Dell S2721DGFA monitor giving eye strain after nvidia update

Home Forums Help and Support Dell S2721DGFA monitor giving eye strain after nvidia update

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Vincent
    Participant

So a meter helps me to tell how far away I am for srgb, so I can set it myself? Does it tell what exactly needs correction?

Yes. DisplayCAL in white, HCFR in primaries & white, and idf it was a TV some greys too.

But the white color can be turned white again after grey with calibration right?

White is fixed with RGB gain controls. sRGB simulation inside monitor cluld be done with saturation controls whicha re different

Also, there’s no software that can help emulate srgb for my monitor right?

-GPU driver sRGB emulation from EDID data, system wide. fro nvidia several neighbor threads, for AMD is turning custom color ON, color temperature OFF.

-Photoshop/GIMP if use vendor/driver ICC profile. Same with Edge & Firefox but you may need to configure firefix to do full color management (= non tagged images or HTML colors => assume that are sRGB)

-LUT3D using rec709 as source colorspace and vendor/driver ICC  for MadVR (movies). Reshade can use the same but I’ve not used Reshade so I cannot help.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Vincent.

Case
    Participant

BTW, you could probably try looking for an ICC profile for your monitor. Some reviewers tend to make them and share them, usually with settings (on the monitor) they used while making those. It won’t guarantee your monitor will be color accurate (in fact it’s more likely than not it won’t be) because every single monitor is slightly different, even if you take them right off the manufacturing line, and as mentioned, they also drift over time, but it should get you somewhere in the correct ballpark, and you don’t seem to be too worried about color accuracy anyway (just stating, not criticizing or anything). Though with games in particular, some of them might still ignore the color profile, that’s something to bear in mind.

For example, Rtings has an ICC profile available in their review, along with settings they used: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2721dgf

Though a luminance of 101 cd/m2 is fairly low, so you’d probably want to raise the brightness a little. Oh, and DGF is technically the same monitor, just some power consumption tweaks were made for the DGFA variant for compliancy reasons.

(And really, this whole discussion only once again shows how horrible is the idea of selling wide gamut monitors to gamers and general users who typically only view sRGB content, and doubly so when you don’t even provide an sRGB clamp on the monitor itself.)

Vincent
    Participant

Calman profies (rtings) are useless. Just profile description + 3xTRC, no custom VCGT. A lot of potential issues. Better to stick to driver/vendor ICC, the same but nominal “perfect grey” TRC, so as long as grey looks neutral, no visual artifacts on color managed apps.

For sRGB content and apps with no ICC support, saturation controls using some sRGB display reference and MS paint trick to ger R , G & B simulated primaries close to sRGB.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Vincent.

The Mike
    Participant

But not everything uses icc right?

Which means it’s better to adjust the monitor on the monitor itself instead of software, as software can blow you away if not supporting icc, or is there something I have misunderstood?

The Mike
    Participant

I’ve read, that if you use icc profiles not all programs support it, which would mean these programs would burn my eyes if they didn’t support icc, which means it’s better to just adjust on a hardware level.

I mainly play games on it, and I don’t know if all games support icc.

Vincent
    Participant

Use both. Read your monitor manual, there should be some Custom color mode + other modes. Custom allows to tweak whitepoint. Check which modes allow saturation control change.

Let’s say mode “A” allows change saturation. Use A to simulate sRGB primaries to play games
    a) visually with MS paint
    b) HCFR + colorimeter
    if option B) use DisplayCAL too to calibrate grey & white

Let’s say mode “B” allows to change RGB gains for white at native gamut, Use B for color managed apps: Photoshop, madVR (with a LUT3D), Resolve (LUT3D), GIMP, Firefox, edge… for non LUT3D apps try if possible to use single curve matrix profile, if monitor is good it should minimize some rounding errors.

Do you get it? Use 2 modes and 2 ICC, one ICC per OSD mode. One for gamming, one for apps that support ICC. That’s what people that owns monitors with reliable HW cal do.

Also your Dell should have Dell Display Manager (DDM) for fast OSD switch. If you had a colorimeter and custom ICC made with displayCAL OSD+profile change can be done in 4 miuse clicks.
    DDM => change to OSD A or B
    then
    DisplayCAL tray app (calibration loader) => change default display profile from “My profile A.icm” to “”My profile B.icm”

justa  few clicks, very fast.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS