BT.1886 and Rec 709 2.4 Differences

Home Forums Help and Support BT.1886 and Rec 709 2.4 Differences

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Neil Briones
    Participant

Hey there, I recently calibrated my OLED display in BT.1886 using Calman and I must say I have nicer gradations in the black area.

I did some test gradings in Davinci Resolve and rendered it out in Rec 709 2.4 color space but I encountered some problems.

In my OLED monitor, everything looks nice since the display is almost zero black. However, when viewing it to my non-oled rec 709 2.4 displays, the gamma seems to be heavily lifted. It looks like it’s washed out.

Then I did some greyscale tone chart testing (just some random images on the web), I realized that BT.1886 doesn’t have enough shadow data on the deeper black areas.

at 0, 5, 10, 15 shades I’m no getting enough any more data in this area when calibrated at BT.1886

So I did some calibration tests again using displayCal by re-calibrating its setting instead from BT.1886 to Rec709 2.4 Gamma.

After the calibration, I can finally see the tone detail in the shadow area. However,

I would love to know if there’s a detailed explanation of this one. I’m no expert yet in calibration methods but I did some research that BT.1886 is supposedly Rec 709 2.4 Gamma? It should be the same right? Or nay?

I don’t understand why I’m seeing different results. I’m using Dell XPS OLED 7590 by the way. Could it be coming from Dell Monitor Displays?

Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Bt1886 is the same as pure power gamma 2.4 IFF, the display’s black point is zero, BT1886 is variable. If you calibrate your Oled to bt1886, it’s the same as PP2.4.

If you calibrate your IPS/TN/VA to bt1886, the gamma will be lifted, it won’t be 2.4 all the way across.

You can calibrate your IPS/TN/VA to Purepower 2.4 and it will look almost the same as oled for bright details, but dark shadow detail will eaten by the back light where the black point is higher than true black.

Depending on your target audience though, you may consider grading for non-true black displays

Vincent
    Participant

Measure both displays and provide actual data to see the amount and location of such differences, and ABL settings for each OLED displays

S Simeonov
    Participant

I think on an IPS monitor with contrast of 1000:1, is impossible to reach ppc 2.4 gamma…2.2 gamma is the right choice, 2.4 gamma will look dark.

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by S Simeonov.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS