Colorimeter profiling

Home Forums Help and Support Colorimeter profiling

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

tony359 SourceForge

Hi Florian,
    Playing with DispcalGUI today I created a correction for my other monitor, a Iiyama. As a reference I use a Jeti 1201. I had previously created a correction for my main Dell monitor, am I correct in thinking that each display device will need its own calibration – even though results should be very similar if the display share the same light source?

DispcalGUI asks me to import a colorimeter correction at startup. Having made my own correction can I just ignore that? And how do I prevent the software from asking me to import a file every time it boots?

Finally, after creating a correction for the Iiyama, if I go back to “create colorimeter correction” the software seems to remember the previous readings, so I cannot calibrate another display. Is that supposed to happen?

Thank you as usual for your great work!
    Tony

• This topic was modified on 2015-07-26 15:41:38 by tony359.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi Tony,

am I correct in thinking that each display device will need its own calibration – even though results should be very similar if the display share the same light source?

Ideally yes.

And how do I prevent the software from asking me to import a file every time it boots?

Just import them once.

Finally, after creating a correction for the Iiyama, if I go back to “create colorimeter correction” the software seems to remember the previous readings, so I cannot calibrate another display.

Not sure what you mean. You can just take new measurements.

tony359 SourceForge

But what should I import? I created my own and activated under “correction”.

If I do a correction the software asks me to take a reading with my reference meter and then with the colorimeter. Then I create the correction file.
    If I then open that page again, the readings have a green tick on them. I can take another reading with my colorimeter but then I’m taken to the page where I can confirm the values and create a meter correction – without having had a chance to take a new refererence measurement. Does this make sense?
    Thanks!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

But what should I import? I created my own and activated under “correction”.

I assume you’re using an i1D3, so the i1 profiler should be selected.

I can take another reading with my colorimeter but then I’m taken to the page where I can confirm the values and create a meter correction – without having had a chance to take a new refererence measurement.

Take the reference reading first.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

tony359 SourceForge

I assume you’re using an i1D3, so the i1 profiler should be selected.

Yes, sorry, i1D3. Ok, I have selected i1Profiler, I see what happens now.
    Secondary question: if I try to create a spectral correction, I can only take a reference measure. How does that work?
    I created a matrix correction.

Take the reference reading first.
    That was an easy solution, thanks!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Ok, I have selected i1Profiler, I see what happens now.

I’ll make it optional in the next update, i.e. if you create your own correction it won’t ask to import the vendor files.

if I try to create a spectral correction, I can only take a reference measure. How does that work?

A “spectral” correction is really only just the spectral measurements of the reference spectrometer. Only instruments which have access to their own spectral filter characteristics (which includes the i1D3 and Spyder4/5) can make use of these. What happens internally is that a least squares matrix correction is generated on-the-fly from the two spectral sample sets.

tony359 SourceForge

I’ll make it optional in the next update, i.e. if you create your own correction it won’t ask to import the vendor files.

sounds good, thanks!

A “spectral” correction is really only just the spectral measurements of the reference spectrometer.

Thanks for explaining. My very basic question is: what shall I use with my i1D3?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

My very basic question is: what shall I use with my i1D3?

Matrix correction should provide the closest colorimetric match to the reference.

tony359 SourceForge

That’s great,
    thanks again!

changedsoul SourceForge

I am trying to play with this a bit. I have a Spyder 4 Pro that to my eye looks very red after calibrated. I created a custom Matrix File in HCFR Software using probably a very wrong technique, but I would like to use this file in dispcal. If you are at all familar with HCFR matrix file format, is it possible to convert it to or use directly with dispcal?

I cannot calibrate my laptop with HCFR, but I can with dispcal, so i wanted to try calibrating with this cutom matrix file and see if I made it worse, or better :).

Any way to use HCFR’s custom matrix file?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You can edit an existing CCMX and overwrite the matrix. Also change the instrument name and display.

changedsoul SourceForge

It seems I am not able to use a ccmx file? I edited a Spyder3 ccmx file, but when I tried to use it, it said “Selected colorimeter correction is not suitable for the selected instrument”

Opening up a ccss, seems this file is loaded with info crazy for me to edit.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

As I said, you need to change instrument & display in the CCMX as well.

changedsoul SourceForge

Thank you for responding back so quickly. I changed the instrument, and it allows me to select it now, but I am not sure what I need to change display to. Is there a list of options somewhere of what needs to be there? Without changing display, I get an error, Instrument access failed”.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I think that error is probably not because of the display string not matching. Please attach the CCMX file, I’ll have a look.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS