Blacks calibrate as grays

Home Forums Help and Support Blacks calibrate as grays

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

rlwings SourceForge

Your welcome Joe… I’m glad that worked for you… Good luck with your calibrating… I’ve been using Dispcal for weeks now, calibrating over and over trying to figure it all out, which settings are best etc…It’s a lot to learn and I’ve been using Google and this forum quite a bit…I think I’m going to offer to write an instruction manual from the perspective of a novice… They overcomplicate it when it doesn’t need to be…Just a few simple settings such as RGB FullLimited, 6500K, 120 Bsrightness, at least 2000 patches in most cases…Don’t know why they don’t have a simple explanation in plain and articulate language…Not everybody is an engineer…But most people could benifit from this excellent program if they were just given clear organized and comprehensive laymen instruction…Would brodden ther usership base for sure if the word got out that all you need to do id get the Spyder 5 Express (Cheapest of the 3) Forget their Mickey Mouse software, and use Dispcal instead with funtionality that far surpasses even the more expensive Spyder5 Elite! (All Spyders use the same hardware…It’s the software that differe based on price.) And Dispcal is free!!

Peace

rlwings SourceForge

Oh yeah, and one more thing…This bit about having to download Argyll and then somehow associate it with Dispcal is freaggin’ rediculious! … Can’t they just consolidate everything needed into one installable package? … Instead of making me have to research what the heack is going on..(And I’m still not sure what’s going on.) Soo unnecessarily overecomplicated…Typical Engineer thinking…Completely oblivious to how ‘joe average’ might precieve this! … No wonder they are hurting for donations…They aren’t doing anything to target the masses…Where all the money is! … This thing could be a goldmine if it were handled properly.

Grrr! … Still need to learn more about other aspects of this program… Sure wish there was a organized, well thought out, common-man instruction manual that goes from point to point in creative everyday language complete with real world examples…I could explain to children what I have learned so far in a way that they could grasp it…Why can’t whoever is trying to make money from this hire someone to explain it to everyone else?

Communication skills are NOT Engineer’s strongpoints. 🙂

jhunt22 SourceForge

Great point! It’s true, it’s a powerful piece of software that’s simple over-complicated. I found the manual useless, just went at calibrating thru not easy to find guides. : If you do end up making a guide or something, that would definitely help some of the new people who get into this complicated world of calibrating.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Oh yeah, and one more thing…This bit about having to download Argyll and then somehow associate it with Dispcal is freaggin’ rediculious! … Can’t they just consolidate everything needed into one installable package?

Perhaps in the future.

They overcomplicate it when it doesn’t need to be

‘They’ is just a single person (me). And I don’t agree, 99% of users won’t need to change a thing, just leave everything at default and click “calibrate and profile”. That’s pretty simple in my opinion.

The problems usually start when people, against better judgement, enable the advanced options (which are normally hidden) and start playing around with them.
    This is powerful software, and it’s aimed at “enthusiast” users, while still being usable for the novice. Do you know which other software comes close? That’s right, none, unless you look at packages that cost several hundred to several thousand each (in some cases yearly). Because it is not easy to achieve at all, and needs a lunatic like me who is willing to pour ludicrous amounts of time and money into making it (nothwithstanding the development of Argyll CMS, which I’m not involved in and requires a similar commitment).

Soo unnecessarily overecomplicated…Typical Engineer thinking…Completely oblivious to how ‘joe average’ might precieve this!

I have a much better idea how the “average joe” might perceive this than you, because I have the necessary experience, knowledge and a broad view of the whole picture, which is something that casual observers lack.

I could explain to children what I have learned so far in a way that they could grasp it…

Let me look over it to correct mistakes and misconceptions if you really plan to do that.

Why can’t whoever is trying to make money from this hire someone to explain it to everyone else?

If you think I’m trying to make money off of this other than recouping costs for the instruments or other necessary expenses to support the development of the software itself, you are dearly mistaken. I would be bankrupt in a week if this would be the case. It is not even close to enough to think about hiring staff.

Communication skills are NOT Engineer’s strongpoints. 🙂

Don’t be so arrogant. Were you in my position, I can tell you right now you would not be able to even come close to do a job as good as mine, because the time and work commitment is just ridiculous. If it were so easy, other projects like this would already exist. But they don’t.

sucsss SourceForge

Hey, you’re doing awesome work. You’ve got the patience of a monk dealing with all these stupid questions.

don’t forget that most of us are totally fine with the software. It works great, does exactly what it’s supposed to do, and we don’t expect it to make crap hardware better.

(I may have double posted. something is screwy with my browser.)

rlwings SourceForge

If your so smart than why couldnt you solve Joe’s ‘gray’ problem in this post, but I the novice solved it right away? … It was obviously an RGB fulllimited issue but you couldnt see that…Why? … Because you were so overly focused on your program and it’s technical settings that it never occured to you that maybe a novice didn’t know to match the RGB range on all devices…This is why I know I could write a better manual that you…You have forgotten how the novice thinks.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It was obviously an RGB fulllimited issue but you couldnt see that

See my first post above. this was the first thing I suggested.

This is why I know I could write a better manual that you…You have forgotten how the novice thinks.

Then do it. Let’s see you walk the talk.

Besides, let me issue this warning: You are repeatedly violating this forums code of conduct. If you don’t refrain from doing so, you will be banned from further using it, and further postings from you will be deleted.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS