Calibrating a BenQ PD3200U

Home Forums General Discussion Calibrating a BenQ PD3200U

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Limit Tester
    Participant

Hi, this is my first time downloading DisplayCal and want a walk-through on what settings to use when calibrating a BenQ PD3200U with a Spyder5. Thank you.

markvvaals
    Participant

Hardware Unboxed just put out a pretty good video about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2nVNxx1IHo
    I believe you will have to install additional drivers for the Spyder5 as eh mentions at about 8:30 in that video.

Change the following settings in DisplayCAL:
    – Settings bar at the top –> sRGB (this will change to the calibrated .icm profile once done)
    – Display –> BenQ PD3200U
    – Correction –> Spectral: LDC White LED family

Click button at the bottom to start the process, mount the Spyder5 (lean monitor back so it can lean on there) and press Start measurement.
    Some colow swatches apear and after a few seconds you’re able to press Start Measurement again in the black DisplayCAL window. Another few seconds later you’ll get the RGB bars and luminence readings.

Now you’ll go into the monitor settings of your PD3200U and change:
    – Picture Advanced –> Display Mode –> “User”
    – Picture –> Color Temperature –> “User Define” (only available in Display Mode “User”)
    – Change RGB values down from 100 to get the RGB bars in the DisplayCAL window centered and the text below gets a check mark.
    – Picture –> Brightness
    – Change value so you get a comfortable brightness, setting this to 21/22 should get you a reading of 120 cd/m2 under Current in the DisplayCAL window which is a good starting point

Click Stop measurement and then Continue on to calibration.
    Now just wait for the DisplayCAL to finish the calibration process (can be a few minutes but also closer to half an hour or even more).

When it’s done, you can check and uncheck Preview calibration to see a before/after difference.
    Make sure you select install as system default and then Install profile to actually start using it.

Hope this helps.
    Let me know if there is anything else I can help with, good luck.

Alex Dogum
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m new here – I am also calibrating a BenQ PD3200U as well as a Alienware AW2518H – I don’t expect to get much color calibration benefit from the Alienware however I did want to perfect my PD3200U even though the colors were great out of the box. I got checkmarks on the pre-cal screen with the RGB and brightness perfectly aligned under USER MODE. It took about 30 minutes to complete both calibrations for each monitor. I also made sure to follow all other instructions before trying this for the 5th time.

I just wanted to share 2 things – The post calibration screen with the percentages for the color gamut and the image of the RGB graph output. I couldn’t figure out how to get that advanced report others have been posting for feedback. Looking to know whether achieving over 100% of sRGB is supposed to b possible/normal, and making sure I did my calibration correctly. I did follow some of the advice from this post here. Thank you @markvvaals !

I was able to get both monitors close to 99% sRGB (one was over 100%). I’m happy with this. I’m at about 78% on both monitors for Adobe color profiles.

NOTE: I’m mostly a digital graphic designer, but of course, I do have a share of print projects as well. Should I be content with the sRGB stats I’m getting or should I go for more on the Adobe Gamut?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

markvvaals
    Participant

The percentages show the range, not accuracy. With my PD3200U I get very similar results as shown in the attached screenshot. There is no way to improve these numbers, they are what the monitor can achieve.
    Moreover, the numbers of coverage, not the accuracy of a monitor. The accuracy is commonly noted as Delta E and is what you want. For this the PD3200U is an excellent choice. Especially after calibration.

On the final screen, if you click the checkmark next to show profile information you get a more detailed result.
    This can also be shown after calibration by clicking the  first icon right of  the settings dropdown (i). See second attached screenshot. Make sure to select the calibration loaded to that monitor (usually the last date).

Pretty much everything is sRGB based and only niche things target Adobe Gamut. If this was you, you’d know. So don’t worry about these numbers. More coverage simply put, means more vibrant looking images on the screen, not more accurate colors.

Attachments:

Alex Dogum
    Participant

Thanks a lot for the quick response.

It’s nice we both got almost the same results. You managed to get 1-2% more in all sections however I think that’s not worth re calibrating on my end. I’ll stick with the results and ICM profile which was created yesterday.

BTW – I used a Spyder X Pro. What about you?

As far as delta values go for accuracy, what should I be striving for?

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Alex Dogum
    Participant

Here are my results for the extra information.

Attachments:

markvvaals
    Participant

Glad I could help.

I’m using a i1 Display Pro.

They say delta E values below 2 are pretty much unnoticeable. The value does vary throughout the color range and across grayscales. Not sure whether that information is possible to get from DisplayCal.

The big report you see in lots of review sites is with software that costs around $2000 so not viable for most people.

You do get an average and max delta E near the bottom of the profile info. My max delta E is also 1.2 something. That’s good and consistent with my results.

Alex Dogum
    Participant

Hi Marcvvaals,

I’m going to stick with the current calibration based on your reading of it. I thought it looked very similar to pre-calibration but the numbers showed a gain so I wanted to be sure.

One other thing that crossed my mind with this software is that, if it’s not open or running, it doesn’t apply the ICM profile ? If I run the program and click on “install profile” it enables the colors properly. Is this just it works? I was hoping I wouldn’t have to have this application reapplying the color state at all times of the day.

Pictures attached. Now that I have the profile updated, I don’t want to take the suggested approach from the Spyder application to reapply new or start new calibration at the end of the suggested specified times. I think that I will be better off if I just keep this profile for a while, but it seems I can’t do that without keeping the software installed/running at all times.

What’s your approach?

Attachments:

markvvaals
    Participant

Hey Alex,

The reason it looks very close to pre-calibration is because the PD3200U is already a very good and well calibrated display to start with. So this is just some fine-tuning really.
    However, try it with a crappy old display or TN panel laptop and the difference is often very big.

If you start the application itself it temporarily disables the profile. I assume because you don’t want the profile to be active when you re-calibrate for instance.

You can remove the Spyder application as DisplayCal is an alternative to the software provided with the calibration tool.
    You do need to keep DisplayCal installed and the Profile Loader needs to start at boot to keep the profile active. The application is very small and light-weight.

There is the option, after calibration is finished to uncheck “Load calibration at login […]” and check “Let the operating system handle […]” which will not require the Profile Loader and leave it to Windows or MacOS to handle the profile. I believe that, when left to the OS, the profile can be dropped by for instance a fullscreen application like a game and afterwards it is not re-applied.
    I don’t mind the Profile Loader and prefer to have it, making sure the profile is maintained.

Alex Dogum
    Participant

I don’t mind the Profile Loader and prefer to have it, making sure the profile is maintained.

I think I will do the same for now but now your suggestions make the logic of the application apparent. I think I gave access to the program to handle profile instead of OS which is why I asked this in the first place. Colors weren’t changing as I shifted around the list of profiles under the Windows Settings tabs.

With that being said, my hesitations to keeping this installed was since I started using the software/spyder pro, my system which is very new (custom built last summer) was having weird hang issues during restarts and boots. I’m just trying to clear up whether its due to the application or not.

markvvaals
    Participant

For me the program which controls the motherboard RGB was causing problems with a few other programs including DisplayCal. I have a Gigabyte board, but regardless, all this motherboard “utilities” software is crap. Very badly made and can cause many (unexpected) issues.

I suggest (setting up as wanted and then) removing these Asus/MSI/Gigabyte applications if you have these installed.

Alex Dogum
    Participant

You hit the nail on the head. So there were some blinking lights (the 4 lights near the ram) on my Asus z390e… I run 64 gb ram, i9900k, and decent 2070 founders edition card.

It might be software issues, since I have blinking lights I didn’t see before. Orange or Red I think when I really think I’ve seen just the white/green blink above those to LEDs. It’s something I should check, and probaby remove. I like to keep the iCUE color software, but remove the other Asus utilities. Their only benefit is to keep bios etc updated however I can always do this manually.

Vincent
    Participant

Glad I could help.

I’m using a i1 Display Pro.

They say delta E values below 2 are pretty much unnoticeable. The value does vary throughout the color range and across grayscales. Not sure whether that information is possible to get from DisplayCal.

The big report you see in lots of review sites is with software that costs around $2000 so not viable for most people.

DisplayCAL HTML report has an additional stat checkbox showing that greyscale error, including the range a key value, not available with that $2000 software AFAIK. There is a reason prad.de uses a software that behaved close to this argyllcms ecosystem even if it is not related. There are missing KEY data in all these calman-like screenshots form reviews. Useless most of them.
    DisplayCAL also can show a*b* errors in PCS realm or actual one so its very easy to spot neutral errors and “direction” on grey that a DeltaE value cannot achieve since it holds both color and luminance error in a single scalar number.

One thing is missing in displaycal, AFAIK, and it is validating current GPU calibration on a non color managed enviroment against some arbitrary profile/colorspace (exact profle match). DisplayCAL can do Calman-like verification ai amuch more detalied way on a non color managed enviroment  but testing factory or HW calibration by shoosing a simulation profile and mark it as display profile… but this wipes out GPU grey calibration.
    May be this is a very useful feature that future DisplayCAL versions should have with a chekbox that for example asks for keeping current GPU 1D calibration when doing a simulation profile + use simulation as display profile.

@fhoech

Alex Dogum
    Participant

Thanks to everyone replying to this thread.

Been enjoying the results which I’ve posted recently and havent changed anything since.

I had another question which I might be able to find if I searched the forum, or FAQs but does anyone know about changing a GPU? If I were to switch from my card to either an AMD card for design work, or upgrade to one of the newer Nvidia cards which will be better for my 4k display will I need to re-calibrate? I’d prefer not to only since it takes so long to do it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS