XYZ LUT vs XYZ LUT + Matrix

Home Forums General Discussion XYZ LUT vs XYZ LUT + Matrix

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

swordinhand
    Participant

Just wondering what the differences between the XYZ LUT vs the XYZ LUT + Matrix profile types are. Is the Matrix version attempting to correct the problems with programs that don’t support LUTs (like preview and finder, etc.), acting more like a Curve + Matrix profile? Or is it something completely different?

Thank you

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is the Matrix version attempting to correct the problems with programs that don’t support LUTs (like preview and finder, etc.)

Yes, these programs will then be able to use the matrix part of the profile.

swordinhand
    Participant

So if I’m building a LUT for Resolve to be viewed through an ultra studio mini monitor I could just use a plain XYZ LUT? In other words the matrix would do nothing for me through Resolve?

Thanks for your help Florian. DisplayCal is such a wonderful app!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So if I’m building a LUT for Resolve to be viewed through an ultra studio mini monitor I could just use a plain XYZ LUT? In other words the matrix would do nothing for me through Resolve?

Yes, exactly.

swordinhand
    Participant

Great! One other question… when I run resolve with an xyz lut (no matrix) loaded as my main profile on my iMac and switch to another program, the screen changes or gamma shifts and becomes lighter. I then have to go into system preferences and switch off the profile and switch back and then it’s turned on again. So basically I have to switch the system profile every time I go into resolve. Is there some way to stop it from switching every time I leave resolve?

thanks again.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Never had that problem. Could be a macOS bug. Generally, macOS itself (Finder, Preview) does not support LUT profiles due to a well-known macOS bug (that has never been fixed by Apple, and probably never will). There’s workarounds for that, e.g. installing a default curves + matrix profile in macOS, thus still keeping Resolve accurate with the 3D LUT (note that both 3D LUT and macOS profile should not incorporate 1D calibration, which it does not by default with the 3D LUT presets in DisplayCAL so if you used that, you do not have to change anything).

swordinhand
    Participant

Thanks Florian!  So In DisplayCAL I would use the resolve rec709 lut preset and then install the basic macOS ICC curve +matrix with BPC profile and then just run resolve with the DisplayCAL created lut as the color viewer lut. Also, turning off “use Mac display profile in viewer”. Does this sound right?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Correct, yes.

swordinhand
    Participant

Thanks Florian!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS