Contrast ratio choice

Home Forums Help and Support Contrast ratio choice

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

dweeble
    Participant

i1Display Pro arrives today (thanks guys) and I’m reading up in advance. Came across a blog from x-rite which suggest that rather than using Native, a CR of 300:1 is a good starting point for glossy paper and 200:1 for matte. Some of the papers I use are very matte.

Am I right in thinking that the best way round is to run the calibration twice with two different CRs , creating two profiles, and I can then switch between them using Windows Color Management?

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

i1Display Pro arrives today (thanks guys) and I’m reading up in advance. Came across a blog from x-rite which suggest that rather than using Native, a CR of 300:1 is a good starting point for glossy paper and 200:1 for matte. Some of the papers I use are very matte.

Am I right in thinking that the best way round is to run the calibration twice with two different CRs , creating two profiles, and I can then switch between them using Windows Color Management?

That CR will be made by GPU LUT loosing a lot of unique greys. For 2 settings at different contrast you’ll need a monitor that can store 2 separate user / custom configuration. Also it is possible that modifying native/factory contrast too much may result in artifacts depending on display.

Since you’ll have to simulate printer profile for softproof, just use “simulate ink” and Photoshop of other apps will destroy contrast on image and just on image being simulated.
    Example: white point  & white level value recomended by your lab, closest to native gamma (usually 2.2), detailed profile. Then just enable simulate ink option when softproof. For further CR verification jut can measure “simulated black” with spotread and calculate actual contrast. Beware using simulate paper white, it expects that light source for prints matches whitepoint on display, D65 monitor + simulate paper white =/= paper white under D50 light

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Vincent.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS