Black output offset

Home Forums Help and Support Black output offset

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

iSeries
    Participant

Hi Florian

I guess this would be a feature request – was wondering if it is possible to implement more granular control over the black output offset. For example at 100% output offset I have a tiny amount of black crush, but at 99% it is raised too much and dark areas look quite a bit brighter, reducing contrast. I was wondering if you could implement .1 or .2 or even .5 increments in between each full percent. I think this could eliminate the tiny amount of black crush i’m seeing. I think HCFR can do .5 increments.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

this likely will not have the effect you’re hoping for, because the 1% increments are already only a fraction of the 3D LUT grid steps (i.e. 65) which are linearly interpolated by the consuming software/hardware (e.g. madVR). First test on the command line if such a change would actually make a difference in your situation.

iSeries
    Participant

Hi, could you guide me as to what would I add/change to the command line to accomplish this and how I would do this please? Sorry I only have experience with Displaycal and not with ArgyllCMS directly.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If you look at the log, you’ll see the collink commandline that is used. For output offset and gamma (e.g. 100% and 2.4 absolute), you’ll see a parameter -IB:1.0:2.4, the 1.0 in the example means 100% output offset, 99.5% in the same example would be -IB:0.995:2.4. You can add that parameter in the “Options” menu under “Advanced” -> “Additional command line parameters…” to override the setting on the 3D LUT tab.

iSeries
    Participant

That worked perfectly, thanks! What would be the command for hdr to sdr lut? That command gave me an error.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You can’t use the mentioned trick for HDR 3D LUTs, it should also be not needed as it only affects near black.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS