Blacks calibrate as grays

Home Forums Help and Support Blacks calibrate as grays

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

jhunt22 SourceForge

My blacks are too bright and it tries to bring out color out of what should be just black. Like a film of gray dust is on my screen, I can’t get rid of it anyhow.

I successfully calibrated my little monitor, but I’m having a really hard time calibrating my Seiki se50uy04. The colors calibrate at 95% to the sRGB, but my blacks are basically gone. I’ve tried every setting I could and re-calibrated with each one – maybe this is a rookie mistake? Before calibrating, I set the monitor colors to equal out as in the graph, as well as the whitepoint, and tried setting the black as well, I can’t seem to get my blacks back. It may help to note that with the colors balanced, to my eye the color is quite a bit off, not enough blues. Could it be that my led screen just can’t calibrate to anything better than gray blacks?

Using ColorMunki Display, ArgyllCMS, dispcalGUI.

• This topic was modified on 2015-12-17 10:34:36 by jhunt22.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

can you tell me a little more about your setup? This sounds like a levels scaling issue. What I’d like to know is:

• Operating system
    • Graphics card and settings
    • dispcalGUI settings (which preset if any, display device, measurement mode, colorimeter correction, calibration settings). You can click the small “archive” button next to the settings dropdown at the top to create a ZIP of the profile + related files and attach it.

Thanks.

jhunt22 SourceForge

Windows 8.1
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    7z profile attached

This one might be too warm, but it’s really hard to tell without proper blacks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

jhunt22 SourceForge

Here’s a curve profile also, this one isn’t warm and seems right to the naked eye other than it being too white/no blacks.

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Your brightness is very high at 267 and 285 cd/m2. For a dim to dark room, I would aim for 100-120 cd/m2.

jhunt22 SourceForge

120 is honestly what it looks like tho. I’m pretty confused cause calibrating with lower brightness the blacks get even lighter.. Is there a brightness level I can set in the program or something I can try?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

There’s nothing wrong with the calibration per se. The TV has a native gamma of around 3.0 near black which is way too high, so a 2.2 calibration will have much more shadow detail in comparison.

jhunt22 SourceForge

Hm makes sense.. Thank you
    Is there anything I can do?

Here’s a 120 cd profile. The darker the brightness, the lighter the blacks. I don’t get it.

• This reply was modified on 2015-12-18 06:46:59 by jhunt22.
    Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is the black level on your TV set correctly? You need to fix that before doing a calibration. It is very uncommon for a TV to show higher black floor at lower brighness compared to lower black floor at higher brightness, it is normally the other way around.

jhunt22 SourceForge

Blacks are very black, possibly too black, but once I calibrate blacks become washed out. I don’t see any black control on the tv, not even in the hidden advanced menu. I’m gonna have to try to take a picture to show.

jhunt22 SourceForge

Please see attached comparison photo.
    Notice also the IE window title bar shade and menu, background. Just awful and eye-hurting upon calibration. You can just imagine how photos look with gray blacks and then sudden black that’s either distorted/blocky or gets a dark shade into a color.

I just want my blacks normalized.. lol ugh! Anyone got any suggestions?

• This reply was modified on 2015-12-19 09:26:53 by jhunt22.
    Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I don’t see any black control on the tv, not even in the hidden advanced menu.

Sometimes on LCD TVs the black level is set by the “Brightness” control, and actual brightness (backlight) is set by the “Contrast” control. There may also be a separate backlight control.
    You’ll also want to disable any “dynamic” picture processing like dynamic dimming/contrast etc because it’lll interfere with calibration.

I’m gonna have to try to take a picture to show.

Photos will not help. Trying to use a photo of a display to show someone else how it looks is a futile undertaking.

Calibrated at 120 cd/m2 then increased to 242 cd/m2

Don’t do that. After calibration, picture settings must not be changed. Any change in picture settings requires re-calibration.
    Besides, why do you require such a high brightness? Is this TV in a bright room?

jhunt22 SourceForge

It’s increased to show that the darks become calibrated even lighter at darker tv settings.

You’re right, brightness is the black control! But once I decrease the brightness, the new calibration just makes the blacks gray again. So then, should I be lowering the brightness after calibration?? I haven’t tested yet but I would imagine that would mess with colors and possibly contrast. Really strange stuff.. my 22″ HannsG monitor calibrated just fine on first try with accurate blacks/grays.

Also, factory settings on this tv upon monitoring before calibration show that my blue is too high. So I adjust it and even out the colors – but then my screen is an odd orangeish tint. After calibration, it becomes more blue and normal but the dark/black colors are still odd colors. I’m starting to think it’s just not measuring the tv screen accurately somehow. Lens clean, leveled against tv.

rlwings SourceForge

Hey Joe… Try setting the TV AND the computer to rgb full or rgb limited on each…they must match for you to see the full range of light to dark…sounds like you’ve got a mismatch right now.

tv’s rgb full and rgb limited might be under the setting HDMI black level where ‘normal’ is full rgb and ‘low’ is limited rgb.

good luck….that was my problem with the blacks.

jhunt22 SourceForge

Thank you Randy! That was exactly the problem! 🙂
    My tv is limited while the pc had it as Full, by default.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS