Any suggestion on how to get a least-banding settings on a wcg monitor?

Home Forums Help and Support Any suggestion on how to get a least-banding settings on a wcg monitor?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

2 Deco
    Participant

Hi

My monitor is dell’s up2718q.  I’ve been using a nvidia gpu for a long while but I found the color banding caused by video lut was unbearable so recently I changed my graphic card to amd.

And my amd gpu seems working fine on video-lut. After calibrating using the default gamma 2.2 settings, I can see there is no banding at all from a non color management supportable software like windows edge. But when it comes to a color manageable software like chrome or older windows photoviewer,  the banding shows up again. I guess this is caused by profiling, right?

I did some online searching for this, and I learned that this is not a fault caused by calibration. It is caused by the color managing software itself when the handling accuracy is not sufficient or it does not dither. And this seems true because I find the photoshop can handle the color managing correctly and there isn’t as much banding as it in chrome.

The thing is I still need to use software like chrome, which handle things not well and may never improve their handling quality. So is there any way to set the calibration so I can get a least-banding profiling? As long as it is banding free, I can accept if the accuracy of it is not as well as the default setting.

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by 2 Deco.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by 2 Deco.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I did some online searching for this, and I learned that this is not a fault caused by calibration. It is caused by the color managing software itself when the handling accuracy is not sufficient or it does not dither.

Correct.

The thing is I still need to use software like chrome, which handle things not well and may never improve their handling quality. So is there any way to set the calibration so I can get a least-banding profiling?

There is a way to disable color management in Chrome, but you’ll have to search for it as I don’t have the link to hand.

Vincent
    Participant

The thing is I still need to use software like chrome, which handle things not well and may never improve their handling quality. So is there any way to set the calibration so I can get a least-banding profiling? As long as it is banding free, I can accept if the accuracy of it is not as well as the default setting.

Thanks.

UP2718Q, use DUCCS and calibrate to sRGB gamut (custom xy: sRGB gamut, D65, gamma 2.2) and choose matrix profile (close to single curve + matrix in DisplayCAL).
    Test if grey is OK. Not OK? Fix grey/white on GPU with DisplayCAL on top of your CALx, but choose single curve + matrix as profile. Grey sould be OK now (since you have that kind of GPU).

Test if Chrome/Firefox shows the same amount of bands as with the kind of profile you used when you wrote this thread.
    Still banding caused by color management? Try what florian suggests, color management off in chrome or FF.

If you are worried about “colored bands” in Photoshop try to turn down performance to basic, so GPU does not handle that. Restart Photohop.

If it does not improve as much as you want try a single curve + matrix profile (with or without calibrating grey in GPU). It won’t fix bands when there is a profile TRC mismatch between 2 colorspaces (image&monitor, at least for 8bit/channel files)… but bands should be neutral, not green-red colored.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Vincent.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS