Windows notifications for profile loader

Home Forums General Discussion Windows notifications for profile loader

• This topic has 6 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Dale.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Dale
    Participant

I read in the 3.1.1 version notes the following change to profile loader:

Don’t use Windows native notifications to overcome their limitations (maximum number of lines, text wrapping).

As a hardcore Windows user, my desire is for all notifications to be consistent and controllable. Meaning, that they appear in the same location, same appears, and follow the rules set by me and Windows.

For example, I like the user experience of the square color coordinated slideout that appears for Windows 10 notifications. It is the user experience that delights me.

Another example, when I have chosen my laptop to be in presentation mode or I am using a full screen media player, Windows rules are that notifications are not displayed nor heard. That is the user experience that delights me.

Having dispCal not align with Windows’ notification rules and behaviors causes dissonance in the user experience and introduces problems with presentations and media players. That is…unless you somehow special case/detect these things which then causes extra work on dev/test and usually a degraded experience for the customer in the area of concern or related one.

I believe that notifications are brief. They are very high level summary notifications. Anything with details or long strings are not notifications and are instead some type of detailed status update which belongs in another UI experience.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Sorry, but Windows native notifications are not coming back, because MS has made an incompatible UX design decision with Windows 10 to turn “balloon” notifications into “Toast” notifications, which serve a very specific purpose that is not compatible according to their own documentation (which is a feat that MS is historically really “good” at pulling off I might add).

Anything with details or long strings are not notifications and are instead some type of detailed status update which belongs in another UI experience.

Which is exactly why the current system exists now in 3.1.1 (user-initiated pop-up instead of Windows notifications).

Dale
    Participant

How can the proprietary notices/balloons/things be silenced and made invisible so that they do not intrude in the cases I described? It would be unfortunate that a tool designed for high quality display itself disturbs the display in critical usage scenarios?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

How can the proprietary notices/balloons/things be silenced and made invisible so that they do not intrude in the cases I described?

I don’t follow. The only occasion you’re actually going to get a popup is if you specifically click the taskbar icon.

Dale
    Participant

If those are all the possible cases, then this is likely a non-issue.
    In version 3.1 or just before that version, I would get notifications from the profile loaders that it did things…like loading a profile.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Yes, this has changed in the current version. You still get a popup if you use the right-click menu to reload or reset calibration.

Dale
    Participant

ok. all clear. If I see any actual behavior different than you describe, I’ll report a separate specific issue on it.

Thanks for clarifying. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS