"Clone" mode shows wrong display in "Profile associations…"

Home Forums Help and Support "Clone" mode shows wrong display in "Profile associations…"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Monstieur
    Participant

I have created a profile for display 1, while display 2 (AV receiver) has the default sRGB profile. The profile associations work correctly when using the displays separately.

When using “Clone” mode from 1 to 2 for HDMI audio (so I don’t get stuttering on the desktop and G-SYNC backlight flickering due to mismatched refresh rates in “Extend” mode), Windows correctly shows “Display: 1|2 <Display 1>” and “Display: 1|2 <Display 2>” with their respective profiles. However “Profile associations…” shows “1. <Display 2>” and applies the sRGB calibration to display 1 (which is primary and the clone source).

Is there a way to force “Profile associations…” to detect the other “1|2” entry as primary? If I assign display 1’s profile in this state, it carries over to display 2 even in standalone mode resulting in incorrect calibration on display 2.

If I use the NVIDIA Control Panel to change the clone source from 2 to 1, “Profile associations…” now shows “1. <Display 1>”, but this is non-ideal and G-SYNC doesn’t work. The NVIDIA Control Panel also lists display 2 before display 1, but shows the correct number next to each.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Monstieur.

Monstieur
    Participant

madVR also thinks display 2 is active and applies the wrong 3DLUT. The only permanent solution is to somehow change the display enumeration order from the GPU.

Monstieur
    Participant

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Clone mode does not support maintaining profile associations under Windows, in clone mode the cloned displays are seen as one by Windows and the order is arbitrary (and also doesn’t matter). You have to use extended desktop if you want to maintain correct associations.

Monstieur
    Participant

It’s not just profile associations – the “Active” monitor is reported incorrectly to all applications. If there were some way to change the monitor enumeration order it would fix the problem since the order is fixed on my PC. The “Clone source” setting in NVCP changes the order reliably, but to the wrong monitor. MadVR, MonitorInfoViewer, and DisplayCal all see the same “Active” monitor based on “Clone source”.

Look  at the screenshots in the thread I linked above. It seems the GPU always enumerates HDMI first regardless of physical connection order. But with two DisplayPort monitors, swapping the cables changes the enumeration order. This order has nothing to do with the display identification number in Windows.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Monstieur.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It’s not just profile associations – the “Active” monitor is reported incorrectly to all applications.

No. The active display is always the one with the DISPLAY_DEVICE_ACTIVE flag set. Many applications actually get this wrong because they assume there can only be one display per output, which isn’t necessarily the case.

Look at the screenshots in the thread I linked above. It seems the GPU always enumerates HDMI first regardless of physical connection order.

Again, the order doesn’t matter. The numbers are just a visual help for users to identify which is which. I could swap the numbers around and it wouldn’t change anything.

Monstieur
    Participant

So in clone mode both displays have the active flag set?

What is happening when I change “Clone source” that makes applications show the other display?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So in clone mode both displays have the active flag set?

Yes.

Monstieur
    Participant

Why does “Profile associations…” show only one display then? And that display changes based on “Clone source”.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Because that’s how Windows works in clone mode. All displays are seen as one.

Monstieur
    Participant

So on what basis is madVR bolding one of the display entries in clone mode? And how is the “Clone source” affecting this?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Basically, it doesn’t really matter.

Monstieur
    Participant

What about use cases other than colour management? What if an application needs to enumerate or set resolutions & refresh rates? They are also broken because you can only set the resolution & refresh rate on the clone source and they see the wrong display.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Possibly.

Monstieur
    Participant

Possibly.

madVR’s “Display modes” and 3D LUT are not applied because it thinks the wrong display is active. Changing the “Clone source” fixes it, but is obviously wrong and breaks G-SYNC.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS