3 curves + matrix profile: could do better?

Home Forums Help and Support 3 curves + matrix profile: could do better?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

grahamh
    Participant

I made a 3 curves + matrix profile for my screen.  Its primaries are a bit off sRGB.

Then I did a verification with a sRGB simulation profile and got the attached a*b* plot.  There are some big deltaEs  (7 or so) along the red and green primary axes.  Surely, if the matrix was properly mapping from XYZ to the actual display primaries, the errors could be much smaller (except close to full saturation)?

Is this expected behaviour or is there a setting that can improve it? (without using a 3-D LUT)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It doesn’t look like this display fully covers the sRGB gamut, and also, a shaper + matrix profile can only accurately characterize a display if it is very linear (higher-end displays may fall into that category, most consumer displays do not).

grahamh
    Participant

It’s an old display with a cheap replacement driver board so I’m not expecting miracles.  I know there’s going to be some saturation compression but I don’t understand why the profiler can’t make a better job of hue matching.  If that’s inevitable with the algo you use, so be it, but if there’s a parameter that can improve things can you point me to it?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

sRGB is larger than your display gamut (and has a different shape). This has nothing to do with hue matching or algorithms. You can only expect accuracy for points that are in-gamut.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS