X-Rite ColorMunki Smile or Datacolor Spyder5EXPRESS

Home Forums Help and Support X-Rite ColorMunki Smile or Datacolor Spyder5EXPRESS

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Guan Yu
    Participant

Hi

I am looking at purchasing either the X-Rite ColorMunki Smile or Datacolor Spyder5EXPRESS. I am a hobbyist looking to spend no more than a 100 quid. From what I have found, the difference among the Spyder5 series lays purely in the software. The hardware would be identical which sounds ideal to me planning to use DisplayCAL. Is there any reason I should consider the X-Rite?

Many thanks

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

From what I have found, the difference among the Spyder5 series lays purely in the software

Yes, when used with DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS, there is no difference.

Is there any reason I should consider the X-Rite?

I’ve no experience with the Smile, it is definitely faster than the Spyder5 but other than that, I have no data on its accuracy and precision. If you can afford spending around 50 or so more, you can get the ColorMunki Display which is a superior device to both the Spyder and the Smile (speed, low light performance, accuracy as well as precision). Otherwise, the Spyder5 is probably your best bet.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Guan Yu
    Participant

Thanks so much for your reply. I have picked up the ColorMunki Display as you advised. I bought it for 80 quid so not too different from the other two. They only had a couple of them left in stock though. I cannot wait to calibrate my displays at night to ensure the best results!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS