Best approach for calibrating a non-uniform screen?

Home Forums Help and Support Best approach for calibrating a non-uniform screen?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Ori Sagiv
    Participant

Hi,

No matter what I do, I can’t find a calibration that I’m happy with, something always seems off.
    I’ve measured the monitor’s uniformity and it definitely sucks, so that’s probably what bothers me so much. It is probably calibrated well only in a small area in the center of the screen.
    I’ve attached the uniformity report. Is there anyway to make this garbage monitor look better?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Ori Sagiv
    Participant

I also did a 5×5 uniformity test  of this garbage monitor now:

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

It’s very common that kind of uniformity issues in gaming 1xx Hz IPS screens. It’s not your situation but it’s also very common in “non premium” (not Eizo, not NEC) widegamut monitors.

It’s also very typical that if it’s an sRGB AHVA IPS-like panel it shows lower that 2.2 gamma out of the box.
    Edited for clarification: this means that if a game goes full screen and clear graphics card LUT data (reseting your custom calibration to linear) you’ll end with washed out dark greys in those games. Usually is easier to get a good one sRGB 60Hz screen (not bad uniformity, near 2.2 gamma and neutral grey) and for less money than a good one gaming 1xxHz IPS screen. Put all this info in a balance and choose what is better for you.

AFAIK you can do nothing unless you return it for refund and try again.

For calibrations where white point is too far from native white, like D50 white in those cheap widegamut monitors I’ve explained before, uniformity usually looks a little less bad near native white (closer to D65) than in D50.
    Maybe in these gamer monitors it could improve “a little” if you choose a cool white (~7000K? ) closer to native white… but this suggestion is just an extrapolation that may not hold for them.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Vincent.

Ori Sagiv
    Participant

I actually wanted to return it, but in my country you can’t return an electric product after you opened the case, and I did the mistake of buying it in a local store instead of Amazon. I’ve tried Asus support but they just took the monitor for a lab test and concluded that “There’s nothing wrong with it”, even though its gamma is 2.0, contrast ratio barely reaching 900:1 and the uniformity is also bad. They just refused to replace it.

I’m stuck with this monitor and hate it. I can’t enjoy games. Everything looks “so so” or off in this monitor, even after calibration, probably because of these uniformity issues.
    I can’t even sell it without feeling like a crook.

The native white of the screen indeed looks like a correct white, but it has migraine effects on me after looking at it for a while, so I think my best bet is to choose the warm preset, find the point in the screen where displaycal sees it as “green” 6500k, and calibrate from there. Then I’ll just  live with it until OLED monitors arrive to the market.

Vincent
    Participant

Asus used to have 2 “user” OSD modes with independent RGB gain & brightness settings. You can try a different calibration for each one:
    -One for a “non headache setup” of your choice for long sessions.
    -The other one with native or closest daylight white to native for “multimedia” purposes.

With DisplayCAL task app change between ICMs (calibration for ead mode) after you change OSD mode with monitor buttons.

Maybe your headache is because high luminance in cd/m2 in a dark room, try to lower it for cool whites near native white… but it is also possible thas as bightness control goes down from factory value uniformity goes down too.

Ori Sagiv
    Participant

Actually, I do the opposite – The brightness is turned down beyond what it’s supposed to be. turning the brightness up makes the colors pop a little bit more, but this monitor has such poor blacks, that shadows look grey. Even with brightness turned down to 120cdm (at the center) and presumably calibrated to the correct 2.2 gamma, blacks are not satisfying, not deep and actually are kind of not too dark grays.
    It looks like there is no way to get a satisfying balanced picture from this overly bright monitor and believe me, I’ve fiddled with it endlessly. Also, might I add – Its reds suck too. They are kind of washed out although displaycal report them as correct.
    All that’s left for me is to accept that mediocre picture and envy each time I use my cheap xiaomi phone how great games, pictures and videos look on it.

Vincent
    Participant

Also, might I add – Its reds suck too. They are kind of washed out although displaycal report them as correct.

DisplayCAL profile verification report just test if profile and monitor behavior “match”.  His/your/my monitor’s reds could be more or less “saturated” than sRGB/Rec709 red.

Profile information gamut 2D plot in a*b* could offer you a better understanding of how close is your gamut to sRGB.
    If red is more saturated color management comes to te rescue at the expense (in some applications) of some rounding errors: Firefox for browsing, PS for editing, madVR for movies/tvshows. For games maybe reshade but IDNK how to use it, I never used it.
    If monitor native red falls “inside” sRGB… ias as bad as it looks and cannot be improved.
    It would be very strange for a WLED AHVA/IPS desktop monitor in these days to be short of gamut. Typical 96-99% sRGB IPSs fall a little short in green (more saturated than sRGB green but moveed towards lime green, hence not 100% coverage) but they have a more saturated red than sRGB. A 2D a*b* plot with monitor and sRGB gamuts would clarifiy these questions to you.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Vincent.

Ori Sagiv
    Participant

My gamut is pretty much good  – 99+% of sRGB.
    The profile information looks pretty good, I’ll attach it.
    It could be that I’m used to more saturated reds, from past uncalibrated with colorimeter screens, I don’t really know..

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Red is more saturated than sRGB as expected from typical 99%sRGB WLED backlight.

Calibration cannot change color coordinates od RGB primaries unless monitor has some kind of LUT3D/Lut-matrix-lut capabilities or an equivalent 6-axis controls… so unless you had a monitor with a big gamut it is very difficult that you saw a more saturated red. Try to render a 255 sRGB red in a color managed app to see how it looks, maybe your previous monitor had a LESS saturated red instead, one not moved to a more saturated orange -red. Your screen is capable to show sRGB red but maybe with a little rounding errors depending on which application you use.

Ori Sagiv
    Participant

I accidently found a setting that seems to work for me, at least for media and games.
    I leave the color profile on – which corrects the bad low gamma, and use the sRGB preset on the monitor.
    The sRGB preset is pretty high on brightness, something like 180 cdm2 (It is locked for changes), and I believe it uses some high temperature too, but I don’t care.
    I’ve just played a game like that, and I was blown away how good it looks. Vivid colors at last!
    The game finally didn’t look as if I was playing it on an old TV from the eighties. The eyes burn a bit. but I can get used to it.
    I’m usually a guy who likes to follow the rules of “correct” and “accurate”, but this time I guess 6500k / 120cdm2 is not the right choice for me. At least not with this monitor.
    Thanks for taking the time helping me here, Vincent.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS