Calibrating Monitor Questions

Home Forums General Discussion Calibrating Monitor Questions

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

anaheimDavid
    Participant

I followed your advice and got much better results, thank you. I posted the results below.

I know this may not be the place, but do you know if I’d need to  do a similar correction when using i1Profiler? We have 10 computers in the office. 8 Macs and 2 PC’s. The PC’s are for more color critical work, but we still wanted the Macs to have some level of accuracy. I decided to simply use i1Profiler to calibrate all the Macs (for ease and time just to get something decent), and use DisplayCal with DWM_LUT for the PCs. However, I had the same issues on the Macs that I did with my PC, where the color temperature was initially at 6800 (even our ProArt Monitors which come with a Calman certificate from the factory). And when i did a Quality check in i1Profiler afterwards on one of the computers, I also didn’t get the greatest results. I would assume that i1Profiler would have their own corrections already, In the software, I did select the type of monitor I was using before profiling. Or maybe that’s just the limitations of the software?

Still, the fact that all 10 monitors all started at 6800 exactly seems so suspicious to me. Different monitors on Mac and PC, using both Displaycal and i1Profiler. In your opinion how likely is that to be an issue with the colorimeter? I’m thinking I may want to buy a new one just to double check results and see if they match up. This one is about a year old, I keep it in the box, but it’s possible it was damaged. Sounds cheaper than the other options you mentioned above. Not sure if you have some advice in this matter on what you would do.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

i1Profiler/ccProfiler uses a subset of CCSS present in DisplayCAL  but in binary EDR format. You can choose then bellow display name/serial in a combo box.

It lacks of corrections for Apple P3 screens (a variant of i1Profiler PFS phopsphor with different green), PFS phosphors with AdobeRGB coverage (same as apple a different green), QLEDs, a separate cleaned GB-LED, WOLEDs and some older or discontinued backlights.

So… you can do the same on i1Profiler for your PA279CV (White LED=WLEDFamily_07Feb11) but won’t be able to do the same for others not supported by i1Profiler.
    BUT….you may choose some unused EDR in i1Profiler, like RGBLED or proyector and then copy your unsupported spectral data from a CCSS then convert to EDR with a python tool called ccss2edr. Then replace the forged EDR and select it iun i1Profiler. Not a task for begginers but can be done.
    Search here for a thread about an Eizo CS2731 (Midas was the user).

Regarding all other subjects:
    -no suitable correction = no accuracy (unless by chance some requirements are met and you cannot control them)
    -factory calibration = meaningless marketing. usually they aim for a mean error less than X. A mean can be low but white error can be high
    -CCT , color correlated temperature is meaningless to address a white. 6800K means nothing, you may get a hint about how blue or yelloe, but you know nothing about green or pink tint.

anaheimDavid
    Participant

Thank you for all your help and information.

It’s crazy, I google things so much to learn more about monitor calibration, and I feel like I just get the same basic info over and over. I’m sure there’s tons of great knowledge in these forums, but I have no idea what to search for, or what I don’t even realize I need to learn. Do you know if there’s an individual or company around LA I could hire to come in for a few hours and help us set up our calibration process in the best manor for our studio? I just want to make sure that we’re actually doing things correctly. I’ve been calibrating my own stuff for years, and it feels like every year I learn something new about how I wasn’t quite doing it right. The results were good enough where I didn’t realize they were off. Looked good on other displays and theater screens. But still, I sense there’s so much more I’m missing, and I want to learn.

Would you recommend just taking the time and using displaycal on all the macs as well then? Some have the asus proart monitors, is there a displaycal correction for the iMac Pro p3 monitors? I’ll be doing everything with the video D65 1886 settings.

Vincent
    Participant

Thank you for all your help and information.

It’s crazy, I google things so much to learn more about monitor calibration, and I feel like I just get the same basic info over and over. I’m sure there’s tons of great knowledge in these forums, but I have no idea what to search for, or what I don’t even realize I need to learn. Do you know if there’s an individual or company around LA I could hire to come in for a few hours and help us set up our calibration process in the best manor for our studio? I just want to make sure that we’re actually doing things correctly. I’ve been calibrating my own stuff for years, and it feels like every year I learn something new about how I wasn’t quite doing it right. The results were good enough where I didn’t realize they were off. Looked good on other displays and theater screens. But still, I sense there’s so much more I’m missing, and I want to learn.

Ask in AVSForums / Display Calibration , more oriented to TV ISF but there should be people that do what you ask

…but using DisplayCAL with proper correction fro an i1d3 is a pretty straight forward process.

Would you recommend just taking the time and using displaycal on all the macs as well then?

Newer XDR screens have some built in calibration capabilities, they just need to give them a true reference of measured white… and you can measure it with DIsplayCAL.

Old non XDR are like laptops regarding calibration including iMacs & cinema displays, same limitations due to “no OSD” policy. Also OS is very limited to certain profile types. Stick to defaults on DisplayCAL.

Some have the asus proart monitors, is there a displaycal correction for the iMac Pro p3 monitors?

Yes,all Apple P3 use the same modified WLED PFS backlight. Choose P3 macbook retina correction in the i1d3 bundle for DisplayCAL. Same for all P3 macs.

I’ll be doing everything with the video D65 1886 settings.

IPS with CR 1000:1 is not very suited for Rec1886 due its “low” contrast, maybe you wish 2.4 gamma relative.
    Lift Gamma Gain is another forum more oriented to video editon & colorist. Make LUT3D for resolve with DIsplayCAL and such things. Take a look there.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

anaheimDavid
    Participant

Thank you so much for all the advice. I really appreciate it.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS