Delta E 2000 before and after calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Delta E 2000 before and after calibration

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Lionheart
    Participant

Yeah ArgyllCMS folder not there.

There is a ArgyllCms folder in c:\programdata with the ccss files there. Where do I copy them to for HCFR to use them?

Also had a question about near black grays. Gamma 2.2 relative profile lifts the near blacks bit too much. I’ve tried Gamma 2.4, Gamma 2.2 absolute,sRGB, rec1886 but they seem to affect overall and not reduce the near blacks only. 

How do I adjust that?

Thanks

Vincent
    Participant

In my setup it is placed on user\appdata\roaming folder, but I’m not using default installer for DisplayCAL, just replace newer versions over older one.
    Try to copy (do not move) ArgyllCMS folder with CCSS to your user folder as I wrote or ask HCFR dev for details.

Regarding your last question and as I wrote previously (maybe in other thread) priority is AFAIK to do not clip preserving a minimum grey separation, grey neutrality and target TRC, in that order. If your display has severe issues near black prioritizes fixing them since “gamma” can be corrected with color management later (or with a LUT3D).

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Vincent.

Lionheart
    Participant

Ok. I will try create a new ArgyllCMS folder under user\appdata\roaming…etc and copy the CCSS files there and see if it gets picked up. Thanks. Also posted on AVS forum asking regarding this, awaiting response.

By ‘do not clip’ – do you mean to not clip the gamut? how do I check this? I’ve attached one of the profiles I made for reference if that helps..

I’m not sure how to check and adjust for each of those things (Minimum gray separation, Gray nutrality, Target TRC). Would be good if there’s a guide for ‘dummies’ on checking and adjusting each of those – ie. which menu to go to, which option to select, what button to adjust etc.

Tonight so far I’ve been stabbing at the dark making profiles while changing 1 thing at a time in ‘Calibrations’ tab to see how my darks are affected. So far I’ve noted the following –

• Reducing black output offset to 0 washes out dark grays
    • Gamma 2.2 relative TRC results in elevated dark grays. In the attached “Black levels..” image the jump from bar 16-17 looks bigger than jumps between others. If I DON’T have any profile running/default windows sRGB profile running then the jumps are more even, but can’t see by 17, and barely able to make out bar 18 in dim room.
    • If I use the “ASUS PG329Q…Factory CC”, also attached, (ASUS profile from their website product download page) then the dark grays look to have even jumps and I can just about see bar 17, and in photos the grays are not ‘washed out’ – makes other colours stand out better.
    • Rec 709 TRC with “Reset video card gamma table” selected from DisplayCAL profile loader results in closer match to ASUS Factory profile, but blacks are crushed. However, if I select “Reset video card gamma table” with Gamma 2.2 TRC, nothing changes visually.

thanks

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

By ‘do not clip’ – do you mean to not clip the gamut? how do I check this? I’ve attached one of the profiles I made for reference if that helps..

Maybe I wrote it the wrong way. I mean to keep a minimum separation between greys so you do not have cliped black.

I’m not sure how to check and adjust for each of those things (Minimum gray separation, Gray nutrality, Target TRC). Would be good if there’s a guide for ‘dummies’ on checking and adjusting each of those – ie. which menu to go to, which option to select, what button to adjust etc.

You can’t. Only target TRC in calibration settings.

For a color managed workflow the 2 first ones are mandatory, non optional. 3rd one is not important for color managed apps like I said in previous message.

• If I use the “ASUS PG329Q…Factory CC”, also attached, (ASUS profile from their website product download page) then the dark grays look to have even jumps and I can just about see bar 17, and in photos the grays are not ‘washed out’ – makes other colours stand out better.

No, if validating factory profile against factory calibration that profile does not track actual display response… you are seeing things wrong.

• Rec 709 TRC with “Reset video card gamma table” selected from DisplayCAL profile loader results in closer match to ASUS Factory profile, but blacks are crushed. However, if I select “Reset video card gamma table” with Gamma 2.2 TRC, nothing changes visually.

You should not use Rec709 TRC for calibration.

Re read my 2nd paragraph in this message.
    If you actually want to track some TRC “exactly” whatever the cost, use a LUT3D (with Le Doge’s DWMLUT).
    Your desired TRC is meaningless for a color managed workflow… it does not matter at all as long as profile tracks display. Images will show with the TRC of their colospace (contrast adjust of course to do not clip blacks) => It does not matter at all if you display is TRC sRGB, TRC g2.2, TRC 2.6… as long as display ICC profile captures this behavior, TRC will be undone on a color managed app and it will show the same image regardless on your display gamma. That is the reasong it it not prioritary.
    If you wish to track some TRC no matter the drawbacks,  use a LUT3D but depening on configuration blacks may clip.

Jarrod
    Participant

I just did a Google search on this as I still don’t know how to do it and this thread comes up so I’ll try again 🙂

I have just calibrated a laptop display and we’re looking like the attached file.

What exactly do I need to do in order to view Delta E before the calibration? I am assuming the measurement report that was created where it lists “Average ΔE*00” is after the calibration and not before? Can anyone confirm that’s right, and if so how do I check Average ΔE*00 prior to calibration so I can see what difference calibration actually made?

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

What exactly do I need to do in order to view Delta E before the calibration? I am assuming the measurement report that was created where it lists “Average ΔE*00” is after the calibration and not before? Can anyone confirm that’s right, and if so how do I check Average ΔE*00 prior to calibration so I can see what difference calibration actually made?

Assign default ICM from vendor or create a ICM from EDID DATA. Assig that profile as default display profile. Settings: current, Verification tab, measurement report.

Alternative approach, verificatipn tab, simulate profile :vendor or edid profile, use simulation profile as display profile, measurement report

Jarrod
    Participant

Assign default ICM from vendor or create a ICM from EDID DATA. Assig that profile as default display profile. Settings: current, Verification tab, measurement report.

Alternative approach, verificatipn tab, simulate profile :vendor or edid profile, use simulation profile as display profile, measurement report

Sorry I do not understand, there are a ton of options in the drop down and I don’t know what any of them are?

Attachments:

MW
    Participant

One of my displays EDID has some weird white point.

Attachments:
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS