because I’m calibrating a gaming monitor and shouldn’t expect decent results?

See attached file.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Turn off any “dynamic” features of the monitor (auto-dimming/-contrast/-backlight etc). Also, this monitor has a TN panel, not very suitable for anything color critical. You should use default settings in DisplayCAL and create a LUT-type profile for best accuracy.

Lazarusz
    Participant

Turn off any “dynamic” features of the monitor (auto-dimming/-contrast/-backlight etc). Also, this monitor has a TN panel, not very suitable for anything color critical. You should use default settings in DisplayCAL and create a LUT-type profile for best accuracy.

Can you explain how do I create a LUT-type profile?

I don’t think I have any dynamic features enabled on my monitor. I did use most of the default settings in displaycal, except I changed the profile type to “Single curve + matrix”.

I recently reran the calibration and this time enabled “White level drift compensation” and I think I got better results. See file.

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Can you explain how do I create a LUT-type profile?

Like I said, by using defaults.

I changed the profile type to “Single curve + matrix”.

TN panels are often not very linear, so for better accuracy use XYZ LUT.

Lazarusz
    Participant

TN panels are often not very linear, so for better accuracy use XYZ LUT.

I think I read somewhere that by using XYZ LUT, the photoshop, lightroom etc.. will behave differently and show different colors from the system, is that true?

Lazarusz
    Participant

I ran the calibration yet again with the default settings and got great results, but the rgb coverage dropped to 59% from a previous calibration of 72%. What should I do, should I leave it as it is or run more calibrations?

See file.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Lazarusz.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Lazarusz.
    Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Only LUT type profiles will show correct gamut coverage on nonlinear panels.

Lazarusz
    Participant

Only LUT type profiles will show correct gamut coverage on nonlinear panels.

So should I leave the calibration as it is?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

That would be my recommendation.

Lazarusz
    Participant

Thank you, I really appreciate you answering all these questions.

Lazarusz
    Participant

Hi, sorry to bother you again, but I noticed that photoshop shows different colors from lightroom, is that because of XYZ LUT profile? Is there any way to fix it?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Not my area of expertise, I’m not a Lightroom user. You can usually rely on Photoshop being accurate though. As Lightroom is also part of Creative Suite, make sure that your color settings are synchronized, and specifically, that the source profile for your images match in Photoshop and Lightroom, and if you are doing softproofing, those also.

Lazarusz
    Participant

Not my area of expertise, I’m not a Lightroom user. You can usually rely on Photoshop being accurate though. As Lightroom is also part of Creative Suite, make sure that your color settings are synchronized, and specifically, that the source profile for your images match in Photoshop and Lightroom, and if you are doing softproofing, those also.

I don’t know what to do, I’ve tried every color profile in photoshop to try and match what I see in lightroom, but photoshop still looks different, I mean the color difference is pretty drastic.

These are my color settings in photoshop:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Which is which? What are your color settings in Lightroom, more importantly, do they match Photoshop? Why the use of ProPhoto as RGB working space? Do you softproof?

Lazarusz
    Participant

Left is photoshop, right is lightroom and how it should look. I don’t softproof.

These are my settings in lightroom:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS