Dell S2721DGFA monitor giving eye strain after nvidia update

Home Forums Help and Support Dell S2721DGFA monitor giving eye strain after nvidia update

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

The Mike
    Participant

So I got this monitor 9 days ago, and we’re loving it a lot. Had some issues with nvidia not always detecting it as a g sync monitor, so I decided to ditch my nvidia driver from April to the newest from December, cleaning all previous settings as my previous monitor was running default confic anyway and I like swiping previous updates.

To my biggest horror, the colors changed. The image became much darker, and colors like red were neon like.

I read about this issue and noticed that my monitor is a wide gamut. But if I could use this monitor for 7 days without any issues and more friendly colors, then I assume its the drivers that are troubling me, even when my monitor has these extreme color settings.

I’d tried to dampen the vibrance, and even change color, and tried warmer and cold colors on my monitor, but even though it is a little easier on my eyes, the eye strain will eventually kick in.

Before the update I could play for hours without any issues, but after the update which oversaturated everything my eyes really hurts after a few minutes of using it.

Does anyone know what could cause this? I’d tried to reset both my monitor and nvidia to factory details but without any luck. I’d managed to dampen the red color but I still feel eye strain.

I tried to make the full dynamic range under nvidia to limited, which seemed to dampen the colors. Maybe a little too much, but it did delay the feeling of eye strain.

Is it stupid to change the settings so much when you are already affected? Does it take days for the eye strain to go away from the display so I can see if it helped?

Case
    Participant

It’s a wide gamut monitor with no sRGB clamp available, so the question indeed is why you could use it before without the image being oversaturated.

However, nVidia has added some options in regard to color in December drivers, so it might somehow relate to that. Check the “color accuracy mode” setting in the “Adjust desktop color settings” section.

https://www.nvidia.com/content/Control-Panel-Help/vLatest/en-us/mergedProjects/nvdsp/CS_Adjust_Color_Settings_Advanced.htm

Ronaldmof
    Participant

Easiest is to not have the option see last 24H post but show all unreadposts. This should be an easy option as this is in almost all Forum software. That just shows everything you didnt read yet, even if you havent been online for a couple of days.

The Mike
    Participant

It’s a wide gamut monitor with no sRGB clamp available, so the question indeed is why you could use it before without the image being oversaturated.

However, nVidia has added some options in regard to color in December drivers, so it might somehow relate to that. Check the “color accuracy mode” setting in the “Adjust desktop color settings” section.

https://www.nvidia.com/content/Control-Panel-Help/vLatest/en-us/mergedProjects/nvdsp/CS_Adjust_Color_Settings_Advanced.htm

I tried to find this solution, but given I use a danish laoyout and cant find any screenshots or videos about this setting, then Im a little confused where it is.

I guess it is this feature I should put on?

It translates into something like:
    “override for reference mode”.

It’s on now because I try to use it now after you said it.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by The Mike.

Vincent
    Participant

Another option is to use saturation controls in some gamer OSD preset to limit gamut to sRGB, then calibrate grey & white as usual with DIsplayCAL.
    Bring native primaries to sRGB emulated ones can be done with ARgyllCMS command line spotread and MS paint patches or HCFR (DisplayCAL’s cousin). HCFR is easier.
    This option I explained is more versatile than nvidia control panel since you can plug it to a videoconsole.. but grey may be not so good after tweaking satiration controls, make sure you check how it performs without GPU calibration (DisplayCAL use simulatin profil as display profile or HCFR without VCGT applied).

The Mike
    Participant

Another option is to use saturation controls in some gamer OSD preset to limit gamut to sRGB, then calibrate grey & white as usual with DIsplayCAL.
    Bring native primaries to sRGB emulated ones can be done with ARgyllCMS command line spotread and MS paint patches or HCFR (DisplayCAL’s cousin). HCFR is easier.
    This option I explained is more versatile than nvidia control panel since you can plug it to a videoconsole.. but grey may be not so good after tweaking satiration controls, make sure you check how it performs without GPU calibration (DisplayCAL use simulatin profil as display profile or HCFR without VCGT applied).

The problem with this monitor is it doesnt have an sRGB option in the OSD menu. It only has RGB and some other Y something option.

I messed a little with the saturation and brightness on the monitor and i became more better now, though it can see a little grey and less colored, but at least I didnt get any eye strain today after playing some hours so it seems like theres hope.

Vincent
    Participant

The problem with this monitor is it doesnt have an sRGB option in the OSD menu. It only has RGB and some other Y something option.

And? That is what saturation controls  (RGB or RGBCMY) are for. Mix native primaries (with some idealiation in mixture) to create virtual/emulated primaries that make display behave like some smaller than native colorspace.

The gains (RGB gains) are for tweaking whitepoint. They are different from saturation.

I messed a little with the saturation and brightness on the monitor […].

“Do not mess with”: Measure instead, make them behave like sRGB.

The Mike
    Participant

I dont have the hardware tool to measure it. I dont know how to make it behave like sRGB

Vincent
    Participant

I dont have the hardware tool to measure it. I dont know how to make it behave like sRGB

You should not buy widegamuts without tools to measure them… they are useless otherwise.

Anyway, you can try this: If you have a sRGB like display that you can trust, you can do something “by eye appraisal”. Just put 255 color value in big R, G & B patches in MS paint on both displays. They play with saturation controls on P3 dell until these 3+3 patches visually match or at least they are very close.

The Mike
    Participant

I didn’t know wide gamut was a thing before I bought this monitor. It didn’t say that anywhere.

Worthless technology.

The Mike
    Participant

If I buy a calibrator thing, is the monitor then good for gaming? Does it fix everything from color to contrast and brightness?

Vincent
    Participant

Not sure if you are using the “contrast” word properly. Contrast is just the ratio between “light emited” at white 255 and at black 0. On an IPS it is more or less constant across all brightness and about 1000:1. That usually means that “black 0,0,0” shines more brightly than in a VA panel TV. Nothing more. If you were using TN panes in the past nothing changes going to an IPS.

If by “contrast” you actually meant “oversaturation” due to being a P3 display and not an sRGB one while you play sRGB/rec709 games (= “content meant to be played on a sRGB-like display), it is up to what dell is doing with saturation control. I meant what R’,  R’ = “simulated red primary”, R’=A11*R+A12*G+A13*B, where R G & B are native primaries. So tweaking OSD saturation control for R or R/M/Y  is adding at least some A12 and A13 non zero values. All this internal to electronics (with some fixed/predictable relation between the Aij that varies with OSD control value). You just see a generic friendly number called “saturation OSD control for R” (or Red + Magenta + Yellow depending of actual saturation control).
    You can try this without a measurement device as instructed previosly => MS Paint con Dell and a trusted sRGB-like display.
    If you had a good measurement device, like an i1d3 colorimeter and using proper correction for taht Dell backlight (very likely to be WLED PFS 95% P3) you can do the same but with better accuracy. Use HCFR application to do that, it uses ArgyllCMS under the hood.

Regarding brightness unless display hays a very very vey hight light ouptput at “brightness OSD control 0%” (and Dell does not do that AFAIK) you can fix it manually. Just lower it untill you are confortable.
    IDNK if that Dell S-line model has some kind of slow PWM for brightness control taht behaves like strobe light, if it does not (and all new Dells DO NOT use low frecuency PWM) it should not bother you.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

The Mike
    Participant

But a meter is for converting the rgb to srgb right? If not then what is the purpose of it?

I’ve also read its good to use every month or so. Will the color be worse over time or just change?

Vincent
    Participant

But a meter is for converting the rgb to srgb right? If not then what is the purpose of it?

No. Device just measures. HCFR gives you feedback about how farw away are from your target, if you want to se saturation controls to mimic sRGB.
    ArgyllCMS/HCFR/DisplayCAL have no DDC/CI for full auto, so some user interaction with OSD is needed. Same for monitors wih HW calibration that can simulate sRGB, vendor software has to provide that functionlaity.

What DisplaYCAL can do  is generate LUT3D “full auto” fro several content colorspaces fro Resolve, madVR or Reshade.

I’ve also read its good to use every month or so. Will the color be worse over time or just change?

Typically white point will drift with time and grey uncalibrated responde tends to be worse in the same params/tendcency but worse (bigger distances between them).
    Gamut emulation (simulated sRGB primaries) for a gamer should remain very stable “visually”.

The Mike
    Participant

So a meter helps me to tell how far away I am for srgb, so I can set it myself? Does it tell what exactly needs correction?

But the white color can be turned white again after grey with calibration right?

Also, there’s no software that can help emulate srgb for my monitor right?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS