ASUS PA32UCX -3D LUT

Home Forums General Discussion ASUS PA32UCX -3D LUT

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Ramahi
    Participant

Hi everyone. Its my 1st time calibrating a monitor and i’m stuck with something that i cant seem to understand.

i started a calibration process and i created a 3D LUT. How can i upload that LUT to the monitor?
    maybe I’m missing something. But i’m sure my monitor accepts 3D LUT

thanks in advance

Vincent
    Participant

You need vendor propietary SDK to upload calibrations to monitor. ArgyllCMS/DisplayCAL do not provide that functionality

Ramahi
    Participant

Thanks for explaining Vincent,

any easy SDK you know about?

Vincent
    Participant

The one Asus licensed to LightIllusion… so you have to pay their software to upload calibrations. AFAIK there is no public SDK.

Ramahi
    Participant

I did buy it but i canceled it cause its only windows version.

ok 1 more question if you know the answer to.

i calibrated and let Davinci handle the LUT. Does it have the same outcome as uploading to the monitor directly?

Vincent
    Participant

i calibrated and let Davinci handle the LUT. Does it have the same outcome as uploading to the monitor directly?

Yes, as long as monitor is well behaved for such lut node size (and it should).

Run a verification report to check all is in place and load a grey gradient into resolve to spot banding.

As explained in other threads if you run a verification report through resolve where LUT3D is loaded, use simulation profile to your target and use simulation profile as display profile but do not use device link (equivalent to LUT3D) bacuse you’ll aply it twice.
    In the same way you may want to verify (GUI monitors) if device link in default desktop in your OS (monitor through common GPU) is a good LUT3D. In this situation you must choose device link too in measurement report since LUT3D (equivalent to) is going to be applied on desktop patches (it won’t go through resolve, just OS desktop).

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Vincent.

Ramahi
    Participant

Thats a very useful info thank you so much Vincent.

if you refer me to the explanation post you talked about it would be much appreciated!

Thanks again!

AstralStorm
    Participant

There’s no reason to calibrate that screen whatsoever, as it’s accurately calibrated out of the factory, especially in SDR.

Maybe something could be had in HDR mode, but calibrating that will be extra tricky.

Profiling, on the other hand, could be useful, as would emulation 3DLUTs for Resolve or mapping ones for games.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by AstralStorm.

Vincent
    Participant

There’s no reason to calibrate that screen whatsoever, as it’s accurately calibrated out of the factory, especially in SDR.

No, unless proven with measurements on a statistically big sample.

Profiling, on the other hand, could be useful, as would emulation 3DLUTs for Resolve or mapping ones for games.

Your sentence means that is is not calibrated accuratelly on SDR, otherwise it would match a matrix profile colorspace without issue <very low dE

Vincent
    Participant

BTW unfortunatelly guys at prad.de measured it with i1d3 corrected with RGBLED whie actually its like a low cost SW2700PT (a QLED like the one used in other Asus PG gaming series)
    That means that although prad.de shows WP calibration off in CCT and in pink-green tint, and gamma is a little off, we cannot know for sure.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

AstralStorm
    Participant

That is rather concerning, since the screen comes with a valid calibration certificate for SDR.

Matrix is insufficient for emulating gamma curves – you need matrix plus curve. Profiling is theoretically optional if you want to either run the emulation in HDR PQ mode and risk the backlight, or the SDR sRGB is convertible well enough (with good contrast) to gamma you want; but you still need to measure actual screen primaries, they’re not 100% matching reference samples. Whitepoint is nearly perfectly accurate D65 with minor delta towards blue near black as typical for LCDs.

That said, the screen LUTs extremely well in wide gamut SDR mode to anything you may want with a full profile. Like <0.5 dE well.

Personally, I would trust tftcentral with their Klein and i1Pro2 over prad.de, and I’ve seen two of those screens. They both were <1 dE in sRGB mode, a third one was <2 dE. The wide gamut is also excellent, even close enough to BT.2020 to do <3 dE even with the insufficient gamut.

Of course it is possible there may exist manufacturing fail samples.

AstralStorm
    Participant

*UPRTek now, even better.

AstralStorm
    Participant

3DLUT is needed if you want anything in HDR that is not straight PQ, as the backlight (and thus gamma) behaves a bit wrong if you just give it BT.2390 curve for example or use HLG mode.

Vincent
    Participant

That is rather concerning, since the screen comes with a valid calibration certificate for SDR.

That means nothing. Dell an Benq have those useless papers too and asus is waaaay worse in QC than them.

That said, the screen LUTs extremely well in wide gamut SDR mode to anything you may want with a full profile. Like <0.5 dE well.

No proof of that.

Personally, I would trust tftcentral with their Klein and i1Pro2 over prad.de, and I’ve seen two of those screens. They both were <1 dE in sRGB mode, a third one was <2 dE. The wide gamut is also excellent, even close enough to BT.2020 to do <3 dE even with the insufficient gamut.

No proof of your claims

Hint: it’s not about the LUTs, it’s about the panel, about QC which is non existent in Asus.

ALL -A-L-L- of these widegamut monitors (Eizo, NEC, Dell, LG Benq, Asus…) can calibrate greyscale perfectly, it’s a 1D 1024 entry for grey + LUT3d/matrix for colorspace emulation.  It’s about QC & time spent calibrating them  = number of patches used for calibration.
    The lesser the number of patches the more well behaved panel needs to be to keep errors uncer certaint mark. Worse behaved panels need more patches.
    That is the very reason ArgyllCMS (12+24+48+96 x channel) can correct grey on those lowcost widegamuts while their HW calibration solutions provided by vendor cannot do that on some (high % of units) because of low patch number (10 maybe 20, maybe a llittle more x WRGB).

Since prad.de shows >3dC even with UC on… Asus has NO QC at all but measured unit have very good grey range (well behaved gamma, bad color uniformity).

AstralStorm
    Participant

Very weird then that I have seen personally 3 units and they were all matching well calibrated. Way different SN too. Should I whip out my probe and drop you a measurement?

Of course it is possible that prad.de just got a lemon. It happened to me too with another monitor. Lemons are easily seen with naked eye with color gradient patterns, such as on lagom.
    They are even sometimes correct panels out of factory, but something goes wrong with assembly. (according to my aunt at a factory – they are forced to sell these lemons, they make TVs)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS