YCbCr

Home Forums General Discussion YCbCr

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

betazoid
    Participant

Hi,

in my video card driver, there is the option to (de)activate YCbCr (I have an iiyama ProLite screen). What is this actually and is it recommended to activate it or not? As far as I read, this is an option that usually TVs have and it is some kind of color space or so. Anyway, fact is that according to Displaycal, my screen’s color space is up to 4% larger if YCbCr is active. So at the moment it is active. I do not really see much difference between YCbCr on and off. The ECI test image appears to look better, there is slightly more differentiation in the darkest shadows.

Thanks for the answers

Anna

• This topic was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by betazoid.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

YCbCr encodes luma independently from chroma components, which allows (lossy) reduction of the latter’s resolution (YCbCR 4:2:2 uses half the resolution for chroma than for luma). It is often employed for encoding video data. In terms of driving displays, RGB is usually preferable because it limits the amount of unnecessary conversions (your whole desktop is defined in RGB, so setting the graphics driver to output YCbCr forces a potentially lossy conversion, which is then undone in the display itself by another conversion back to RGB).

betazoid
    Participant

How can it be explained that my screen’s color space is 4% larger when YCbCr is active?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

How can it be explained that my screen’s color space is 4% larger when YCbCr is active?

What type of profile have you created? Only LUT profiles will report a relatively accurate figure on gamut coverage.

betazoid
    Participant

Well gamut coverage is always a bit larger when YCbCr is active, no matter what kind of profile I use.
    Yesterday I found out that there is another setting in my video card driver which I suppose should be activated. It is called “Quantisierungsbereich” (see screenshot). If the full color range is active, the difference between YCbCr on and off is not so sigificant (between 0.5 and 1%), but it is apparently still measurable.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS