Calibrating Dell U2410 and U2414H using Colormunki Display

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrating Dell U2410 and U2414H using Colormunki Display

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

tox1c90
    Participant

Hi!

I’m new to display calibration and bought and X-Rite Colormunki Display for calibration and profiling of my Dell U2410 and U2414h. I directly started using Displaycal and not the original software that came with the Colormunki, so I just plugged it in and let Displaycal download the colorimeter corrections.

I calibrated both monitors to D65 Gamma 2.2, using the CCFL Wide Gamut IPS correction for U2410 and White LED for U2414H.
    The U2414H was in custom mode and I got to the desired white point by changing the OSD controls to R=100, G=100, B=98. Problem with this monitor: After calibration, colors look fine (judging by eye), but the SRGB coverage is only 88%, which seems rather bad because the monitor is advertized by Dell to achieve 96% SRGB.

Because I want to do everything in SRGB, the U2410 was set to its SRGB emulation preset. I followed an advice from some guys in the Dell forum and used the factory menu for OSD adjustment of the white point (because usually SRGB preset doesn’t offer RGB sliders). Problem here: The monitor is ~6 years old and it seems like the CCFL backlight has somehow aged. Almost every color has a slight yellowish tint which wasn’t the case when I bought the monitor (the pre-calibrated SRGB preset was nearly perfect at this time).
    So Displaycal wants me to reduce the R-slider quite a lot to get back to the desired white point. After doing this, pure white looks good again, BUT especially blue colors like in the default Windows 10 desktop wallpaper still look cyanish because of the yellowish tint.
    And it looks like the SRGB coverage is suffering a lot because the monitor achieves only 94% SRGB after calibration, which is bad because it’s supposed to do 100%.

So when you look at both monitors side by side at the Windows desktop wallpaper, you still see a clear difference after calibration, U2410 more cyan, U2414h more like real blue tones (which it is supposed to look like I think).

I tried calibrating to 5700k as well, which makes the monitors more look alike, but still clearly distinguishable. So is there anything I did wrong? Is there something I can do to address this yellowish tint, or is this just an aging effect of the backlight which I cant solve? So that my U2410 is just not able anymore to achieve 6500K?

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Because I want to do everything in SRGB, the U2410 was set to its SRGB emulation preset.

As long as you work in color managed applications there is no need for that. Check if AdobeRGB or Standard OSD is closer to your target.
    This monitor had a Custom Color mode but users reported bad behaviour when tweaking RGB levels at OSD (no factory menu), try that too.

And it looks like the SRGB coverage is suffering a lot because the monitor achieves only 94% SRGB after calibration, which is bad because it’s supposed to do 100%.

XXXXX gamut coverage in percent values is just an intersection with monitors native gamut.
    sRGB mode is just a LUT-matrix/LUT3D calibration stored in firmware at factory time. It could be not accurate right now. Use full native gamut and color managed applications if possible.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Vincent.

tox1c90
    Participant

Ok, thank you. I will see what I get when I calibrate&profile the monitor in normal (wide gamut) mode. It’s a shame that Windows doesn’t have full ICC support for desktop and a possibility to force it on applications that doesn’t have color management by itself… Looking at all these unmanaged stuff in wide gamut mode just hurts my eyes.

One more question: I noticed that the U2414h shows a strange Gamma drop at 95% (see attached report). Is this something I should care about or is it some extreme value that can be ignored? I understand that Gamma isn’t that important for color managed applications, but for unmanaged stuff it is better to stay close to the target, right?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by tox1c90.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Yes, it’s a little bit brighter, but maybe it’s the kind of correction needed in graphic card’s LUT to keep grey neutral at the control grey point near 242 when calibration was done.
    No way to know it…

IMHO not a reason to worry when you have some OOG colors at the same time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS