3D lut creation settings confusion

Home Forums General Discussion 3D lut creation settings confusion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Jaroslavas Macko
    Participant

Hi,
    i have old plasma Pioneer Kuro LX 5090.My purpose is to watch movies from laptop,the laptop igpu is intel HD graphics 620.I want to create 3d lut profile with madvr.Simple question:
    The TV supports full RGB,the graphic card settings is full RGB as well,madvr again full rgb looks everything is matched.But the 3d lut only work with TV16-235.A bit of confusion here,so do i change all my settings to TV 16-235 because of 3D lut limited range or it is independed?How can i set up everything in the right way?Thank you

Florian Höch
    Administrator

No, the 3D LUT encoding generally has nothing to do with output range.

Jaroslavas Macko
    Participant

Thank you.And what about correct output settings?I tried every combination and it looks like to setup everything to 16-235 for video is the best picture,the best black.I tried igpu with 0-255,overall it is ok but black crushed,no details,16-235 much better look.So looks for playing full hd video files 16-235 settings are the best .And one more question : i have Spears&Munsil calibration disk image and i’m playing it with PowerDVD but i cannot find in PowerDVD settings any rgb output who knows what color range output it has?Because when i setup gpu to 0-255 and tv,madvr to 16-235 and play Spears&Munsil disk with PowerDVD it just crash black,cannot calibrate contast,brigtness with settings like these once.Only 16-235 works.So looks like it is correct setup?

Thanks very much.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Correct output range depends on the expected input range of the connected display device.

Jaroslavas Macko
    Participant

Display input is HDMI

Jaroslavas Macko
    Participant

Hi,

To not duplicate posts i’m asking here. I’ve made 3D lut calibration for my old Pioneer Kuro LX5090 and it looks like now it has lack of brightness .Can you please take a look at  my attached html file of measurment report.In evaluation criteria there is one NOT OK  paragraph called “RGB gray balance (>= 1% luminance) combined Δa*00 and Δb*00 range”.Is it critical and can i change it and how?

Calibration hardware : Color Munki, Output device: Asus Zenbook UX430U with Intel Graphics Hd 620 via HDMI,

RGB levels: TV-16-235, MadVr- 16-235, GPU – 0-255

DisplayCal: Preset for MadVr ,extended testchart

Can you please inspect the file and tell if it’s good calibration? It is all new for me so i cannot understand all these numbers and symbols 🙂

My purpose of calibration is to watch movies only.

Thank you

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Florian Höch.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’ve made 3D lut calibration for my old Pioneer Kuro LX5090 and it looks like now it has lack of brightness

You can aim for whichever peak luminance you like–for SDR content, between 100-120 cd/m² is usually desired, although personally I prefer lower for a dark room.

In evaluation criteria there is one NOT OK paragraph called “RGB gray balance (>= 1% luminance) combined Δa*00 and Δb*00 range”

Might be as good as it can be. Plasmas have a bit unstable picture due to noise which can affect results, but shouldn’t be visible.

Jaroslavas Macko
    Participant

Thank you Florian.

Do you mean to setup custom white level in 100-120 cd/m2 range in calibration tab?I always watch in dark room so 100cd/m2 dor lasma is ok?Because reslly very dim picrure,white level looks very weak,colours looks ok.

Thanks again

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Do you mean to setup custom white level in 100-120 cd/m2 range in calibration tab?

Not needed, you can adjust to the desired luminance during interactive adjustment anyway.

Jaroslavas Macko
    Participant

Perfect.And what tone curve is recommended for plasmas,is 2.2 gamma will work ok or as measured?
    They are simple questions but i’m strugling tv setup with different settings and still not happy with  the picture.The most important white level.
    The black point is fine.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Perfect.And what tone curve is recommended for plasmas,is 2.2 gamma will work ok or as measured?

When creating a 3D LUT, calibration tone curve should be “As measured”. Set the 3D LUT tone curve on the 3D LUT tab.

Jaroslavas Macko
    Participant

Thanks.And do i need change the curve or preset for madvr works fine with plasmas too?

Jaroslavas Macko
    Participant

And also one omportand question.Before calibration and profiling  should i leave gpu output to full rgb snd switch tv to 16-235 or both 16-235 or both 0-255 (Kuro supports full rgb mode).

Thank you Florian

Jaroslavas Macko
    Participant

And the last one about files structure.

When calibration,profiling and 3D lut procedure is done there is a pop-up window  comes in “instal 3D lut”and this one is going to windows Program Data/Madvr folder so that’s ok for the video playback to load from there i understand that but where is profiling file?I mean yes it also is saved in choosen folder but do i need to load it  in color managment  manually?And when using madvr it automatically disable,why?

Jaroslavas Macko
    Participant

What icc profile should be in windows color management, do i need delete windows default profiles or replace with calibrated one?How to make clear output from laptop to tv without windows managment intrusion?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS