Checking Simulation profile in the Verification gives me Low Contrast

Home Forums Help and Support Checking Simulation profile in the Verification gives me Low Contrast

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Nicola
    Participant

Hello, I’ve been looking at many discussions here in the past month and I think you are awesome, I learned a lot but there are still many things that I don’t quite understand since I’m new to profiling and calibrations.

I have an X-Rite i1Display Pro OEM (should be the same as Pro Plus) and a ColorMunki Photo to create matrix corrections. What I need to calibrate/profile are an Intel MacBook 16″ and a new LG 27UP850-W that supports hardware calibration. I will mainly use them for content consumption because I’m not an artist.

My calibration settings are 6504k, 100nits and a relative gamma of 2.4 (I want it accurate for a dark viewing environment) with black output offset of 100%. In profiling I select single curve + matrix and black point compensation.

My problem is that I don’t understand how set the verification properly:
    When I do a verification for my LG monitor, if I check simulation profile (“use simulation profile as display profile” is unchecked), selecting Rec709 or Display P3 with a custom gamma of 2.4 like the calibration settings, the report says I have a contrast ratio of just 650; if instead I uncheck simulation profile or if I choose tone curve unmodified, the contrast ratio goes to 1190.

In the reports I noticed that checking simulation profile with a custom gamma 2.4, the white point near black is closer to reference at 7000k maximum, while by either unchecking  simulation profile or by selecting tone curve unmodified, the white point near black is higher, to 9000k or 11000k.

My question is:
    When I watch a video on YouTube, Netflix (on Safari) or VLC, using the ICC profile generated with the settings above, will the contrast ratio be 1200 at the expanse of having a 10000k white point near black or will I have a worst contrast ratio of 650 but with a better and more consistent white point all the way down to black?

• This topic was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Nicola.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon   Calibrite ColorChecker Studio on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Safari

My calibration settings are 6504k, 100nits and a relative gamma of 2.4 (I want it accurate for a dark viewing environment) with black output offset of 100%. In profiling I select single curve + matrix and black point compensation.

Useless in a color managed desktop like macOS. Whatever you put will be undone by color management engine.
    Set the closest to native which should be close to gamma 2.2 or sRGB TRC.

My question is:
    When I watch a video on YouTube, Netflix (on Safari) or VLC, using the ICC profile generated with the settings above, will the contrast ratio be 1200 at the expanse of having a 10000k white point near black or will I have a worst contrast ratio of 650 but with a better and more consistent white point all the way down to black?

Safari uses the faulty/limited color management engine provided by macOS, hence you should stick to default profile type with idealized (maybe false) near black behaviour. Hence for Safai black display is idealized “black” even if it is not and you’ll keep your contrast value

IDNK VLC color managed capabilities, AFAIK none. Try MPV.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Vincent.

Nicola
    Participant

Hi Vincent, thank you for the reply, I can even use Firefox or Chrome if they are any better. As an alternative to VLC I read that IINA supports 3D LUT filters but I will look into that after I’m done with this single curve + matrix profile.

On the LG monitor I used the gamma setting which is closer to 2.4, I tried the hardware calibration with LG Calibration Studio but isn’t very powerful from what I’ve seen.

Anyway I’m more interested about contrast:

Using both the faulty OS color management and a better color managed App with the profile I generated, will I get a contrast ratio of 1200 or 650?

What are the correct verification settings I should use to check this? I think I should uncheck Simulation profile but I’m not sure.

If I go on Tools > Report on calibrated display device, I also get a contrast ratio of 1200 but I don’t know if this only check the GPU calibration or also the ICC profile.

Vincent
    Participant

LG software lacked of proper EDR (“CCSS”) for widegamut models. You may try to correct it “forging” an EDR, see Midas’ thread on CS2731.

1200:1 even if app does not support black point compensation. The idealized profile required by macOS stores infinite contrast.

No simulation to verify overall performnce using color management.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS