Calibrating for Resolve and Game Dev

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrating for Resolve and Game Dev

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

JJ La Britt
    Participant

Hey all! Long time lurker, first time caller!

So I was wondering the process to calibrate my new monitor correctly. I just an Asus PA32UC (as did our senior editor) and I need to set it up for color grading in Resolve (sometimes Premiere), cinematic work within our game engine, and photoshop work on game captures and the occasional photography. All the work we do now is for web and as of now  we will not be doing an HDR workflow, although that’s coming in the future. The monitor will be part of the desktop. This is my first monitor with gamma control and other fine tuning options. I believe the monitor also accepts 14-bit LUTs thru the Asus software. I have an Xrite i1 Display as well.

I have been using DisplayCal for a while, but I haven’t done any advanced calibration. I know there’s the Resolve guide, but Resolve is 70% of reason behind a better calibration. If anyone could help out with the more advanced calibration , even just pointing me towards to some links, that would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by JJ La Britt.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

DisplayCAL cannot access internal HW LUTs of monitors directly. As long as you’re using color managed applications, you’re all set. Resolve has only limited support for ICC profiles under macOS, and none under Windows, so you’ll need to use a 3D LUT there.

JJ La Britt
    Participant

So if follow the ‘3D LUT creation workflow for Resolve’ and do the GUI colorviewer section wiki I should be good covered for Resolve and color managed apps?

Do I leave my monitor on the default profile or should I set it sRGB since everything I do is for web? Should I change the gamma of my monitor?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If you are mainly working in sRGB, use the standalone 3D LUT maker to create an appropriate 3D LUT for Resolve.

Whether or not to limit the native monitor gamut to sRGB on the monitor itself depends on if you work exclusively color-managed (in which case native gamut provides most accurate profiling results) or not.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS