Apple Cinema Display 30" – Poor sRGB coverage

Home Forums Help and Support Apple Cinema Display 30" – Poor sRGB coverage

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jzer
    Participant

Hello,

I just purchased a Spyder5 and installed DisplayCAL to calibrate my ACD 30″. I know this screen is quite old already, bought back in 2007 I think. My results are quite poor so I want to know if the screen is bad or if I’m doing something wrong.

Gamut coverage sRGB 86%
    Gamut Volume 95%

Gamut is weak on the blue-violet spectrum.

How I calibrated:

I left white level drift compensation and black level drift compensation unchecked

Mode: LCD Generic

Correction: Auto (None)

Interative display adjustment checked

Whitepoint: As measured

White level: As measured

Tone curve: Gamma 2.2

Did I miss something or am I getting the right results?

Thanks in advance.

Jzer
    Participant

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

That is the correct measurement. These were all LG IPS panels w/ CCFL back in the day, Apple and Dell used them in their 30 Inch lines.  The backlight can only Hold the full spectrum for ~15000 hours, depending on how hot you ran it.  By about this point however, the blue spectrum starts to go and what you see is the result. The drawback is if you force it back towards 6500k, it will have to eat into the red and green gains to do it,  which would drop your contrast ratio to the 400-500:1 level, much lower than the native 700-800:1

Jzer
    Participant

That is the correct measurement. These were all LG IPS panels w/ CCFL back in the day, Apple and Dell used them in their 30 Inch lines.  The backlight can only Hold the full spectrum for ~15000 hours, depending on how hot you ran it.  By about this point however, the blue spectrum starts to go and what you see is the result. The drawback is if you force it back towards 6500k, it will have to eat into the red and green gains to do it,  which would drop your contrast ratio to the 400-500:1 level, much lower than the native 700-800:1

Thank you so much for your answer. Time to get a new display I guess!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS