Working around Python 2 dependency

Home Forums General Discussion Working around Python 2 dependency

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Florian
    Participant

This issue has been brought up on this forum before: major Linux distributions are dropping Python 2 support and thus no longer support displaycal. And it’s understandable that it will take some time to port displaycal to Python 3.

What I wonder is: How complicated would it be to create an AppImage with displaycal, Python 2 and the necessary Python 2 libraries (such as wxgtk) that could work on any distribution thanks to the self-contained nature of AppImages? This would at least be a feasible workaround for the current compatibility issues.

Another alternative could be a Linux USB stick/CD-ROM boot image with displaycal (for example, based on Debian 10). Does anyone one whether such a bootable distribution with displaycal included does already exist?

Prouch
    Participant

Hello,

I agree with you, an Appimage would be just great ! This would allow Linux users to enjoy Displaycal without having to port  it to Python3 (at least not in a hurry). Plus it may be simpler to release than 10+ different Linux package formats.

For those seeking an immediate solution, there’s an (unofficial) Flatpak package on Flathub. Flatpak is available on most Linux distributions, and installing a new app  is pretty straightforward.

I just tested it on Debian 11 Bullseye and it works great. The flatpak comes with every library necessary, I didn’t need to install any dependency, not even Argyll. The only trick I had to use was to modify permissions for /dev/usb/00x/00x but that was already the case using the .deb package with Debian 10 and Ubuntu 20.04.

Hope this will help.

fmafma
    Participant

Hi!

I just launched a calibration using flatpak install, and it worked like a charm. Thanks for pointing this procedure!

The question is: will the profile be automatically loaded at system startup, as it appears to be in a folder local to flatpak? Is the loader installed system-wide?

Thanks,

Frédéric

fmafma
    Participant

To be more precise, I just want the LUT 1D to be loaded in the video card at system startup…

Prouch
    Participant

Hi,

Sorry, I’m new to DisplayCal and I don’t know how to load the “LUT 1D” in the video card at startup (I mean, even without Flatpak involved)… Is this a feature specific to dedicated graphics cards ? I’m currently on a laptop with an integrated Intel GPU.

All I know is that on Debian 11 / KDE Plasma desktop I had to manually add “Profile Loader” to run at startup. Without this trick the profile did not load, although I selected the option after the calibration.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Prouch. Reason: Typo

fmafma
    Participant

I found the solution. Looking at the console while DisplayCAL install the profile, I can see it uses dispwin, an ArgyllCMS utility:

/app/bin/dispwin
    -v
    -d1
    -c
    -I
    'SyncMaster #1 2021-05-01 20-16 2.2 F-S XYZLUT+MTX.icc'

So, I installed the argyll debian package, and, as explained in the ArgyllCMS documentation, added this command in the ~/.config/autostart file (I moved the profile in the ~/.color/icc/ dir, for easiest access).

Hope this helps.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by fmafma.

Florian
    Participant

@fmafma , fantastic, so many thanks for this workaround!
    Works perfectly over here.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS