Delta E 2000 before and after calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Delta E 2000 before and after calibration

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Jarrod
    Participant

After calibrating with displaycal, I see that I can view Delta E 2000 average after calibration in the report. Is there a way to also see/record the value prior to calibration so I can see what the difference is? Thanks.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Jarrod.

Vincent
    Participant

Measurement report, select as simulation profile the uncalibrated target you wish to compate to, use simulation profile as display profile.

Jarrod
    Participant

What do I select from the drop down on the simulation profile section? There are lots of options like ACES etc and I’m not sure which of these to pick.

MW
    Participant

sRGB, unless you have a wide gamut display.

Jarrod
    Participant

How would you go about determining that, and if it is wide gamut then which?

For context I test 2-3 different laptop panels a week, previously I had just been using the Spyder 5 with their software, but now I’m using the i1 Display Pro with DisplayCAL.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

How would you go about determining that, and if it is wide gamut then which?

You should know it in advance when you bought that monitor. sRGB “common” displays, widegamut P3 or AdoberGB or AdobeRGB+P3 displays.

For context I test 2-3 different laptop panels a week, previously I had just been using the Spyder 5 with their software, but now I’m using the i1 Display Pro with DisplayCAL.

For testing laptops since you have a very high variety of WLED sRGB backlights you may need an spectrophotometer. Also most newer widegamut laptop models may have new backlights and you do not know wich one.
    On desktop monitors, specially specialized ones for image editing we know or can know backlight (community, review) so a i1displaypro should be enough.

Lionheart
    Participant

So, for wide gamut displays for example 160%sRGB & 98%DCI-P3 (quoted as per tech specs), which “simulation profile” do we check against for uncalibrated display to get measurement report?

These are the reports I want to get, but I’m not 100% sure what to select from the menus in the Verification tab (Setting / Testchart or reference / Simulation profile (checkbox) / Use simulation profile as display profile (checkbox) / Tone curve) –

1. Measurement report for uncalibrated display
    2. Measurement report for calibrated display using ONLY OSD adjustments
    3. Measurement report for calibrated and profiled display.

For full verification, am I right in thinking that the calibration needs to be verified in the following ? –

1. Display with profile loaded verified against the calibration profile just created (to see what is being displayed on monitor as measured by i1Display Pro matches the values in the calibration profile)
    2. Display with profile loaded verified against each of the standards loaded in the simulation profile (for example against sRGB, Adobe RGB, DCI-P3) – which means have to load each simulation profile separately and do measurement report for each one? Is there one that will cover all of verification standards (or selected standards) at once?

I have tried reading through quite a few posts regarding verification settings but still don’t know if I’m understanding correctly. Would be great if you could lay out a step by step ‘how to’ for the above!

Thank you

Vincent
    Participant

So, for wide gamut displays for example 160%sRGB & 98%DCI-P3 (quoted as per tech specs), which “simulation profile” do we check against for uncalibrated display to get measurement report?

No simulation. Set as default display profile the ICC provided by vendor driver (or EDID auto generated by macOS)

These are the reports I want to get, but I’m not 100% sure what to select from the menus in the Verification tab (Setting / Testchart or reference / Simulation profile (checkbox) / Use simulation profile as display profile (checkbox) / Tone curve) –

1. Measurement report for uncalibrated display
    2. Measurement report for calibrated display using ONLY OSD adjustments
    3. Measurement report for calibrated and profiled display.

For using it in color managed apps, same as my previous answer, but in 3) you must use as default display profile in OS settings the one you made with DisplayCAL.

For using it with non color managed apps (like games), set an OSD mode in Display which simulates sRGB and tweak it the best you can in “2)”, then in your cases “1)” & “2)” set simulation profile sRGB + “use simulation profile as display profile”.
    For non color managed apps “3)” cannot be verified directly since DisplayCAL is more oriented to color managed apps. It can be verified with HCFR (make sure you dd not disable LUT in its configuration) or running DisplayCAL on a virtual machine over main/host OS with calibration loaded. If dispaycal ever gets an update, you can request it as a future feature.

For full verification, am I right in thinking that the calibration needs to be verified in the following ? –

1. Display with profile loaded verified against the calibration profile just created (to see what is being displayed on monitor as measured by i1Display Pro matches the values in the calibration profile)

Yes

1. Display with profile loaded verified against each of the standards loaded in the simulation profile (for example against sRGB, Adobe RGB, DCI-P3) – which means have to load each simulation profile separately and do measurement report for each one? Is there one that will cover all of verification standards (or selected standards) at once?

That verification is meant to be used regarding coverage. For example You have a mac P3 screen wchish do not cover some printable cyans in AdobeRGB, and you want to see overall accuracy + errors when display cannot go. Use simutaion profile + SO NOT use use simulation profile as display profile can be used to test this.
    Or the same test with a 93% sRGB screen validating error in out of gamut colors showing srGB content.

I have tried reading through quite a few posts regarding verification settings but still don’t know if I’m understanding correctly. Would be great if you could lay out a step by step ‘how to’ for the above!

Thank you

Lionheart
    Participant

I’m wanting to rename a couple of profiles I created. When renaming a profile, there’s lots of other files (.wrz .png .cal .gz .log .ti etc) in the same folder (other than the .icm profile) – Do we rename those too?

Lionheart
    Participant

I also want to create a Gamma adjustment only profile where I can use OSD to turn down the saturation to my liking before profiling as some things like icons still look way oversaturated.

What’s the proper way to go about this? 1, 2, or 3 below?

1. Adjust saturation in OSD first then select “NONE” in corrections and calibrate, or

2. Adjust saturation in OSD and select my usual correction, then calibrate, or

3. Calibrate with correction first then adjust saturation in OSD?

And do I use “Default (Gamma 2.2)” setting in Calibration tab for this (which means whitepoint will be left as measured) OR use my usual whitepoint setting and select Gamma 2.2 in Tone Curve?

If I adjust saturation before calibrate and profile through DisplayCAL the profile info says my gamut coverage drops. That’s why I’m thinking to just make profile with ONLY Gamma 2.2 adjustment.

Vincent
    Participant

I’m wanting to rename a couple of profiles I created. When renaming a profile, there’s lots of other files (.wrz .png .cal .gz .log .ti etc) in the same folder (other than the .icm profile) – Do we rename those too?

That other files are not needed, you can reinstal profile from scratch with ICM.

Changing file name will change file name, not “profile name” which is inside ICC file.

I also want to create a Gamma adjustment only profile where I can use OSD to turn down the saturation to my liking before profiling as some things like icons still look way oversaturated.

That is what you do with usual calibration

What’s the proper way to go about this? 1, 2, or 3 below?

1. Adjust saturation in OSD first then select “NONE” in corrections and calibrate, or

2. Adjust saturation in OSD and select my usual correction, then calibrate, or

3. Calibrate with correction first then adjust saturation in OSD?

None.

Use HCFR (AVS Forum 3.5.3.4) reading primaries (you MUST USE proper CCSS), tweak OSD saturation till you get the closest you can to sRGB primaries/secondaries. You can fix white point too. It is using ArgyllCMS under the hood.

Once primaries+secondaries are sRGB-like, then close HCFR, run DisplayCAL and with the same CCSS as colorimeter correctiom calibrate to desired gamma & white target.

And do I use “Default (Gamma 2.2)” setting in Calibration tab for this (which means whitepoint will be left as measured) OR use my usual whitepoint setting and select Gamma 2.2 in Tone Curve?

If I adjust saturation before calibrate and profile through DisplayCAL the profile info says my gamut coverage drops. That’s why I’m thinking to just make profile with ONLY Gamma 2.2 adjustment.

This is what you are doing… GPU 1D LUT calibration (DisplayCAL/i1Profiler…etc) only modifies grey.

Lionheart
    Participant

Thanks Vincent,

Tried searching for HCFR 3.5.3.4 on avs forum but link is down. Seems it is a test version. The latest official version still available is 3.5.1.4. is that ok to use?

I’ve installed 3.5.1.4. It recognises i1display pro meter but can’t find any CCSS files. How do I add them manually?

Vincent
    Participant

There should eb a folder in user/roaming, I do not remember.
    AFAIK it uses the same folder as ArgyllCMS, so they should be there.

Lionheart
    Participant

I don’t see any Argyllcms folder in roaming.

Do I need to install Argyllcms separately for HCFR?

When installing Displaycal it said if my device is i1display pro then don’t need to install separate driver files so I followed that.

I tried to have a go without any correction file in HCFR. I can see the icon for ‘measure rgb primaries and secondaries’ but not sure what I’m supposed to keep an eye on when adjusting the Saturation setting on OSD – am I trying to get the RGB % and delta values on the left as close to 100% as possble?

On initial try, bringing saturation down to even low as 10 doesn’t those number on the left by a significant amount, although visually the colors are extremely desaturated.

Sorry for so many questions, completely new to calibration by meter/Displaycal etc. Really appreciate you taking the time to answer my queries 🙂

Vincent
    Participant

USER\AppData\Roaming\ArgyllCMS, CCSS should be there.

Argyll code is inside HCFR, all in one AFAIK.

There is a dE error for RGBCMY. Minimize it, you can get visual feedback in a CIE 2D plot included in that app. Maybe you did not enable it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS