CG2420 calibration, some help?

Home Forums Help and Support CG2420 calibration, some help?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Michele
    Participant

Hi!

Thank you for this great piece of software. I have been reading about calibration for a while, but I still have to learn a lot. A huge lot.

I am calibrating an Eizo CG2420 with i1display pro through UltraStudio Mini Monitor and patching with Resolve. I have followed the neat and clear Florian Höch’s guide, but I must be doing something wrong.

DISPLAY  & INSTRUMENT tab
    Settings: Video 3D LUT for Resolve (D65, Rec.709 / Rec. 1886)
    Display: Resolve
    Instrument: i1display Pro
    Mode: Refresh (generic)
    Output levels: Auto
    Correction: Spectral LCD PFS Phosphor WLED IPS (HP Dreamcolor Z24x)
    Flags not mentioned are left unchecked

CALIBRATION tab
    Left as is

PROFILING tab
    Auto-optimized, 1553 patches

Attached you can see the result. Any idea of what am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

The main issue can be tint in greys, check if that is visually noticeable. If you choose “RGB + grey balance” in upper combo in report you may see more info regarding this.

As a possible solution try to use ColorNavigator
    -at your desired white level & white point
    -at your desired gamma
    -at native gamut
    then make Resolve LUT3D in DisplayCAL like you did.
    It would be wise to test grey after Colornavigator calibration before starting Resolve stuff. If is not as good as you may want try to select Standard or Greyscale priority in Colornavigator.

Also you can test your current grey ramp without Resolve LUT3D, maybe the issue can be in LUT3D data and not related to monitor internal calibration. A CG is expected to behave better, at least after ColorNavigator calibration and I would say out of the box too.

Michele
    Participant

Hi Vincent,
    Thank you for the reply. I knew learning how to calibrate is not easy, help is sincerely appreciated.

Greys were noticeably off, you are right. Keeping an eye on them.

I forgot to say that I keep CG2420 set to 6500K – Native gamut – gamma 2.2 – 100cd/m2 -Input: Limited.
    There are two settings which I am not sure of:
    – Input range: limited, limited (109%white), Full. I am using Limited.
    – The “data level” thing I have read here and there on forums. I suppose it is the same thing as input range, but I am not sure.

I tried a new cal with CG247x’s CCSS data I found here on the forum, grey seems improved although I am not sure these things are correlated.

Before calibration DisplayCal asks me to set white point through monitor’s gain controls, and I can get good results. Unfortunately in the next passage, I can’t manually adjust black point / black level adjustment: I can’t find any offset control on CG2420 (see attached screenshot).

Attached you can see two reports: without any lut applied, and with calibration lut applied. Any suggestion is appreciated!

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Skip black point adjustment on LCDs.

Michele
    Participant

Skip black point adjustment on LCDs.

Now I can skip it without fear. Thank you, Florian.

Michele
    Participant

I am attaching the settings I’m using in DisplayCal, maybe you can spot something I can’t see.

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Greys were noticeably off, you are right. Keeping an eye on them.

I forgot to say that I keep CG2420 set to 6500K – Native gamut – gamma 2.2 – 100cd/m2 -Input: Limited.
    There are two settings which I am not sure of:
    – Input range: limited, limited (109%white), Full. I am using Limited.
    – The “data level” thing I have read here and there on forums. I suppose it is the same thing as input range, but I am not sure.

I tried a new cal with CG247x’s CCSS data I found here on the forum, grey seems improved although I am not sure these things are correlated.

Before calibration DisplayCal asks me to set white point through monitor’s gain controls, and I can get good results. Unfortunately in the next passage, I can’t manually adjust black point / black level adjustment: I can’t find any offset control on CG2420 (see attached screenshot).

1- ColorNavigation (you can use your i1displaypro) @ native gamut and your desired white/gamma etc

2-Check if it’s OK on greys, just validate ColorNavigator ICCv2 profile. Do not apply device link or simulation profile, just validate standard vanilla 1TRC + matrix profile from CN

3-DisplayCAL for resolve like you did

Attached you can see two reports: without any lut applied, and with calibration lut applied. Any suggestion is appreciated!

2 reports use device link (applied equivalent to a LUT3D applied), hence we do not know if CG2420 out of Resolve has a neutral grey or not (step “zero” in previous TODO list)

Default HP Z24x CCSS should work unless some kind or blue led placed on shorter/longer wavelegths and ussually it only means a slight differences in measured WP, not different greys

Michele
    Participant

2-Check if it’s OK on greys, just validate ColorNavigator ICCv2 profile. Do not apply device link or simulation profile, just validate standard vanilla 1TRC + matrix profile from CN

Are you referring to ColorNavigator NX? Unfortunately I am stuck on Catalina (MBP16), which doesn’t support it. I am using CN7 and  Do you know if there are other workarounds?

2 reports use device link

I have tried a verification with “Device link profile” box unchecked (see attachment). Also found an instructive post here. Funnily, everything that was right now is wrong and vice-versa. I will keep trying until I get it right.

Every bit of knowledge is appreciated.

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Are you referring to ColorNavigator NX? Unfortunately I am stuck on Catalina (MBP16), which doesn’t support it. I am using CN7 and  Do you know if there are other workarounds?

I mean CN7. Use it, D65, native gamut, X nits, whatever gamma you need etc.  Then check if all went OK (answer bellow). Then DisplayCAL for Resolve.

2 reports use device link

I have tried a verification with “Device link profile” box unchecked (see attachment). Also found an instructive post here. Funnily, everything that was right now is wrong and vice-versa. I will keep trying until I get it right.

Every bit of knowledge is appreciated.

Because you are not verifying what I asked. You are verifying if a native gamut calibration (or factory calibration) matches Rec709… which is obvious that does not match. You should verify (with a lot of greys) if displasy matches its profile (the one made by CN7, best if ICCv2), then ignore all results but grey & grey range. If display (its HW calibration) is OK, then the grey coloration you see (and report sees too) should be caused by Resolve LUT3D. Ince you have this confirmation you can try other things  but try fits if there is an issue in monitor not correctable by its HW.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Vincent.

Michele
    Participant

You are verifying if a native gamut calibration (or factory calibration) matches Rec709… which is obvious that does not match

You are right! But  I have forgot to mention that whenever I execute a verification, I put the DisplayCalc calibration rec.709 3D LUT in Resolve’s Monitor LUT, so I expect it to be a legit verification. Am I wrong? I should have said that in the first place, oops.

Tomorrow I will dig in CN7 manual, and (hopefully) learn how to properly export an ICCv2. Then I will run a Verification test to see if the ICC matches the display in its native state (grey range only).

I will keep you updated.

Vincent
    Participant

You are verifying if a native gamut calibration (or factory calibration) matches Rec709… which is obvious that does not match

You are right! But  I have forgot to mention that whenever I execute a verification, I put the DisplayCalc calibration rec.709 3D LUT in Resolve’s Monitor LUT, so I expect it to be a legit verification. Am I wrong? I should have said that in the first place, oops.

You verify Resolve LUT 3D through equivalent data in device link profile. No device link profile, no LUT3D to verify.

Hence let’s see first how that CG behaves at native gamut calibration and if the grey tint you see visually and numerically in report is in monitor or is a result of resolve LUT3D.
    A CG should have visually neutral grey out of the box or calibrated with CN in a non color managed enviroment, like for example a black to white gradient in MS Paint (GIMP or Photoshop can suffer from rounding error & truncation because color management so you want to check this on a non color managed enviroment). You pay the price of a CG for that: suberb color uniformity, higher contrast than typical 1000:1 IPS and a reliable lut-matrix HW cal. If it is not working and you see color tint in MS Paint opening a gradient like lagom’s gradient I would consider returning that unit to the store even if configuring a slower speed in calibration tab for Resolve LUT3D fixes your issue.

Michele
    Participant

Hence let’s see first how that CG behaves at native gamut calibration

Ok, let’s start from there. Thank you for your patience.

I have connected the display via BM UltraStudio, calibrated and verified through CN7, see results attached. Greys are visibly better with no 3DL+DaVinci involved.

Will keep you updated.

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

That is a CN report… not a DisplayCAL report, so we do not know what is happening beyond your visual confirmation of better greys (did you try in MS paint with a gradient like lagom’s ?)

Just verify resulting CN profile with DisplayCAL, all defaults in verification tab, no simulation profile, nothing checked, just choose a testchart. It woul validate if profile and display match. Also keep in mind to use a CCSS correction for every measure you do.
    DisplayCAL and CN “may not agree” in whitepoint. That’s secondary.

If grey is OK in monitor, then do Resolve LUT3D like you did and check it with profile link.

Michele
    Participant

(did you try in MS paint with a gradient like lagom’s ?)

Tried a gradient with Pixelmator as I am on Mac (unfortunately). It looked ok.

Just verify resulting CN profile with DisplayCAL

Ok, so now I am running Calibrate & Profile from DisplayCalc, with my monitor set on CN7 calibrated slot, patches running through MiniMonitor+DaVinci (no LUT applied). I can’t do any gain adjustment, so I leave the white point as is.
    At the end of the process, I will validate with nothing checked.

Hope I got it right.

Vincent
    Participant

Just verify resulting CN profile with DisplayCAL

Ok, so now I am running Calibrate & Profile from DisplayCalc, with my monitor set on CN7 calibrated slot, patches running through MiniMonitor+DaVinci (no LUT applied). I can’t do any gain adjustment, so I leave the white point as is.

Why? Why do you want to calibrate grey using GPU and then make a new profilw insted of just verify ICC v2 profile from CN that is very likely to be active as default display profile on OS?

Just verify it, the one from CN but verified with DisplayCAL. Less than 5 min even with hundred of patches verification.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Vincent.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS