Creating multiple profiles

Home Forums Help and Support Creating multiple profiles

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

MajesticBeardsman
    Participant

Hello,

I am new to calibration and colour management and I have a couple of questions.

I recently calibrated my 23″ LG monitor to 5000k for print editing (I have a 5000k LED bulb as well for ambient light) and I set my brightness to a comfortable level before hand. When it came to changing the RGB sliders in the OSD to get the coloured bars in the centre (during calibration setup) I had to change the numbers quite a lot. Red, green and blue all started at 50. The red stayed at 50 but green I had to adjust to 30 and blue went all the way down to 16. Is this normal? My monitor appears to look normal and when editing photos everything appears to be ok.

My second question is about calibrating and creating a second profile, specifically 6500k for web based editing. I tried today but was concerned because I had to readjust the RGB sliders which I thought might ruin my first profile so I left it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MB

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

My second question is about calibrating and creating a second profile

It does not make sense to create calibrations with different targets unless you want to use the monitor in actual different environments (e.g. you have a viewing booth and ambient lighting that you can switch between D50 and D65) and want the monitor to match the respective environment.

MajesticBeardsman
    Participant

Hi,

My second question is about calibrating and creating a second profile

It does not make sense to create calibrations with different targets unless you want to use the monitor in actual different environments (e.g. you have a viewing booth and ambient lighting that you can switch between D50 and D65) and want the monitor to match the respective environment.

Right, that makes sense. The problem is, from what I’ve read, 5000k is good for prints and 6500k is good for sharing images online as monitors tend to be 6500kish out of the box. If I edit images that are intended for web at 5000k, aren’t they going to look off? How might I get around this issue?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

5000k is good for prints and 6500k is good for sharing images online

While not patently wrong (although it comes close), it’s a gross oversimplification. It’s important to understand why that would be the case (hint: it depends), or rather, why it wouldn’t matter in the vast majority of cases.

In a home or office situation, worrying about the whitepoint a lot is usually almost pointless (unless you want to match several displays to one another, or to another source of white light like a viewing booth).

If I edit images that are intended for web at 5000k, aren’t they going to look off?

The simple answer is no.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS